iPad 3D

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LouieSamman, May 8, 2011.

1. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Do you think this is the right path and if apple will implement it better than others?

I personally would like this because it would add the depth of field look to the screen giving it a more realistic looking icons that the Retina Display also gives.

Opinions?

2. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

Unsure about 3D... I think it's a bit of a gimmick on a 2D device.

3. Malcolm. macrumors member

Malcolm.

3D is a big, huge, massive, gigantic gimmick, and fad. It doesn't serve any practical purpose, it's just another useless "feature" to slap on the feature list to make the consumers think they're buying the greatest thing ever.

Also, the term "Retina Display" annoys me to no end. It's just a screen with high PPI (pixels per inch), nothing more. Marketing, how does it work?

4. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Angry Birds in 3D would be nice; but for the rest I'm not too sure.

Its fun to have it once in a while in a cinema but for my eMail and other applications it would not really add value.

Would need to have a look on the new Nintendo 3DS; maybe my mind would change.

5. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

Given that the Internet is not 3D I don't see much point. I agree with the above, it's just a gimmick, outside of movies it's pretty pointless.

6. Malcolm. macrumors member

Malcolm.

The 3DS is nothing terribly exciting either...in fact, it's actually pretty bad. You have to view the screen at a precisely head-on angle or otherwise the 3D effect just turns into blur.

7. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I don't think it would happen, but I would be happy for the iPad to have a polarised 3d tech screen, meaning it would look exactly the same in normal use and have no impact on the way it works now. But by wearing passive, non flicker, cheap polarised glasses, suddenly you got a 3d display, then I think that's fine.

It would only be a bonus feature and not impact on those who did not use it or normal apps in any way.

8. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Not even slightly interested.

3D is a gimmick and will remain so for a good while, look at how many attempts there have been to get this to work properly over the years.

3D on iPad means I go Android.

9. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Do you mean, even if it was as I suggested, passive 3D with Polarised glasses.

No funny screens, no flickering glasses.

Just looks exactly as normal, BUT if you bought a 3D game or 3D film and wore the passive 3D glasses, only then would you notice anything?

10. Gomff macrumors 6502a

Doesn't passive 3d mean that you also halve the screen resolution?

Personally I'm not that bothered about it all, I agree it's largely a gimmick.

11. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

I actively avoid 3D movies , I will actively avoid 3D tech in other media , there is no use for it , it's a gimmick, until we get true , holographic , in air projected 3D you can walk around and interact with without glasses , I'll vote with my wallet and avoid .

(Annoyed that I can't see priest at the cinema anywhere because of this current 3D fad , and it was filmed in 2D and bloody well post processed to cardboard cut out 3D just to jump on the bandwagon)

Boycott 3D , do the world a favour.

12. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I have noticed many people don't know this, but the Nintendo 3DS has a display adjustment for the 3D effect. When adjusted correctly, it works great.

13. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I believe that's true when the TV is in 3D mode, but I think (though not 100% sure) you get the full res when the screen is acting in normal 2D display mode.

I also agree, it can be a gimmic, but if there is a device which can do 3D and this ability does not make the device have any drawbacks in normal 2D mode, then I'd be happy to have the 3D option for the occasion I'd like it.

I would not want 3D all the time, but I have played on a PS3 in-store with a Motorstorm game in 3D and it was OMG that's fantastic.

14. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Do you even have the most remote idea how 3D movies are made? I guess not! The fact that you can't afford it doesn't mean we have to boycott it.
    Air projected 3D (as you call it) will not be implemented for consumer use for a very long time. There are several issues, safety and health concerns as it requires powerful lasers, too dangerous for home use. Otherwise you'll end up with a faded image.
    Current 3D technology makes your brain perceive the 3D image, so it serves it's purpose. It's as good as it gets for now.

15. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

You should be able to watch a 3D movie on you iPad if you wear the correct glasses. It would have to be one of those movies that come on DVD and bring a few pair of glasses, not the ones that come on BluRay (unless someone finds a way to slightly modify only the frames filmed with one of the cameras, so it could be used with regular 3D glasses.

16. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

+ 1

17. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I'd like to see a few more 3D-graphic effects in the UI, but don't see any need to perceive things popping out in front the actual 2D screen. One of the nice things about the iPad is its viewing angle. Add the best 3D technology to it and you'll cut viewing angle down to a fraction of that. Forget letting more than one viewer watch 3D at the same time. Small screens on phones and PMPs make more sense here.

18. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

3D can stay in films - where it's good. Well, it's not even good in films, because you pay extra and 90% of the films you watch are just the crappy 3D - where it's just depth, and nothing flies at you.

19. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

3D driving games can look nice though.

I'm no 3D fan, and I've never been to see a film at the cinema in 3D.
    However, I was very impressed by playing the 3D Motorstorm game on the PS3 in store on their demo 3D TV.

Having cars appear in front and behind your's and giant jumps in 3D travelling at high speed was quite an experience.

Not for many games, perhaps, but when travelling into the screen in a driving game, it did seem to really suit the 3D effect.

Although the following video, is of course in 2D, I think you can see by the style of game and the type of graphics, how a 3D effect works very well for something like this as there is a LOT of depth to the game much of the time:

http://youtu.be/PF7iUJFLudM

20. TheUndertow macrumors 6502

3D Internet is gonna be surfing Like a Boss.

21. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Everyone who thinks 3D is a gimmick is greatly uninformed.

I doubt any of you who made those comments have seen a modern 3D film on a good screen with good glasses or played a 3D enabled game like Batman Arkham Asylum.

Weather you agree with it or not the masses are embracing it and it's a new level of depth and clarity.

22. Gomff macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I thnk you're right, the Rez halves when in 3d mode but is normal for 2d. I guess if it was an added feature that I didn't have to use if I didn't want to then that would be one thing. The problem is though that between Apple and the movie studios, it could end up being another cash cow that we'd end up being duped into buying. I'm thinking of things like 3d only releases for some movies or apps.....but maybe that wouldn't happen because of the folks who can't see the 3d effect due to visual impairment issues perhaps.....I dunno.

I played gran turismo on a big 3d tv a while back and it was ok, but not amazing. Certainly didn't make me lust for it.

23. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

If anyone wants to "try" a little 3D and has a Touch, pick up the Hasbro my3D device at your local Target store.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I find this militaristic stance against 3D on this site to be hilarious!
    I mean yeah, it took me a while to get into 3D but now I love it. I really hope that this time it sticks, and it appears to be doing so, and "glasses-free 3D" gets perfected.

The 3DS is a good first step. Once the brilliant games hit (OoT, Mario Kart, MGS, Pokemon) I doubt I'll go back to my iPod, PSP or DS for games. I really hope the next iPods, iPhones etc have 3D. Or at least with a method to adjust the depth/switch off for when you're looking at an odd angle.

Having played a PS3 with some 3D games (mostly racing games with a wheel/seat) it's hard to go back. So much immersion.

25. JessicaR macrumors member

I disagree. I think the 3D effect is very useful especially when combined with the PhotoShop. When using layers, the 3D effect works very well. It makes it easy to see what layers you have and what you are working with.

While some aspects are a bit gimmicky, it does make sense for some programs.