iPad 3gen & iOS 8, I hate it I hate it I hate it!

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by wiredup72, Feb 25, 2015.

1. wiredup72 macrumors regular

wiredup72

I am so sick and tired of how awful my iPad 3rd gen has become because of iOS 8. This is the worst Apple experience I have had in my 35 years of using Apple products. I want to break this thing in half. :mad:

I love my iphone and my wife's new MBP, but everything else I have is turning to €h!t because of their half-fast updates.

2. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

Have you done a clean install?

Turning off background app refresh, unneeded location settings, turning off motion and translarency and turning off certain safari settings can make a huge difference.

3. wiredup72 thread starter macrumors regular

wiredup72

I have done all that. Thanks for caring enough to post. #
    Oh look, I have fancy emoji for a page that can barely load. Yay.

4. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

Maybe your iPad has a hardware problem??

My iPad 2 runs nicely enough with iOS 8. It can't keep pages open either, but page reloading is a problem with iOS 8 that is a problem for even the iPad Air (And some say the iPad Air 2).

5. tryphone macrumors member

Sounds like you have a hardware problem. I have two friends with iPad 2's and mini's running iOS 8.1.2 with no problems

6. rbart macrumors regular

rbart

iPad3 "works" with iOS8.
    There are no specific bugs, but it stutters a lot.
    All is slow, Safari is slow, back to springboard lags ...
    It was fast and smooth with iOS5 and 6, correct with iOS 7.1, but iOS8 is too much (or too poorly optimized) for the iPad3.
    This iPad 3 has a Retina display that needs more power than the standard display of iPad2 and Mini (4x more pixels).
    And it's not more powerful ...

7. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Those of you saying that it's a hardware problem because your iPad 2s or minis work fine, you're right and wrong. It isn't specific to OP's device only, but I would say that all iPad 3s have "hardware problems" due to the fact that they are underpowered for their retina displays. The CPU isn't really even an upgrade from the iPad 2, and the GPU, although better than on the iPad 2, is still not at all good enough for the retina display.

8. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

I've used iOS 8 on numerous 3rd gen iPad 3's and it is nothing like the OP has said.

You are correct however in saying that the 3rd gen iPad 3 was a mistake. It actually benchmarks below the iPad 2, due to the modest upgrade to the A5 (A5X) not keeping up with that massive retina display.

9. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Running iOS8 on my iPad 3 without any real issues bar the odd reloading Safari tab etc. Dont do anything to heavy with it, suspect the hardest workout it gets is Real Racing 3 now and then, but generally fine for day to day use.

10. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

Your iPad 3, throw it throw it throw it!!!!

I would suggest getting a cheap Nexus like Android tablet which has 2 GB RAM as minimum. Make sure there is support for CM 12 version.

11. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

Why on earth would you put iOS 7 or 8 on the iPad 3? It ran fine under iOS 5 and 6. You foolishly upgraded, now you have to live with it.

12. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

iOS 7 runs well on the iPad 3.

iOS 8 also seems to run reasonably ok for most people on the iPad 3.

13. Rodster macrumors 68040

I quit the upgrade, just to upgrade thing a LONG time ago. This iPad 3 i'm typing this message on is still running iOS 5.1.1 and it'll stay that way until it gives up the ghost.

It took me several months before upgrading my iPad 2 to iOS 7 and my Air is still stuck on iOS 7.1

14. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

The iPad 3 is a product that Apple should have never released.

My theory is that someone in management pushed "WE MUST RELEASE A RETINA IPAD AT ALL COSTS" and the iPad 3 was the result. And the costs were high. It was under-powered. There were compromises in its design, such as having to make it thicker and heavier because of the power hungry display.

Notice how quickly it was replaced with the 4, which solved its problems. A lot of people who bought the 3 were rightly pissed when the 4 came out immediately after.

I personally played with the 3 in the Apple Store when it came out and I remember how it seemed slow-ish, and that was when it came out!

Sorry you got stuck with one. My recommendation is to just bite the bullet; sell it and upgrade to an Air 2.

15. wiredup72 thread starter macrumors regular

wiredup72

Yep. You are 100% correct and I am not living with it happily or quietly anymore :D

Used to be able to trust apple updates. If a new OS didn't make your machine faster, it wasn't able to install. No more. It sucks.

I may have an old time machine with its hard drive still in it and maybe can find an old 6 or 7 backup. Although I think I harvested its hard drive.

----------

Yeah, like I'm that stupid ;)

I am going to think long and hard before I buy another iPad.
    I used to love it. But if Apple can't figure out which OS slows down an iPad, and then when they are repeatedly told they screwed up, and they still don't offer an option to do an official roll back; well, they can get {<kd

16. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

jonnyb098

I feel bad for anyone who bought an iPad 3. It was a joke, developers knew it was a joke and apple knew it was a joke hence the iPad 4 6 months later. Time to just get a new one.

17. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

OP, the iPad 3 is basically an iPad 2 with a retina display. It takes a lot more processing power to run 4x the pixels, but the A5x chip was barely an upgrade over the A5. I'd upgrade to iPad Air 2 or hold out for the iPad Pro if I were you.

18. Rodster macrumors 68040

I'd take a wait and see approach on the 12" iPad if Apple does release it. If it gets a bump in resolution i'd be hesitant making the same mistake twice if they slightly bump the specs. I'll wait for the second version of the larger iPad.

19. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

But NOWHERE as nice as iOS 5 or 6 runs on the iPad 3.

20. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Your thread title makes you sound like Dandy from American Horror Story Freakshow. "I hate u I hate u I hate u"

21. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

iOS 7 runs around the same as iOS 6. I have friends and family who think it improved stability on their devices.

22. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

While many others personally think and/or know of people that think otherwise.

23. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Yep. That's why I kept my iPad 3 on iOS 6. Laggy, but still very stable. Some of the issues also have to do with app updates that kept increasing the load on the processor. I saw how going to iOS 7 and some of the newer app updates had varied outcomes on my parents' iPad 2 and my daughter's iPad mini. Decided at that point that I was fine with my iPad 3 as is. Still use it everyday.

24. wiredup72 thread starter macrumors regular

wiredup72

I like the cut of your jib fella ;)

25. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

My Mum's iPad 3 is far better with 7.1.2 than with 6, but I guess everyone has different experiences.