Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wiredup72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
I am so sick and tired of how awful my iPad 3rd gen has become because of iOS 8. This is the worst Apple experience I have had in my 35 years of using Apple products. I want to break this thing in half. :mad:

I love my iphone and my wife's new MBP, but everything else I have is turning to €h!t because of their half-fast updates.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I am so sick and tired of how awful my iPad 3rd gen has become because of iOS 8. This is the worst Apple experience I have had in my 35 years of using Apple products. I want to break this thing in half. :mad:

I love my iphone and my wife's new MBP, but everything else I have is turning to €h!t because of their half-fast updates.

Have you done a clean install?

Turning off background app refresh, unneeded location settings, turning off motion and translarency and turning off certain safari settings can make a huge difference.

wiredup72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
I have done all that. Thanks for caring enough to post. #
Oh look, I have fancy emoji for a page that can barely load. Yay.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I have done all that. Thanks for caring enough to post. #
Oh look, I have fancy emoji for a page that can barely load. Yay.

Maybe your iPad has a hardware problem??

My iPad 2 runs nicely enough with iOS 8. It can't keep pages open either, but page reloading is a problem with iOS 8 that is a problem for even the iPad Air (And some say the iPad Air 2).

tryphone

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2015
Sounds like you have a hardware problem. I have two friends with iPad 2's and mini's running iOS 8.1.2 with no problems

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
iPad3 "works" with iOS8.
There are no specific bugs, but it stutters a lot.
All is slow, Safari is slow, back to springboard lags ...
It was fast and smooth with iOS5 and 6, correct with iOS 7.1, but iOS8 is too much (or too poorly optimized) for the iPad3.
This iPad 3 has a Retina display that needs more power than the standard display of iPad2 and Mini (4x more pixels).
And it's not more powerful ...

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Those of you saying that it's a hardware problem because your iPad 2s or minis work fine, you're right and wrong. It isn't specific to OP's device only, but I would say that all iPad 3s have "hardware problems" due to the fact that they are underpowered for their retina displays. The CPU isn't really even an upgrade from the iPad 2, and the GPU, although better than on the iPad 2, is still not at all good enough for the retina display.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Those of you saying that it's a hardware problem because your iPad 2s or minis work fine, you're right and wrong. It isn't specific to OP's device only, but I would say that all iPad 3s have "hardware problems" due to the fact that they are underpowered for their retina displays. The CPU isn't really even an upgrade from the iPad 2, and the GPU, although better than on the iPad 2, is still not at all good enough for the retina display.

I've used iOS 8 on numerous 3rd gen iPad 3's and it is nothing like the OP has said.

You are correct however in saying that the 3rd gen iPad 3 was a mistake. It actually benchmarks below the iPad 2, due to the modest upgrade to the A5 (A5X) not keeping up with that massive retina display.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Running iOS8 on my iPad 3 without any real issues bar the odd reloading Safari tab etc. Dont do anything to heavy with it, suspect the hardest workout it gets is Real Racing 3 now and then, but generally fine for day to day use.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Your iPad 3, throw it throw it throw it!!!!

I would suggest getting a cheap Nexus like Android tablet which has 2 GB RAM as minimum. Make sure there is support for CM 12 version.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Why on earth would you put iOS 7 or 8 on the iPad 3? It ran fine under iOS 5 and 6. You foolishly upgraded, now you have to live with it.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Why on earth would you put iOS 7 or 8 on the iPad 3? It ran fine under iOS 5 and 6. You foolishly upgraded, now you have to live with it.

I quit the upgrade, just to upgrade thing a LONG time ago. This iPad 3 i'm typing this message on is still running iOS 5.1.1 and it'll stay that way until it gives up the ghost.

It took me several months before upgrading my iPad 2 to iOS 7 and my Air is still stuck on iOS 7.1

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
The iPad 3 is a product that Apple should have never released.

My theory is that someone in management pushed "WE MUST RELEASE A RETINA IPAD AT ALL COSTS" and the iPad 3 was the result. And the costs were high. It was under-powered. There were compromises in its design, such as having to make it thicker and heavier because of the power hungry display.

Notice how quickly it was replaced with the 4, which solved its problems. A lot of people who bought the 3 were rightly pissed when the 4 came out immediately after.

I personally played with the 3 in the Apple Store when it came out and I remember how it seemed slow-ish, and that was when it came out!

Sorry you got stuck with one. My recommendation is to just bite the bullet; sell it and upgrade to an Air 2.

wiredup72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011

Yep. You are 100% correct and I am not living with it happily or quietly anymore :D

Used to be able to trust apple updates. If a new OS didn't make your machine faster, it wasn't able to install. No more. It sucks.

I may have an old time machine with its hard drive still in it and maybe can find an old 6 or 7 backup. Although I think I harvested its hard drive.

----------

Sorry you got stuck with one. My recommendation is to just bite the bullet; sell it and upgrade to an Air 2.

Yeah, like I'm that stupid ;)

I am going to think long and hard before I buy another iPad.
I used to love it. But if Apple can't figure out which OS slows down an iPad, and then when they are repeatedly told they screwed up, and they still don't offer an option to do an official roll back; well, they can get {<kd

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I feel bad for anyone who bought an iPad 3. It was a joke, developers knew it was a joke and apple knew it was a joke hence the iPad 4 6 months later. Time to just get a new one.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
OP, the iPad 3 is basically an iPad 2 with a retina display. It takes a lot more processing power to run 4x the pixels, but the A5x chip was barely an upgrade over the A5. I'd upgrade to iPad Air 2 or hold out for the iPad Pro if I were you.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I'd upgrade to iPad Air 2 or hold out for the iPad Pro if I were you.

I'd take a wait and see approach on the 12" iPad if Apple does release it. If it gets a bump in resolution i'd be hesitant making the same mistake twice if they slightly bump the specs. I'll wait for the second version of the larger iPad.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Your thread title makes you sound like Dandy from American Horror Story Freakshow. "I hate u I hate u I hate u"

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iOS 7 runs around the same as iOS 6. I have friends and family who think it improved stability on their devices.
While many others personally think and/or know of people that think otherwise.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
While many others personally think and/or know of people that think otherwise.

Yep. That's why I kept my iPad 3 on iOS 6. Laggy, but still very stable. Some of the issues also have to do with app updates that kept increasing the load on the processor. I saw how going to iOS 7 and some of the newer app updates had varied outcomes on my parents' iPad 2 and my daughter's iPad mini. Decided at that point that I was fine with my iPad 3 as is. Still use it everyday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.