iPad 3's Killer Feature

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vrDrew, Mar 14, 2011.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

You won't need to sync to your home PC. In fact, many people will be able to buy and use it without having access to a PC at all.

This is based on nothing more than speculation. But if you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. Consider the following:

1) Apple has spent a billion or two building a huge data center in North Carolina. What for? Providing cloud storage for a couple hundred million iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch customers sounds like a not bad use.

2) Imagine the appeal a ~$500 computing device that does the web; e-mail; games; photos; music; etc. will have to millions of (current) non-PC owners. People who DON'T WANT to EVER deal with the hassle of maintaining a computer. Who don't have the space, time, money, or inclination.

3) Look at the strategic investments Apple has made in companies like Lala. All orientated toward "cloud based" services. Why else did they buy them?

4) Steve Job's used the expression "postPC." Different people have varying definitions of what that actually means. But freeing people from the need to own, let alone interact, with a noisy, dusty, troublesome electronic box seems like a good way of going about achieving it.

5) Imagine the potential market. Right now, Apple is working toward selling ~40 million iPads a year. Which is fantastic. But this is based on the idea of the iPad as an additional device. Something people own to go with their laptop, desktop, etc. But what if you didn't need that ~$400-$1200 PC to begin with? What if the iPad 3 did everything you wanted? Suddenly the market goes from those people with an extra five or six hundred dollars to spend on a convenience, to the billions of people around the world who simply have to do some computing.

There will obviously be some technical challenges in making that sort of thing happen. The biggest, obviously, being the ability to safely and securely download, unpack, process and install a multi-megabyte iOS update. But I cannot believe that it will prove impossible.

Tell me whats wrong with this concept.

Discuss

2. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

That's NOT iPad 3's killer feature.

That is iOS 5.0's killer feature and it is coming this summer to the iPhone 4 & 5 and iPad 1 & 2.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

its all speculation.

4. ea9 macrumors regular

Say it isn't so ! This won't be available to my iPod Touch 4? ;)

5. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

It's speculation, but it's good speculation. There's no doubt that iPad's future is as an entirely stand alone device. The only question is how long before the transition is complete.

6. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Your iPod Touch is nothing more than a smaller iPad ;)

I think it's all about cloud. Syncing will always be there but you don't have to use it even now. I rarely sync my iOS devices to my computer, if at all outside updating, and download everything through App Store on the devices, Dropbox, Goodreader, etc.

7. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

The killer feature is probably going to be a higher resolution screen, storage increase, and the A6 chip based on a 32 nm process (ARM Cortex-A15 dual-core and ImgTec Series 6 "Rogue" graphic).

8. Carouser macrumors 65816

Because you don't think it will happen or because you don't think it will be a big deal?

If the iPad can stand alone and replace computers for the majority of the population (something which will only happen once, since it can't replace computers twice) this will undoubtedly be a bigger deal than an OS update.

Discuss.

9. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

Come on, us swanky iPhone and iPad users forget about Touch thingys. :D

10. tsekh macrumors member

iPad 3 killer feature is that it kills iPad 2

11. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

Ummm... did you even read what I wrote? I agree that the iPad can stand alone and the iPad IS getting the features the first poster suggested... BUT it is tied to iOS 5.0 which is coming in just a couple of months NOT tied to the iPad 3. That means the iPad 2 WILL HAVE THOSE FEATURES and there won't be a need to wait for iPad 3 for them.

What is iPad 3's killer feature? Oh come on, that is easy. Retina.

12. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

You obviously missed his point. All the improvements listed by the OP are software improvements that will come to other iOS devices, not just the iPad 3.

13. Carouser macrumors 65816

Point taken (calm down, champ).

EDIT: high-fives to any other pedant who wants to pile on, bravo

14. ea9 macrumors regular

Yeah I heard about that. Taking the iPod Touch, making it bigger and somehow they couldn't fit the Camera's anymore :p

... that's why I just ordered a couple iPads2!

All jokes aside - From what I understand Apple is pushing the Music/Video industry to allow re-downloading your media as many times as you need.

It would make a lot of since because if I want to own a 720p (and eventually 1080p) iTune TV season, I need a 'spare' 32gb of space in 720p. And probably around 90-100gb's for the eventual 1080p version. Don't forget you also need to back them up :mad:
    That's the main reason I only bought 1 TV season up to now.
    It would be nice to be on my iPad and just stream my owned content directly from Apple when I'm ready. Without paying 100$ a year for mobileme...

I rather just download the show I want to watch when I'm ready !

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

But why is that an iPad 3 killer feature ? Seriously I want to know...

I know of two iPad first gen 'only' users that already do exactly what you say is 'the future'.... They have no computer to sync to at all, and have never owned one. They bought iPads as their first ever foray into internet, email etc...

All music and app's on their ipads has been bought via iTunes or App Store on the device. One set-up a gmail, the other bought a mobile me account.

So should I be jealous because they've got this killer iPad 3 feature already... errr no because anyone who chooses to can do the same. ;)

So I fail to see the point your making at all.

16. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Umm, being pedantic usually means being excessively picky about minute details. You missed the whole point made by canyonblue737 and now try to somehow blame others as "pedant"? :rolleyes:

But this thread makes me curious as to what Apple will put as the headliner of iOS5. Will it be the new cloud service? notification?

17. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Because, no matter how you slice it, iPad is still a computer accessory, not a full fledged stand alone device.

18. ufkdo macrumors 6502

ipad 3's killer features will be retina display and a quad-core A6 CPU (maybe)

19. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'd think an integrated cloud service would be an iOS 5.0 thing, not a new hardware needed thing.

I'd expect the iPad 3 to have a higher resolution screen, slightly better cameras and maybe a faster processor. All stuff I don't see as a big deal given my basic uses of it, so I'll stick with the iPad 2 for at least a couple years.

What I really want anyway is a slate PC that comes close to the iPad in design and battery life and has some new touch optimized version of Windows. Maybe that will be out by 2012-2013 when I'm really ready to move on from the iPad 2 anyway.

20. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

How do those people install an iOS update? What do these people do when they fill up their 32gb iPad with a couple seasons of "Lost" and "Desperate Housewives"?

I agree that, from a technical standpoint, it's not a huge leap from setting up your iPad on your kid's laptop, or have the people at the Apple Store do it for you. But I believe that from a conceptual standpoint, it has huge implications.

Apple moves in small, but often world-changing ways. Was there anything "earth shattering" about the iTunes or App stores? Not really. But they way Apple implemented them had tremendous effects on everything from the music business to the market for third party software.

Right now it's technically "possible" to own an iPad without a PC. But it's risky, inconvenient, and puts you at the mercy of someone who owns a laptop or PC.

Enabling the full benefits of iPad ownership, including seamless backups of your data as well as software updates, while explicitly allowing this to be done without access to a PC would, IMHO, be a ral game changer.

21. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Apple isn't going to stand still for two years, dmaul1114.

22. swy05 macrumors 6502

I seriously doubt it.

Why would they do this? If they did this, they would be cannibalizing their own desktop and laptop business.

The ipad may become "stand-alone"-esque (it already is) but, it'll never be a full-fledged stand-alone machine.

As mentioned numerous times before, it's a device for consuming, not creating.

23. Applenewstoday macrumors regular

Applenewstoday

Psh, forget quad core. its all about the 12 core xeon processor with 32GB of RAM running Mac OS 11 :D i can dream, cant i?

24. poloponies macrumors 68030

Presumably, that's the point of the cloud. You can delete content from your iPad without concerns about whether the deleted data can be recovered (presumably because Apple will let you download it again). I delete content from my iPad and refill from SD cards, all without computer access, on the go now, so that's not a big stretch on added functionality.

25. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Because desktops and laptops are not the future of the consumer computer industry.