Ipad 4 mini it is

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sjleworthy, Nov 27, 2016.

1. sjleworthy, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016

sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

i was going to hang on until March next year for a new Pro Mini. We hope. But current rumours dissmiss this, so......

Just decided to purchased (from john lewis online) a mini 4 to compliment my 12.9 Pro. I've a vacation coming up in a couple of weeks and could do with the portability and camera of the mini4. I know it's still a most competent tablet and should be for a few seasons to come too. So, as it's only a travel device, thought i couldnt wait and jumped in :)

Also purchased a ReGear Pro stylus to go with it (on sracer's recommendation, cheers buddy :) ). I'm lost these days without my Pencil in my hand, so hopefully this will be the next best solution.

On hindsight if a new 7.9 incher is released this coming Spring i dont think i'd worry too much. It is only a secondary device for me anyway.

Hurry up mr postie!!!!!

2. Kostas3000 macrumors member

Nice! I hope you will have many wonderful moments to capture with the camera and many interesting ideas to jot down on this new iPad mini!

I have the same dilemma, however I don't have a pressing need to get the mini and I might wait until March. The reason is that I love the pencil and I would like to have the ability to use it on my mini.

how do you use the mini when you also have the 12.9?

In my case I plan to use the mini:
    1. when I am in the subway (almost 1 hour of time available for productivity each day). The iphone6+ has a screen that is too small for studying PDFs, while the 12.9 iPad is too big to carry it around or use it with one hand.
    2. When I am in bed. I spend all day standing upright and looking down. When I am at home I lay on the bed to study, my neck and back hurt too much to sit on a desk. When I am lying down, the 12.9 is too big. I have tried stands, pillows etc but nothing works well. I find much more convenient to use my 12in rMB when I am lying on my back. The keyboard acts like a stand and I am able to study for hours, but I would prefer this studying to be done with an iPad (better apps for studying).

Given that you already have the combination of 12.9 and 7.9 iPads, I would appreciate if you could share your thoughts regarding the suitability of iPad mini for the uses that I described.

3. deany, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016

deany macrumors 68030

deany

I'm a Mini fan and a JLP fan can you please provide link, thanks
    --- Post Merged, Nov 27, 2016 ---
    Can I guess your job- Doctor or Vet?

I dont think your a grave digger somehow!:)

4. sjleworthy thread starter macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

I have several powerfull pc's at home in my home office doing my day to day job. My 12.9 inch is also on my desk, permanently entrenched on it's Smart Keyboard providing all my admin and social needs. It doesnt move from my office and i'd be devastated without it now.

I plan the mini to be my mobile tool of choice anf leisure. In bed. On the couch. On holiday. On site etc etc etc.

I'm also a professional and amateur artist, so the mini will be fabulous for me in taking photo ref and compositions when im out and about painting or sketching outdoors.

I already use my ipod touch 5 for this, but the battery is pretty poor and the screen is just way way to small for me to enjoy.

I've had a regular sized ipad2 for several years, but never warmed to it's size for some reason. I love the 12.9, but it's too large for roving about with, and i find a phone/iPod too small. Hopefully the mini will bring me joy :)

5. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

LOL it's contagious!

I'm thoroughly enjoying the mini 4 on my Thanksgiving break, but I have to keep reminding myself that it is supplementing my 12.9 iPP not a replacement/duplicate of it. So that means being a bit more judicious in what apps I install on the mini compared to the Pro. It really is simply a shrunken down version of the Air 2 (which I was quite pleased with before getting the iPad Pro).

6. bensisko macrumors 65816

Congrats on the Mini! It really is an excellent device!

The portability of the mini makes it a great daily carry device - I just wish Apple would make a Pencil compatible device! I've tried a ton of different stylii and nothing comes close to a dedicated stylus (be it Apple Pencil on the iPad or the Surface Stylus on the Surface Pro). That would make the Mini the absolute PERFECT digital sketchbook!

7. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I have a 12.9 iPad pro and iPad mini 4 as well, and very much like the combination. The mini is for reading pdfs (which a phone would be too small for), books, gps, Internet, taking notes, and e-mail on the go. I bought the 12.9 pro for work as a teacher use it every day there as white board and digitial notebook. It's also great for watching movies, though I wouldn't have gotten it for that alone.

8. HarryWild, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016

HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

My Mini 2 is still my favorite computer when I am relax in bed or lounge chair! I just purchase a Pro 9.7". but really want a Mini Pro! May return it and hope in March that Apple releases it! If not, then I have decide if I want to get the Mini 4 or the next size if I return the 9.7" now.

Update: Went to Apple Store to check out the 9.7" and found the "icons to be huge" and went to Target and returned the 9.7" Pro. I going wait for the Mini in January, March or October! Still happy with my current Mini!

9. emembee macrumors regular

emembee

Do send some feedback on the stylus if you can, though really I am only interested in writing for notes or annotation. I've just got a refurb 4 but miss the Apple Pencil for accuracy. I find the Wacom bamboo too squishy and the Adonit jot pro not ideal for precision, often misses strokes!

Congrats on the mini, superb for portability, let's hope Apple don't forget it in the upgrades (whenever they are)!

10. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

Here's my current setup for my newly acquired Mini 4....

Mini 4 w stylus and keyboard (smaller).jpg
    The case is from my favorite tablet case maker, Fintie.

The keyboard is actually from a Logitech keyboard case for the iPad Air 2 that I bought refurbed for ($15). I carefully cut off the cover part leaving a very nice bluetooth keyboard behind.

The styli, from left to right... Bargain Depot w/rubber tip (I like this over other rubber tipped styli because the tip is smaller and the stylus itself is longer), Adonit Jot Classic (love the stability of the disc and precision, and no it doesn't scratch the screen), and the DotPen (a AAA battery powered capacitive stylus...NOT a bluetooth stylus).

Although these styli are no where near the quality and capabilities of my Apple Pencil, I have used these for a long time on my iPad Air 2. I use all three, but decide on which one depending upon the application.

Here's a tip that I ran across, rather than trying to use apps with palm rejection, invest $2 in cotton medical gloves and cut off the finger pieces on the thumb, index, and middle fingers. This makes a quick-n-easy artist glove that really works well.

With the larger surface of the Air 2, I had to use the glove for extended sketching/diagramming, but I'm finding with the smaller screen of the Mini 4, I can get away with not using it as much.

11. Dave Meadows macrumors 68030

Dave Meadows

What cases do you mini users prefer? Anyone use it without a case? And for reading books, like on the Kindle app?

12. ericwn macrumors 68000

I never had a case for my iPad mini, just a smart cover once, which was nice. I like to use most of my devices without cases, if possible.

13. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

I frequently (like right now) use mine with just a smartcover. Otherwise I favour thin, clear cases that protect the back. I don't like bulky cases for my devices either.

14. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

I do too! The problem I have is that there are no 3rd party smart covers and I can't bring myself to spending $40 for the official one.

15. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Yeah, that was the first and only time I've bought an official Apple case/cover. They're generally way overpriced. But as you say, there's no third party alternative in this case.

16. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

I don't use a case I did not want add to the thickness. Great reading kindle books.

17. sjleworthy thread starter macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

any tips for a smart keyboard, or a keyboard cover, or just a BT keyboard, specifically for the mini?

18. HarryWild, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016

HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

I had several cases, covers when I first purchased it at the Apple Store but did not like them. Much easier just without them - easier to hold and better looking too! It been three years still love my Mini!

Hope it gets redesign with the latest SOC and 4GB RAM this time around. The Mini has always gotten hand me down components, but I think Apple realizes that people what latest components, not two year old technology inside any more! If they add the "Pro" after the Mini better not be cripped like Apple been doing on the 9.7" with still only 2GB of RAM!

19. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Great choice. The mini 4 is one of my favourite iPads. I keep it in my work's laptop bag so it is with me during the day and it is my travel iPad when out and about. I still prefer the 9.7 Pro at home as it is the perfect size for me for surfing and emails etc. and the 12.9 Pro is used mostly for media late in the evening or some more productive tasks as you can't beat that bigger screen.
    For me, it is similar to the camera analogy of the best camera is the one you have with you. The mini 4 is the only one I travel with and I love it for that.

20. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

Since my Mini 4 is also complementing my 12.9 iPad Pro, I don't see myself using a keyboard on the Mini as much as I do on my Pro so I have opted NOT to get a keyboard cover for it... for a few reasons... first, the size of the Mini limits how large a keyboard as a cover can be and second, because there are not a lot of options for quality keyboard COVERS... there are plenty of keyboard CASES, but I like the option to simply pop off the cover to use a tablet.

I've settled on a bluetooth keyboard. Currently, I've repurposed the keyboard part of a Logitech keyboard case for the Air 2, but eventually I'll get something like the Microsoft universal mobile keyboard or Logitech keys-to-go.

The Composition Notebook case from Fintie works great, but I'd rather just have a smart cover. I'll wait it out to see if there is a 3rd party option arrives or if the Apple cover goes on sale.

21. sjleworthy thread starter macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

i might just opt for a smart cover actually. just thinking of emails whilst on location.

22. ssledoux macrumors 6502a

ssledoux

Mine is coming today - finally!! I had an issue getting it with ATT, but I think the lady on the phone had screwed up the order, because I cancelled and reordered and it shipped within a day. I had to get one with data and they are giving me the unlimited free on this device, so I couldn't really go for a deal.
    Anyway, I decided not to do a full case since I mainly want it for reading in bed and want it to be as light as possible. I got a silicone back cover and a protective glass (all my devices have a protective glass). I'm really excited to get it!

23. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

The composition book cover is awesome... I'm still with my "rMini" aka Mini 2, and still loving it. I also hope a mini pro comes out in March, I'll definitely upgrade if it's available. If not, I may just keep with the Mini 2 until it dies on its own.

24. profets macrumors 601

Having used a 9.7" iPad Pro quite heavily for the past 8 months as mostly a primary device, I keep itching for the 12.9". But I can't picture using the 12.9 in all the situations where I use the 9.7. I can totally see how the mini would complement the 12.9" beautifully.

25. vince_ross macrumors newbie

As far as a keyboard...I bought an Anker bluetooth from Amazon and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ONMDYE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the cover...I bought a Targus 3D protective case. It was a little more money, but it has a really good feel to it and isn't too bulky.

https://www.amazon.com/Targus-Prote...35326&sr=8-2&keywords=targus+mini+ipad+4+case

I also got a tempered glass screen protector for it, but can't remember if it was from eBay or Amazon. Anyway, it was around $10 for 2 of them.