iPad 4 now... iPad 5 in Feburary??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PeturR, Oct 27, 2012.

1. PeturR macrumors newbie

I was shocked Apple has releases the "NEW" iPad 4 earlier this week.... but anyone know if they will release the "BRAND NEW" iPad 5 in coming February?? or they just want to make some minor upgrade for the Christmas???

2. aziatiklover, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012

aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

No, and 8 month is not that early! I rather have apple to update the ipad in 8 months than 18 months for the iphone 4s to be release! Or yet samsung releasing a galaxy all sizes you can imagine every month.

3. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

I am tellin you guys ! It is a Silence before the storm !! I am sure Samsung is getting full loaded to fire a barrage of devices against this APPLE's ploy ! SAMMIE BOY IS GETTING READY !

4. vince. macrumors newbie

Doubt any new iPad will be released before next fall.

Imagine if Apple DIDN'T update the iPad with the new Lightning connector. Then you'd have all of these devices (iPad mini, iPods, iPhones) with newer technology than their flagship iPad. Can't have that.

Plus, if Apple sticks to a fall release schedule, they can build hype around the iPad product line for the holiday season - prime time for any retail company.

Before, fall was all about iPods and music. Now that the iPad is making more money and gaining more traction, I could see Apple giving the attention to iPad.

Of course, it's all speculation, and few outside Apple HQ knows what the intentions are - just a simple rambling from a fellow geek :D

5. MrMacBookPro macrumors 6502

Febuarty is just way to early... Maybe March/April.. at least 6 months then we might start seeing spy images like we did with the mini...

Honestly who knows now.. The cycle is all messed up since the ipad 4 etc...

Hope the 5 will be thin like the iMac only smaller..

6. westcoastcyc macrumors regular

7. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Would suck for the people who just sold off their ipad3 to purchase an ipad4 to see a new new redesigned ipad 5 a couple months later.

8. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

I won't be surprised if they do. This want a major update. Apple has done this before with their computers. We seen them spec bump devices before they upgrade them totally.

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The Nexus 10 leaked. It's gonna give the iPad quite a run. That's why Apple released the iPad 4.

10. Powrie macrumors 6502

If the iPad 5 cant play full versions of PC games I wont be buying one.

The new Windows 8 Tablets can play normal versions of games.

Not these low quality metro games that were developed for phones.

11. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

I was shocked to hear that Google/Samsung is going to top the Retina display on the iPad. Plus that new A15 processor appears to be the real deal. And knowing Google it will not be over $400.
    It looks ugly but that's what happens when lawyers design tablets.

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The Pro version will, not the RT.

13. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

all iOS devices will release in September-October time frame going forward.

14. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Yep. Apple wanted to release the Mini in October for the Christmas/holiday season which is great timing for iOS devices, so they bump the full sized tablet update up a few months to "sync" iPad revision cycles.

They _might_ go a little early next year, like maybe September, but I doubt we'll see any iPad updates earlier than 6-7 months.

15. MacinTosh.0 macrumors member

They ticked off a lot of people with this refresh, so I don't think they would do it again this soon. I'd say either end of summer to late fall is when we'll see a redesign

16. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Just quoting you to comment on your username ... nice job :D

17. urkel macrumors 68030

I think what you mean is "October is way too soon for the iPad 4". :D

At this point then Apple proved that they will do whatever the heck they want so as end users then all we can do is be ready. My guess is that they WILL do a refresh earlier than later beause the current iPad just looks stale and doesnt match the aesthetics of the rest of the iOS family.

18. Liquinn Suspended

Recommendation
    Buy Now! Product just updated
    Last Release
    October 23, 2012
    Days Since Update
    6 (Avg = 311)

Today is October 29, 2012 so that means that 305 days from today would be August 30, 2013

Hmm... interesting.

19. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I believe the cycle has been shifted to October. They either could have done what they just did or waited until next October to release this iPad 4 which still would have pissed everyone off.

20. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Am I the only person who doesn't think of the current iPad as "iPad 4"?

Yes, it's the 4th generation iPad. It had a minor revision recently to bump the processor, tweak LTE support and add the (frankly mandatory) Lightening connector.

Will there be another iPad revision in ~6 months? Possibly, yes. This is a very new and fast growing market with intense competition, tablets are going to need to stay current in order to compete.

Maybe we'll even get a new enclosure in ~6 months time, but I'm guessing that's more likely ~12 months away unless they find a way of slimming down the huge battery/tweaking the Retina display.

The iPhone, I think, will retain its current naming strategy. The iPad is being treated much more like a computer by Apple. It's "The iPad", like "The iMac". Major redesigns will be trumpeted every now and then, but we'll see minor revisions along the way to keep it current.

That's how I see it, anyway :)

21. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

The impression I got with the October announcement is that Apple intends to move the iPad announcements to the fall before the holiday shopping season. I think the next iPad announcement will happen in the fall and there will be none in the spring.

22. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The Surface RT tablets can't so you'll be paying a grand for one that can.

23. steve dave macrumors 6502a

The feeling I got is that they have relegated the ipad to a part of their pc line and they will update it whenever the hell they feel like it. The same as they do for laptops and iMacs.

24. iPhisch macrumors 6502

Pretty much means only the Mac Pro left that wasn't updated between July and October. If they keep this on yearly redesigns, what are they going to release in the other three quarters of the year? Maybe they need 6 months to hype that new TV...

25. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

lmao....

So games like N.O.V.A, Modern Combat, Order & Chaos, Real Racing, all of the EA Sports games etc....are "low quality metro games that were developed for phones"?

Must be some pretty awesome phones ;)