iPad Ipad 4 owners upgrading to Ipad Air?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jayinla, Nov 1, 2013.

?

As an Ipad 4 owner, will you be upgrading to the ipad Air?

1. Yes

48 vote(s)
    59.3%
  2. No

33 vote(s)
    40.7%
  1. jayinla macrumors regular

I'm an ipad 4 owner who is thinking about upgrading to the Air? I love the thought of a lighter, smaller ipad with the same screen size. Just curious to here if other ipad 4 owners are considering the switch?

2. eliehass macrumors regular

I'm an iPad 4 owner who just purchased the iPad Air. I didn't want a Mini, because I really like having a larger screen, so having an iPad with the same size screen that is both smaller and significantly lighter is HUGE for me. Plus the shape of the iPad Air feels much better in your hand.

3. rpearlberg macrumors 6502a

I'm considering it, but can't decide. I just bought mine in August...32GB AT&T.

4. gmaines macrumors member

I have both the 4 and the mini.. Just bought the iPad air 128 GB. I will get it on the 4th.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Have an ipad 4 64gb, but right now the resale value on these things are really low so I'm still contemplating. I don't mind the weight or size of the 4 as I don't travel with it.

6. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

A few months ago, I said that even if the only change was making it lighter, I would buy it. Well, now I have it, upgraded from the iPad 4. Current resale value means I paid $300 to upgrade.

After using it all day, I am leaning toward it not being worth it. All the minor performance problems I noticed before are still here (iOS 7 related, I suppose). I'm sick, so I've been laying in bed, holding the iPad upright for a few hours. Other than the more rounded edges being more comfortable, I am actually surprised that the lighter weight isn't more noticeable.

I do like the slightly smaller size, and the matching Smart Cover. I am concerned that a new iPad with the fingerprint scanner, 2gb ram, and laminated display will debut in a year. I am also assuming that apps won't be optimized for 64bit until then as well.

This literally feels like an iPad 4, but lighter. Same cameras. Same RAM. Same screen. Same battery life. The A7 chip is amazing on paper, and the weight loss is nice in practice, but is it $300 nice? I have 14 days to decide, but as of now, I will assume I am returning this.

7. puma1552 macrumors 601

I have the same, and gamestop is currently offering a whopping $540 for trade in on the 64 gig ipad 4 wifi. $416 in store credit plus another 30% if you buy a 99 cent used game, so that's $540 in in store credit, which can be used to purchase amazon gift cards where you can buy a new air soon.

I too am considering it, I really need to figure it out soon.

8. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Mine is on eBay as we speak. $425 with over 2 hours left. The Air is much nicer!

9. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

No. I might get a 16GB Air in addition to my iPad 4 but I'm waiting for a 256GB iPad before I splurge.

10. OSMac macrumors 65816

Not really an upgrade as we plan to keep the 4 on iOS 6 too.

If I was only keeping one, it would be the 4 on IOS 6,
    or even better install iOS 6 on the Air.

Just not a fan of the look of iOS 7, not yet anyhow.

11. dantracht macrumors regular

dantracht

Waiting for the retina mini.

12. iDave macrumors 6502a

Version 4 was my first iPad. My first and lasting impression was that it's too heavy. Otherwise, I've loved it and it's the perfect size for couch surfing. Lighter will be much nicer. Can hardly wait for my new one to arrive.

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I think I'm going to hang on to my 4 and get a retina mini when they are out.

14. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Lol, same here. All the iPads at home are still on iOS 6. I reckon the iPad 4 will probably be my longest lived iPad unless Apple suddenly releases an iPad Air 256GB in January or something.

15. Ubele macrumors 6502a

I'm still happy with my 64 GB WiFi iPad 4, and while the smaller size and lighter weight of the Air are nice, I don't consider the 4 to be too heavy. It's still plenty fast enough for the apps I use. I'll probably upgrade next generation, but I want to compare the Retina mini with the Air.

Next time, I'll probably get the cellular model and max out the storage to 128 GB. Having done some traveling over the past couple years, I've noticed that some places that used to have free WiFi now charge for it by the hour, and other places have cellular access but no WiFi. It's a convenience thing. As for 128 GB, I want either my iPhone or iPad to be able to hold my entire music collection. iTunes Match on the Cloud is great — as long as you have a strong WiFi or cellular signal. On some recent road trips, I had neither, so I had no music to listen to.

16. iDave macrumors 6502a

I'm indifferent to the iOS7 interface changes. Most of the time I'm looking at a web page or an app anyway, so it's no big deal.

BTW, what's the weight of a smart cover? I haven't used one but it seems the extra weight would bring an iPad Air up to the weight of an iPad 4. :confused:

17. dazz87 macrumors 6502

Nah happy with my ipad4. Plus Im on 6.0 with JB......No need to get into 7.0

18. calvol macrumors 6502a

After reading about display problems in another thread, think I'll just buy the iPad2, skip the 5, and buy the 6 next year when it has decent RAM and Disk numbers (hoping for 2/32 base config like the new Nokia 2520 pad). I bet Apple does the 6 in six months!

19. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

I'm at the Air, in a roundabout way.

I had the 3, sold it to a friend, bought a 4 refurb from Apple, figured if the 3 was good enough for me, the 4 would be that much better and still stay a little more relevant value wise.

I was within my return period when the Air came out today, and to my surprise there was plenty of supply (not like getting my 3 the first time around). It was less than $190 after returning the refurb to go with a 32gb Verizon Air, so I pulled the trigger and figure stay that much more invested and get that much more use and value for next year's go round the iPad update...

I like it, though it doesn't feel as premium as the 3rd or 4th gen felt to me, both in terms of rear shell and touch of the glass.

20. Centris 650 macrumors 6502a

Centris 650

I use my iPad for everything to the point it has replaced my lapptop. I switched for the increased speed and the reduced weight/size. 100% glad I did!

21. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Bought my 4 in August too. Two reasons: I like the wider bezel and I wasn't sure about iOS 7 on it (I bought a 5s, so I am running it anyway, but wanted to wait until things had settled down a bit on the new release before putting it on the iPad).

Both rendered moot.

The first: I hadn't realized (or forgot, with reference to the Mini) that Apple had factored in holding the device by the edge and extending the thumb onto the display. It's designed to ignore that sort of touch (it's even noted on Apple's site for the Air; probably also for the Mini, but never looked at that.)

The second - keeping iOS 6 - was rendered moot the week before last when I had decided the uneven backlight was not going to be tolerable. I only had to hope I got a replacement with 6 installed. It did, but it was 6.0.1 and there is no way to restore from backup and have it upgrade to anything but iOS 7 (and you can't do the restore without upgrading). The replacement still wasn't quite right, so Tuesday this week I took it into the store (the other was handled by phone support) and they exchanged it. This one came with 7.0.1. So much for my plan on keeping iOS 6. But, at least I had a good display.

So by the time the clock ran down this morning, I decided to sell the 4 and get the Air. I will enjoy having the latest, and besides the A7's performance and "future proofing", I will get an immediate benefit from the MIMO wifi, as I do a lot of transfers and, of course, wifi sync. I also jumped from 64 to 128 GB.

“The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.” :rolleyes: :eek:

22. Breitling65 macrumors 6502

Done and no regrets, ipad4 got sold to weeks ago. Air is different beast and I love it.

23. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Bought my grey Air this morning, just sold my 4, the buyer left half an hour ago and I have the cash in my pocket :).

Well worth the upgrade, the Air is so much nicer to hold and use, and surprisingly speedier in use, I was surprised by how much quicker large PDF files open and render when compared to the 4.

24. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Do it. Much thinner, narrower, and lighter and faster.

25. tkmcguire1 macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

Sold my ipad 4 16gb white yesterday on Amazon,ordered the 16gb Air last night on Apple,then found out today my local Best Buy had them in stock
    So I cancelled the Apple.com order,the only thing is the preauthorization was charged,so it's tying up $543 on my CC,plus the $544 I spent at Best Buy.
    I called Apple and they are suppose to get back with me in 24hrs,so they can fax my bank and get the Authorization taken off.
    But anyways,I just got it,haven't even had a chance to take it out of the box yet.