iPad 4G Buy Now or Wait Until Sept 12?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Renaldo63, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Renaldo63 macrumors newbie

I know, I know, don't ask these simple questions .... but, since I have, I would appreciate your thoughts.

I am selling my iPad 2 ATT 16GB and want to get a new iPad4G ATT 64GB. I want more GB and the retina screen primarily, and I do have unlimited data.

So .... any thoughts about whether the iPad 4G (not mini, if it happens) will be improved and announced in September? I have read that perhaps the issues with heating and couple of other things might be addressed. I can wait if it makes sense.

Thanks

2. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

based on your observations noted above, i'd tell you to wait until the ipad 6. By then, the heat issues you are concerened about, the improved retina screen you yearn, the battery life issues you speculate will all be resolved.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I own an iPad 3 and feel that the "issues" have been greatly exaggerated. Mine doesn't overheat and has a perfect screen. My only beef is that the battery takes much longer to charge--so that could be improved.

I don't think its likely that Apple will update the iPad in September, since they seem to be more inclined to release products late than early but anything is possible.

If you didn't already have an iPad I'd say you should get one now. However, why not hang onto the iPad 2 you have and wait for the next revision?

4. Renaldo63 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies ... even the sarcastic one A-L

Thanks Barkomatic, your actual experience related is much appreciated. I really like the screen and speed of the iPad 3 and will get one.

5. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

:D congrats when you buy the iPad 3 :)

6. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Unless you'd rather have a smaller iPad, I don't see any reason to wait for Sept 12.

7. maxap, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012

maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Renaldo63, I am practically in the same position as you are. I love the new iPad, but am definitely waiting till the 12th of September.

You never know what Apple will announce and it is always possible that they will introduce some internal changes to the new iPad (as it happened with the iPad 2,4). Probably, it won't be anything "spectacular", but a new type of (hopefully, MagSafe) charger, shorter charging times (that's what really bothers me) and that's it, I guess.

My advice would be: wait 3 more weeks and see what will be announced by Apple. Then you won't feel bad about buying such a great device now, as it may become even greater. :)

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Apple updates the full sized iPad once a year, but if it makes you feel better then by all means wait.

9. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

The chances of a new 10" iPad being released in September are slim. The current model is already ahead of the competition and it doesn't make sense to release a new one after just 6 months. If you're decided on the 10" model, go ahead and get it.

10. SlyMac macrumors 6502

I have a retina iPad with 32GB and ATT (I do wish I went with the 64GB as the 32GB goes fast). Other than that, I love it. I have not had any overheating issues as some have reported. All of the issues I've read about I think are really just overblown.

As for buying now or waiting, I'd say wait. If you're looking for a new iPad, why not wait a few more weeks just to be sure there isnt some random upgrade that you want. You might even get the current gen at a discount if there is a small revision to the retina iPad and you dont need/want it.

11. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

I'm kinda in the same boat, my ipad 2 was stolen, but I have insurance on it so they are gonna cut me a check, I do use my ipad work I'm torn if I should wait or just go buy the new iPad.

12. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

I thought I wanted the iPad Mini but I already have (32GB, Wi-Fi) BlackBerry PlayBook. Unless you want the Mini I don't see the point of waiting.

I saw a great deal on kijiji and I also wanted to see what Retina is all about so I picked up the 32GB 4G new iPad today. I'm just about the set it up & sync it...

13. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I have the iPad 3 and love it (had an iPad 2 prior). Does get slightly warm if doing something heavy and takes longer to charge, bit I'm not bothered by either.

14. donnaw macrumors 65816

I think that if Apple makes any changes to the iPad in Sept it will be just the connector. However, that's probably worth waiting for since it's probably the new Apple standard.

Just my 2¢

15. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

I thought about this but the money I save, I can live with the 30-Pin.

BTW, I'm loving it. Retina!

16. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Why on earth would anyone buy an iOS device right now!?

17. willmtaylor Suspended

willmtaylor

My exact thoughts. That would be the only change, though. It might not even happen.

18. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I'll eat my shorts if any changes to the current iPad are announced on Sept 12. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever. The product is selling very well and they're clearly on an annual release cycle. It would be horrible management to get customers anticipating a new or amended product release every six months.

Unless you think you'd like a smaller iPad, just go ahead and get the new iPad. It's a great piece of technology.

19. Renaldo63 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great answers all! Thanks ....

Thanks everyone for weighing in. I appreciate all your replies and it makes my choice even more informed. Love this forum!

20. irDigital0l Guest

You should wait because Apple might implement the new smaller dock connector with it.

It'll be the same specs and everything, but if your going to get Apple devices that last like 2+ years, you might as well get the one that will have the newest dock connector.

Its going to be a pain the ass when you realize that you need different cables to charge your iphone, ipad, etc.

Saying this because Apple is going to revamp everything:

-iPhone
    -iPod touch
    -iPod nano
    -iPad mini (possible)

with the smaller dock connector. It makes sense for them to also update the ipad.

21. donnaw macrumors 65816

Glad you're happy with your decision. Have fun!

22. zinman macrumors member

I just returned my iPad to Best buy this morning in hopes of something different on September 12. If not, I will just go buy another one. The thing is, I've been without it for 4 hours and I already miss it dearly! :(

23. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

What the heck are you expecting?

24. gpatrick15 macrumors regular

Apple has been planning this move from the 30 pin connector to the new connector for at least a year or so. If they were going to put it in the new iPad, it would have been done already.

25. zinman macrumors member

Honestly, I don't know. All I keep hearing is an "updated model" with the new dock connector. I guess I'm looking at it from a cables standpoint: If I buy an iPad, iPhone, and a new nano after the Apple event, then I'll have 3 of the new cables for easy charging around the house. Everyone here might think I'm dumb for doing that, but like I said, if nothing new comes out, I'll just go buy another one as if nothing happened.