iPad 5 in Spring?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by reRESERVEDMD, Oct 28, 2012.

1. reRESERVEDMD macrumors member

I've been wondering...

Many of you say that Apple will not release another iPad this spring. They've already replaced their current offering way before their regular cycle. I've also noticed that the iPad 4 has the same design as the old one. I'd assume, they'd want to make it look a bit more like an iPhone 5. Black and Natural options for aluminum, chamfered edge, all metal buttons just like the mini. Am I wrong?

I've been planning on getting an iPad again and held off due to the Lightning port only.

This thread isn't a blueprint, rather a place to exchange opinions about possible early upgrade.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Maybe. But between now and then one should use and enjoy what's available and worry about upgrading later. Life's too short.

3. jigzaw macrumors 6502

This is the one thing causing me to be unsure about getting the iPad 4th Gen. I had been waiting for March anyway to get my first iPad but now Apple's kinda thrown us for a loop by launching a 4th gen only 6 months after the 3rd.

I would assume this was just a mid-life refresh and the next one would still be coming, but the keynote made it a point to keep saying that this was the "Fourth Generation", not just an update. That makes me think there's no way they would create a "generation" that would only be on the market for 4 months. That would be crazy.. right? Or would it?

4. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I agree.

Ipad 5 won't be far off and it will be a redesign I think :)

5. MrMacBookPro macrumors 6502

i would say March would be spy shots and released in April or wait till 3rd quarter for a new one.. All these threads about waiting lol.... Get it now and stop waiting or you'll be waiting for ipad 6....

6. jbimler macrumors regular

Everyone else (google, amazon) seem to base their upgrades in the fall. Maybe there is more sales potential for that time of year? I assume both iPads will refresh at the next "iPad" event so if I had to guess I'd say next fall.

7. blackbelter macrumors member

So you think Apple has not had enough of whiners when they shortened the lifespan of iPad 3, and thus plans to do this again to iPad 4 in Spring?

I simply cannot understand your mode of thinking...

8. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Same can be said for apples mode of thinking. They release what they want, when they want and tell the user they're using it wrong.

9. blackbelter macrumors member

In fact what Apple said is totally understandable. Bear in mind that all Apple cares about are three things: making money, making money, and making MORE money. What else do you expect Apple to say when it comes to their products?

10. chukronos macrumors 6502

I believe they will release the new version in the spring. It will resemble the mini form factor.

11. Noisemaker Guest

There's no reason to update in March/April now. They had several good reasons to update the iPad now, alongside the Mini.

However, if they update in March there's no real benefit, and the timing is bad.

They had a pile of reasons to update now:

-Sub-par performance on iPad 3
    -Screen issues on iPad 3
    -Heat issues on iPad 3
    -New Lightning Connector
    -Line unification
    -Freeing up the March/April keynote for other things
    -Bringing the iPad event into the early school year
    -Bringing the iPad event into the holiday season

I think it's a one-time thing. In fact, I so firmly believe it that I bought an iPad 4. I'm sure in March that my gamble won't seem like it was a gamble at all.

12. MF878 macrumors regular

MF878

The way I see it, they're moving the iPad to just after the iPhone because it allows them to engineer the base SoC for the iPhone (A6 in this case) and then implement the -X version (A6X in this case) that offers matched performance when made to power the extra pixels of the iPad's retina display.

13. reRESERVEDMD thread starter macrumors member

This sort of thinking does make a lot of sense. I also understand Apple wanted to push the Lightning connector as quickly as possible to all of their devices; that way, customers don't have to deal with two different cables, etc.

Holiday season also means a lot of sales, and the ability to customize further iPad models to compliment the iPhone which comes out before it as MF878 already mentioned.

14. JohnnyAndre macrumors regular

I would definitely expect a slimmed down blacked out iPad 5...

In October.

Detailed reasons in this article
    http://doodadr.com/

15. beg_ne macrumors 6502

iPads probably aligned in the October time frame now. Just as the iPhone was from it's summer release.

Spring was a bad time to start with because 1)It was just after the holidays so they missed the holiday season. 2)The timing has been bad for new SoC which usually intros in the spring.

Now they have time for something like the ARM15 core to actually be ready and available, then they can have their custom SoC actually start ramping up and in production with the newest stuff rather than having to miss that because they shipped their new product a month before new SoC could be available.

16. sak2013 macrumors newbie

I believe that we will see an iPad 5th generation in the spring. If not, what to introduce in the first half of the year? TV? I think that they are not ready to introduce the "TV". And the rest of the line has been updated... The minor changes in the iPad 4th leave the door open for an iPad with the form factor similar to the current iPad mini. But not in October 2013, the competition is now to big.

17. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I hope so as I will be pretty tired of using the old iPad 4 by then! :p

They will likely stretch the new iPad like they did the iPhone. I got to play with a surface and the extra restate come in very handy. They will make the mini retina and give us a bigger iPad!

Hurry Spring!:eek:

18. MrMacBookPro macrumors 6502

cool article.. thanks

19. sneaky butcher macrumors 6502

apple have done what they need to do with the cpu increase on the ipad 4.

samsungs exynos 5 and qualcomms s4 pro chips spank the ipad 3 a5x into oblivion. Apple needed to upgrade the ipad or face fighting tablets with double the power at the same price.

Apple will only respond when the competition forces them so until samsung go quad core with their exynos 5 the ipad 4 will remain the top device.

Rumors are that could be as soon as march/april if they give the galaxy s4 the qaud. Personally i dont think they will and will stick with the dual core thats in the nexus 10.

Next ipad = October

20. sak2013 macrumors newbie

Ok, but the nexus 7 has Quad-core. So by your logic, apple needs to respond. For example, they could reduce the weight of the 4th generation to the iPad 2 weight, by using the screen technology that is used in the iPad mini. Or I am wrong?

21. sneaky butcher, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012

sneaky butcher macrumors 6502

nexus 7 has tegra 3 quad-core cheaper not the very latest like the exynos 5 and s4 pro.

These new dual core chips outperform the old quad core chips in the nexus 7.

The ipad mini as powerfull as nexus 7.

Ipad 3 gets beat by the new dual core chips but ipad 4 with new a6x catches up a fair bit and real world performance will be very close to the new dual core chips.

nexus 10 spanks ipad 3 (over twice as fast)
    ipad 4 = nexus 10 (new exynos 5 dual core)
    ipad mini = nexus 7 (older tegra 3 quad)

in terms of power and screen res ipad 4 can fight nexus 10 even though nexus 10 is slightly higher screen res and cpu speed. Real world I dont think there will be much diffirence but we can wait and see.

22. racer1441 macrumors 68000

I say no.

Computers will be spring / early summer for back to school. iPad and iPod will be fall for the holiday season.

23. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

This. The question is though, will apple release a new mini and reg size iPad simultaneously every yr in the fall?

24. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

No spring iPad releases, they've reset the refresh cycle.

If they had planned to do a big refresh in the spring, they would have made the upgrade to iPad 4 a *silent* upgrade, not a big splash (or explicit mention) at the mini's launch event. Now people are certain this iPad is *new*, so will be happy buying it for the next year, at which time it'll be updated along with the iPad mini, just in time for the holiday buying mania.

Buy now, don't wait.

25. sak2013 macrumors newbie

I'm not so sure.
    I am not convinced that apple won't release any mayor selling device in the first half of the year. The competition is to fierce. So what to update? Or what to release?