iPad iPad 5 internals: What do you think?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MartinAppleGuy, Sep 27, 2013.

1. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Seeing as the iPad 5 is nearing it's release (fingers crossed); what do you think the iPad will get hardware wise? Doesn't have to be fact, just what you think us likely.

Personally; I am seeing 2Gb of ram. The iPhone 4 had 512 then the 4s had 512. But then the iPhone 5 had 1 and then the 5S had 1. Seems like Apple do two generations before upgrading the ram and the iPad 3 and 4 had 1 so I think an upgrade is likely. What do you think?

2. irDigital0l Guest

3. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I think the A7X is 100%. Just hope your wrong about the ram(iOS7 on an iPhone 5 has around 400 mb free ram max, with iPad 4 being even less). Even 1.5 and I would be happy. Remember that the iPhone 5S never got a ram upgrade because there was no space for it; I'm sure they would find space in even a slimmer iPad.

4. irDigital0l Guest

Just being realistic.

Do I want more RAM? Yes

Will Apple do more RAM? ehh...

Apple's priority is to slim down the iPad 5 while keeping 10 hours of battery and get a Retina display on the iPad Mini and still have 10 hours of battery.

Next year with the iPhone 6 and iPad 6, I think they will add more RAM and possibly drop the 16GB models.

5. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Thanks for the reply :) I see what you mean; I just have hope :) I guess you believe the iPad 5 will use a G6630 powervr GPU (as the iPhone 5S got the second highest GPU and the G6630 is the highest and should be used for the higher display).

6. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

A7X is given.

2GB RAM maybe, it's time.

I would like to see 802.11AC and TouchID. These two factor on if I upgrade.

7. Tsepz macrumors 65816

Tsepz

Yep, I think that the A7X is definitely a given.

RAM? I hope it's 2GB, BUT considering how well the iPad4 runs with 1GB RAM on iOS7? I'm not sure if Apple will see the use in putting in 2GB RAM, I think they'll focus heavily on graphics, but who knows? Maybe the A7X will require more RAM and so maybe they'll bump it up to 1.5GB if not 2GB.

8. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

The iPhone 5S doesn't have AC, so I doubt you'll see that.

I think it's going to be A7X and 2GB ram for the full sized iPad. The iPad3 was the first to get 1GB ram, so it's likey the full sized iPad will be the first to get 2GB. And it's about time for it, too.

----------

They could definitely fit 2GB ram into the 5/5S. They're just not going to do it, because they'll be putting 2GB in the iPhone 6 *marketing incentive*

9. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

They have more thermal leeway for both more advanced WIFI chipsets and RAM.

10. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

The iPhone 5 can in fact fit 2GB RAM. Also WiFi AC doesn't really take up any physical space. They could have easily added that no problem.

My personal opinion is if they were going to add it to the iPad, why not the iPhone???

11. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Power consumption. The iPhone has always been slightly behind the iPad in terms of 802.11 radios.

iPad received both 802.11n 2Ghz and 802.11n 5Ghz support before the iPhone.

12. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Ah good point

13. daywiz macrumors regular

In all probability, the ipad 5 may go in with another variant of G6 ROGUE series, if history repeats itself. Apple does indeed want to raise the power punch of the graphics in their devices, so its the logical way.

iphone 4 - A4 with PowerVR SGX 535 - Series 5
    ipad 2 - A5 PowerVR SGX543MP2 - Series 5XT
    iphone 4S - A5 with PowerVR SGX543MP2 - Series 5XT
    ipad 3 - A5X with PowerVR SGX543MP4 - Series 5XT
    iphone 5 - A6 with PowerVR SGX543MP3 - Series 5XT
    ipad 4 - A6X with PowerVR SGX554MP4 - Series 5XT
    iphone 5S - A7 with PowerVR SGXG6430 - Series 6
    ipad 5 - A7X with PowerVR SGXG6XXX or SGXG6XXXMP4 ( Series 6 or Series 6 XT????)

We will have to wait to find out. As for 802.11 Wifi AC, i think will make the cut for the ipad.

With iPhone 5S picking up the 1GB LPDDR3 vs the 1GB LPDDR2 of iphone 5, I do believe, the iPad will pick up possibly 2GB of LPDDR3 Ram. Apple is not going to jump the bandwagon and simply load up on RAM like Samsung's Note 10.1 2014 Edition, without first optimizing with they have. Because the ipad is expected to be a more powerful model, possessing a better processor, and more graphical power, and picking up the 64bit OS, its likely to pick up 2GB. Someone previously pointed out on one of the other threads, that its quite unlikely it to see 1.5GB of Ram, its either 1 or 2 (double). More isn't always the right way, and besides we do know Apple is always a bit stingy with memory. :p

14. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

Nowhere in my quote was physical space listed as a reason.

I said thermal. Also battery life could ne an issue.

15. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Thanks for the reply. I agree with the whole "no 1.5Gb ram" idea. I just feel that with the iPad always being the more powerful one of the two (the iPad 4[2012] has the same overall graphical performance as that of the iPhone 5S) and with the iPad always beating the iPhone to the Ram upgrade, I really do hope that the iPad 5 has 2Gb of Ram.

I feel that the upgrade for the iPhone will be greater that that of the 5S as an iPhone 5 runs iOS 7 fine but an iPad 4 seems to be a lag fest! So hopefully 2Gb of DDR3 Ram as well as a G6630 GPU (and of course an A7X variant clocked slightly higher); the iPad 5 will handle great :)

----------

Doubling the Ram in the iPhone 5S could have had a bad affect on the battery life but seeing as the iPad is rumoured to use a more erergy efficient screen and all; 2Gb Ram won't hit the battery too hard. At least there is room for slightly less battery in an iPad; compared to an iPhone that has a short battery life as it is now.

16. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

iOS 7 doesn't run we'll on an iPad 4 though...

17. Cyloncat macrumors regular

Cyloncat

Given A7 or A7X, I would expect 2GB RAM. 64-bit executables are bigger than the same app compiled as 32-bit, for the simple reason that address fields are bigger. Add on a graphically intense application, particularly drawing and visualization apps that are built for the large screen area of the iPad, and you end up needing much more memory to accomplish the same task. A 1GB iPad5 might end up feeling underpowered in much same way as the iPad3.

Long ago (early 1980s) I talked to one of the IBM engineers who worked on re-architecting the IBM 370 to go from 24-bit to 31-bit addressing. (Yes, 31.) When they studied the second- and third-order effects of having so much more memory available, they ended up re-architecting the entire bus and controllers for external devices, and processor control became such a big deal that the processor controller became a separate, external box. By the time these machines went into production, the change in address size was the smallest change in the entire architecture.

18. csrini1 macrumors regular

19. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

They way I see it is that why have so much more power when an app can't utilise it because of limited RAM. Games are a good example; increasing the power of the CPU and GPU to allow for higher resolution textures and more things on screen but not allowing it to do this because there is not enough free memory for such increases.

Today I looked at my free RAM on an iPhone 5(1Gb of DDR2 RAM) and with iOS 7 on it; it only had around 380Mb left. It is getting to the point that iOS is using more RAM that a desktop OS ( it uses more that XP and around the same as Vista!). 1Gb of RAM is not suffice for a device with that kind of OS and to have programs running on it. The iPad 4 has even less RAM available (I'm guessing it is to do with the increased resolution).

I see no point to such an increase in both processing and graphics while only having 300Mb of RAM free to play with such power. I hope that do add 2Gb.

----------

So hope your right :)

I am guessing 64bit dual core A7X running at 1.4/1.5Ghz with PowerVR G6630 GPU and 2Gb of DDR3 RAM. The processor and GPU are basically 100% because of what the iPhone got (and the iPad would need the extra graphical horse power for the larger resolution) so it is only the 2Gb of RAM that I need to cross more fingers for :)

I will be pre-ordering a 64Gb iPad 5 as soon as possible and it will only be a few days before I get it that I will find out how much RAM it has got (via teardown's).

20. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Those two items right there are going to determine whether or not I get an iPad 5 or just an iPad 4 refurb.

21. matttye macrumors 601

I think the iPad is getting to the point where it could replace a desktop, to some extent. Not for any kind of serious content creation, but for casual users.

What I'd really like to see is the ability to plug an iPhone into an iPad to backup/restore/sync it!

And iPads should support multiple users with different environments. TouchID is PERFECT for this. It need not be complicated.

As for the internals.. yes, A7X, 2GB RAM. I'd like to see an IGZO display for improved battery life but I don't think this will happen yet.

I'm pretty sold on it already, even though I don't know what it has.. 'cause my 2 is feeling a bit dated. I'll either be getting a 4 or a 5 depending on whether I think the differences are worth the extra cost.

22. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I have found iOS 7 to be laggy on an iPad 4 so unless you can get one running iOS 6 and are fine having quite a few apps not being compatible with it then go for it; but I seriously doubt that you would be fine with that. From what I have seen, iOS 7 runs better on an iPad 2 that an iPad 4 (retina display to blame I'm guessing).

I personally feel that just having the GUI of iOS for iPad could make it much more like a desktop. Make it so there is a desktop where you can put icons, a dock that can hold more shortcuts, notification center is accessed from the right (like on Mountain Lion, swipe from the very right of the screen), have a dashboard(2 finger swipe to the right) which contains a calculator and weather and other stock apps all displayed at one time.
    Then have launchpad that takes you into the "home-screen" for all your apps. Make it so all apps launch full screen but make them behave like full screen apps on OSX and have mission control to see all open apps.

I think that would be a great idea.

Back to hardware; if the iPad gets the same jump as the iPhone 5S got from the iPhone 5, then the iPad should easily brake the 200 Gflops barrier in terms of graphical performance. A PS3 is around 174Gflops so this is a big deal. Just for reference; an iPhone 5 is 28.8Gflops, an iPad 2 around 12Gflops, an iPad 4 76.8Gflops and an iPhone 5S 76.8Gflops (the same as the iPad 4). I think it is a worth while upgrade for you :)

And that's not just guess work. The iPhone 5S has a Powervr G6430 GPU. Seeing as iPad not only get the higher end GPU's but also need them, there is only 1 GPU higher than the iPhone 5S's. The G6630. Imagine Technologies (the creator of the GPU's) says that that model can actually perform over 1Tflop(1000Gflops)!

It is really looking like the iPad 5 will be the first mobile device to outperform PS3 and Xbox 360.

23. fteoath64 macrumors regular

fteoath64

I think 2GB of RAM is pushing it considering Apple's stinginess in things hardware but 1.5GB might just be given instead. And this ram is much faster timing than current ipad. ALso, on CPU speed, they might just let it do 1.5Ghz instead of capping at 1.3ghz. iPad needs the horsepower more so than iPhone. On the gpu side, I think the A7 in the iphone has one core disabled to save power while the iPad6 will get the fullbore MP4 for the retina display. So just incremental but the A7 64bit is the very big deal here.
    :D

24. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

A clock speed increase is 100%. As for the GPU; the iPad will be using a G6630 which is an even bigger increase that that of the one in the iPhone 5S(G6430).

25. Fission macrumors regular

It's not about something being a good idea to US, but a good idea to APPLE...Unless they find the iPad 5 suffering with just 1Gb ram, they WONT increase it...

Now, with all the new games such as Call of Duty, they may increase the ram and processor clock speed.