iPad iPad 5 Leak Points to June Release

Discussion in 'iPad' started by roytherock123, Mar 1, 2013.

1. roytherock123 macrumors newbie

Is the fifth-generation iPad coming out in June? MiniSuit, a manufacturer of mobile accessories, thinks that the answer is yes.

The company is so convinced that Apple will release the iPad 5 in June that it is already investing in the production of a new case for the tablet. BusinessInsider has obtained the first image of the case, which could reveal the look, size and shape of the new tablet.

A representative from MiniSuit told BI that his company invests in tips regarding the release of future mobile products. He thinks the latest info he received is pretty accurate, hence the production of the iPad 5 case (and accompanying iPad Mini and iPad 4 cases) shown above.

Apple: Needham Repeats Buy Rating, But Trims Price Target
    Eric Savitz
    Forbes Staff

Apple Is Beta-Testing A Fix For Evasi0n Jailbreak
    Andy Greenberg
    Forbes Staff
    If the June release is accurate, it would be Apple’s third iPad upgrade in less than 18 months. The company surprised the world last fall when it released a slightly improved full-size iPad alongside the newly designed iPad Mini. That upgrade arrived seven months after the third-generation model.

Apple has yet to release individual sales figures for the iPad 4 or the iPad Mini. Prior to their release, the company sold 100 million tablets. Last quarter Apple another 22.9 million units. Thus, when Apple said that it sold more than 120 million iPads, one can assume that number came to 122.9 million.

Bloggers and analysts have estimated that the iPad Mini now accounts for at least 50 percent of all iPad sales. A report out of Taiwan estimates that the Mini accounts for 75 percent of all iPads sold.

This isn’t necessarily a problem for Apple. As long as the company does not lose any sales to Google, Amazon, Samsung or Barnes & Noble, the company can continue to lead the tablet space.

However, if the iPad Mini takes over, Apple’s margins will continue to drop. With consumer demands always rising (for Retina Displays, faster processors, more memory, etc.), it may be impossible to turn the iPad Mini into an equally profitable device.

While a number of smartphone manufacturers have made announcements at the 2013 Mobile World Congress this week, Apple has decided to stay on the sidelines. This is a common practice for the firm; instead of going head-to-head with the competition, the Mac maker prefers to hold its own press events.

It is not yet known when Apple will unveil its next product. If the iPad 5 is released in June, however, an event could come as soon as this May.

2. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

3. irDigital0l Guest

Its going to be WWDC or nothing.

I rather have Apple release new iPads in April.

This spring is going to be a boring one.

4. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

iOS 7 = iOS 5.3 (because iOS 6 = 5.2)

and iPad 5 = repackaged iPad4 precisely with A6x/1GB and 5MP with predictably enlarged mini design and IGZO to incorporate a slimmer design.

Well that right there would be great, because IGZO would mean Sharp, and Sharp I'm pretty sure means quality on these retina displays.

But zzzz... I hope not :D

5. sonicpace macrumors newbie

I wouldn't be surprised to see the iPad 5 before June. An announcement next month seems likely. I think we'll see it hit stores in either April or May.

6. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I myself am seriously thinking of trading in my iPad 2 (32 GB white Wi-Fi) for the 5G iPad (the rumored new model with the 9.7" screen and iPad mini-like case design) when that comes out. While my iPad 2 has done excellent service, I would like to get the new model not only for the higher-resolution Retina Display, but much faster internals.

7. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

IN the same iPad 2 boat. Sooner the better in my books.

8. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

A few things I want if this is true...

1) Redesigned iOS (but nothing too dramatically different)

2) 128 GB storage option

3) 8 mega-pixel camera (or higher)

4) Slimmer design (well, not too fussed about this)

5) A Logitech Ultra-slim keyboard cover (the one for the current iPad is indispensable for me), or equivalent...

9. roytherock123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Only thing I care is when it launch... :(

10. Samtb macrumors 65816

It doesn't look like well see a launch until summer at the earliest. If its going to have A7X, it could be later.

11. dinggus macrumors 65816

Soon we're going to start seeing new device upgrades coming out every month!

12. Samtb macrumors 65816

Possibly but it doesn't seem likely.

13. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'm thinking the iPad 5 *might* not have a significantly improved chip over the 4. If that's the case, you're basically paying for an iPad 4 with a new case design. I learned this the hard way after buying the iPad 3. Even though the chip was improved a little over the 2, the retina display nullified any performance improvement. Still, retina and LTE capability made it still worth it for the 3-- but on the 5 that's a given.

With tablets starting to get powerful enough to approach ultra book performance, I think we'll start seeing apps and functions that will require significant speed improvement -- and that means that a redesigned case may not be the best value in the long run.

14. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

Tablets with ARM and Apple A-chips are nowhere even close to 20% of core i-series equipped ultrabooks performance.

15. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

1) OS is separate to hardware.

2) iPad 4 already has 128GB option, so of course the iPad 5 will.

16. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

I just meant to say that I hope iOS7 is out before the next update.

And typical of Apple, they may not use 128 GB for the first wave of the redesigned iPads (hopefully this isn't true, but still...)

17. MindsEye macrumors regular

Pretty much my wishlist with A7x or whatever it may be, being a quad core chip with 2GB ram.

18. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

What do you mean by "ultra book performance"? As others have pointed out, the iPad is nowhere near the performance of current laptop/netbook processors.

19. roytherock123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope it release in March. I have waited for a long time :(

20. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

I think the case redesign is a big deal. If it has the less reflective sceen, igzo, lighter and thinner along with a small speed bump then I see that as pretty good.

Lighter and thinner is important. When I hold my ip4s and compare it to my wife's ip5, it's like night and day. I'm expecting the same with the ipad 4 to 5. Or in my case ipad 2 to 5.

21. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

22. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

no iPad 5 or iPhone 5S/6 will come out without Tim Cook mentioned iOS 7 first... iOS 7 --> iPhone 5S/6 ---> iPad 5 because you don't know what iOS 7 will work with new hardware ie Siri does not work with iPhone 4 only 4S/5. :apple:

23. buysp macrumors 6502

More interested in iOS 7 to start off with. This will be the deal breaker for a lot of us.

24. Samtb macrumors 65816

I think summer or fall is most likely.

25. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Of course it is not true. The iPad 4 already has 128GB of storage, so the iPad 5 will also have this option at launch.