All iPads iPad 5 Light Enough?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LouieSamman, Oct 29, 2012.

1. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

To be held with one hand for long periods of time.

People want the iPad mini more for the weight being so light that you don't always have to hold the device with two hands.

If the iPad can continue to get lighter and thinner than I can see a lot of people who switched to the mini to the regular 9.7" iPad.

I think weight is a big factor for the iPad that I think Apple would focus on for the iPad 5. That's why I am not getting the mini as the iPad 5 would be lighter and more portable as the mini.

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

The iPad 3 was actually thicker due to the Retina Display. With that being said, I foresee Apple getting the 5 a bit thinner than the 3rd or 4th gen.

I'm getting the iPad mini just for the fact my 3rd gen is a bit heavy at times. While I enjoy reading on it, I could use a lighter iPad for books and magazines. Retina or not.

3. blackbelter macrumors member

4. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

To me I love Retina and don't want to go back. maybe when the iPad mini has retina then it's a good buy but for what it is at the price point. Not so crazy to buy. I do also want the iPad mini for the light weight so I don't have to hold the device with two hands all the time.

I prefer using one hand to hold the device while being able to have the other hand free the entire time without coming to a rest on the iPad. The iPad mini is just that but don't forget that with the iPad 5, they will make it lighter and thinner which might just be light enough to hold with one hand for a long period of time.

It has nothing to do with arm strength. More with gravity holding the device down and it slipping from your hand because of such weight.

5. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

If they can find new technology by that time to make thin retina 10 inch display.

I believed if Mini makes it to the second gen then there should be retina display support but of course it will be heavier and hotter over time. Apple now pull back its chip manufacturing from Samsung so we will have to see whether there will be any innovation in the near future.

How come ipod touch 5 with retina doesnt get hot when you play games for long period and it could be made so slim and light.

6. RenoG macrumors 65816

Haha! wow, just say you want the mini because it seems like a totally cool device and be done with it. Its ok, really ;)

7. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

At 163 PPI, I think it'll be just fine. While my last 4 devices have been Retina, iPhone 4, 4S, 5 and iPad 3rd gen, I'm okay with the Mini not being Retina. As the iPad 3 has shown, it's heavier and gets warm pretty quick if your brightness is high. I'm not looking at the Mini to replace any items, just to accommodate my current devices. Need something smaller and lighter, grab the Mini. I also like the fact that it will be much more portable. While the iPad is portable, the Mini will be much easier to tote around and since I have tethering, it's a no brainer.

Stop trying to convince yourself you don't want one and just go ahead and grab the 16 GB. :)

See, I'm not the only one that thinks you want one. ;)

8. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

I second the workout recommendation. The iPad is already pretty darn light. As part of my job, I hold up booklets and such for about 8 hours a day that are around the same shape, size, and weight of the iPad mini and I can see the importance of the mini because of it, but at home I use an iPad a lot and the weight really isn't an issue for me.

All that being said, I imagine it's going to get thinner and lighter. It's Apples current direction.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If you are stronger you can hold heavier things longer; I do find it laughable to call something that weighs 1.4 pounds heavy. I don't work out very often and I have no problem holding the iPad with one hand for long periods. At this point I don't see how Apple can significantly, like down around a pound, reduce the iPad 5's weight without using a different case material.

10. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Thinner glass and carbon fibre + more efficient CPU/GPU that uses less power, hence smaller battery.

11. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I hate all the insulting people telling others they aren't strong enough.

It's not about strength (although it might be if someone has a disability). Everyone can hold an iPad. It's just a lot nicer to hold a smaller, lightweight one.

Sure, I am strong enough to walk around with a 40 pound lead weight added to my backpack, I'd just rather not have it there.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

But it affects all of us when Apple chooses a smaller capacity battery just to make it lighter.

13. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

That's a valid preference, and one I happen to agree with. But it's a completely different point than simply insulting someone for not being strong enough.

In any case, I feel that Apple has established a 10 hour run time and will stick to that as a minimum. Note the iPad 3 got thicker and heavier in order to support that run time with the retina screen.

Making the iPad thicker and heavier was a pretty big deal, so Apple's priorities for the full size iPad are clear. If weight and size reductions come, they will be due to technological efficiencies and new battery technology, not by reducing the run time.

I don't think you have to worry about reduced run time.

14. WLS macrumors 65816

That won't help at all. Sounds like a snide remark to me.
    I can do 60 pushups just fine myself but the weight of the iPad3 stresses my forearms flexor muscles which are not the muscles you use to do pushups with. I have tendinitis of the forearm from doing too many pull ups and holding anything in one hand too long makes my arm ache. That is why I for one would see an advantage from a lighter weight iPad.

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

In all seriousness the SmartCover helps with fatigue. I fold mine in the triangle, place it behind the ipad, and it makes it easier to hold the iPad with one hand. While I find the magnets are strong enough for this, I do have it in a Belkin SnapShield just in case it tumbles.

16. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

I agree with Danny Zuko who said, "his brains are in his biceps," meaning that comments such as these are typically made by people who don't read books. :p

17. poloponies macrumors 68030

You're not going to see dramatic weight reduction in the next full-size iPad. The display, aluminum case and battery comprise nearly all the weight of the device and while Apple may realize a slight improvement on those components its likely going to go to improving battery life or possibly an ounce or two in weight loss.

You want smaller/lighter? You're in luck, we now have a mini.

18. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

I'm just wondering what major change the next version of the full sized iPad will have - something that is like a gen 1 to gen 2 difference, or a gen 2 to gen 3 difference (not gen 3 to gen 4, that was an anomaly to reset the refresh cycle). If major size differential (weight/thinness) isn't going to be this defining change, wonder what it'll be - exciting to think about. Until then, I'm going to be happy with my mini, and looking forward to a big upgrade to a gen 2 mini! :)

19. urkel macrumors 68030

SERIOUSLY! The whole point of moving digital is for convenience and if someone uses an iPad to replace their nightly book or magazine then the "feel" will be noticeable. It's not that it's "heavy" it's that it's not comfortable. And if people are going to go around bragging about how thin the Air is or how light the iPhone 5 is then we can't be jerks when things go the other way and something feels in need of a weight reduction.

20. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Okay Mr. Universe.

21. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

I believe people are handling the iPad differently because I have never had to put it down because I was tired. I typically lean it on something and rarely support the entire weight when I am using it. My mom and niece have no issues with the weight, either....and they aren't exactly Chuck Norris.

I think a good deal of people will buy the iPad mini based on price. If the price differential continues to exist, I think we will see the mini continue to sell.

I do believe the iPad will get lighter and thinner. Even the iMac is thinner, so it is just where Apple will continue to go.

22. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

It's not out yet. I believe it will be. Laminated glass and all the technology of the iPhone 5.

23. bogatyr macrumors 65816

When you read for 8-10 hours, it becomes heavy - doesn't matter how much it weighs. Every bit helps if people want to use it as an eBook. That is what the eInk devices have going for them - weight.

----------

Well, yeah if you're not holding it up it isn't going to be heavy. Coming from books, I've never rested them on something. I hold my tablet the same way I hold my books.

24. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

And don't know what muscles are used with pushups :p

25. darngooddesign macrumors G3

To be frank, if you are holding it with one hand and reading for 8-10 hours a tablet is the wrong tool. You need a Kindle. I spend hours reading mine, but I don't hold it with one hand that whole time.