iPad iPad 5 to arrive in May latest rumour

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget123, Apr 26, 2013.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

2. tazz3 macrumors regular

If this news is real that would be awesome if the 5th gen i pad
    Came out next month by then i will have enough sved up

3. robertpetry macrumors 6502

Well, this would be great but doubtful. Especially in the case of a Retina iPad Mini 2. Multiple sources, including Rene Richie from iMore have sources telling them the mini Retina has battery issues and is not ready. But an iPad 5 in Mini like form could be ready soon.

So I would guess one a few scenarios will take place based on how long they think the retina mini will take.

1) Apple releases an iPad 5 and a spec bumped but not retina mini in May or June. Then update the mini to Retina in Oct/Nov or even February. Apple could bump the current Mini to a die shrunk A6 and more RAM pretty easily at this point. WWDC is the only think I'm wondering about with this scenario. Apple could announce there or before in the middle to late May. This seems very feasible to me.

2) If the Mini Retina issues seem like they can be resolved in only a few months Apple might hold both updates until August or maybe September. But I can't see them holding up the IPad 5 longer than that. Going back to a 12 month refresh cycle is just not going to happen.

This would also give iOS 7 a chance to make it to the 5 at launch. However with rumors that iOS 7 is running late that might be risky.

3). Finally, they could just release an iPad 5 in June and then only an updated Mini in September or October. It just seems unlikely to me that they would break the update cycles apart.

Just my humble, uninformed opinion.

4. maxosx macrumors 68020

I'm already set to buy one. My preference is for Apple to take their time and be sure it's well sorted out.

In the meantime between my Mini & iPad 4, I'm just fine.

5. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Yeah, April is almost over, so now the analysts are talking about a May release. Makes sense.

Even a broken watch shows the right time twice a day.

6. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

I doubt it will be out before WWDC. Even though I want the iPad 5 to be released as soon as possible, I still want it to ship with iOS 7.

7. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

There have been multiple threads about a release in February, March, April and now May. I bet, once May comes and goes.. it will be the turn of June, then July... until Apple finally releases the product and everyone pats themselves on the back saying how accurate they were. :rolleyes:

8. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

My bet has been on June all along, because of WWDC. If they don't even mention it there, then I'll be surprised. It may not be released immediately, but I'm sure the release date will also be announced at the same time.

9. rillrill macrumors 6502

rillrill

i would cancel my subscription to that newspaper if i actually had a subscription to that newspaper. nowhere does it say that there will be a new ipad in may except the headline, and the reporter ends the headline with a question mark. that's like asking, "meteors will destroy the earth?" maybe....

10. Eadfrith macrumors 6502

Eadfrith

Then they will say it might come out in June. :p

11. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

"In the most recent earnings call with investors, press and analysts, Cook said that no new products are to launch before the end of the year.

"Our teams are hard at work on some amazing new hardware, software, and services that we can't wait to introduce this fall and throughout 2014," Cook said."

12. rovex macrumors 65816

Yes, but the number of leaks tend to put a dampener on a fall release. It could be fall, but my money's on june/may.

13. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

I hope you're right. I'm going to get myself a new iPad in June/July and I wish it would be the 5.

14. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

15. cube macrumors G5

If Apple wants me to buy one, it better not have the same crappy Lightning.

16. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Lightning connector? Love the new cable.

17. cube macrumors G5

I'm not talking about the connector, but about the video capabilities.

18. Samtb macrumors 65816

Would they really release it without iOS7 when they could hold off for a few months and release it with iOS7?

19. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Sure, why not?

20. rillrill macrumors 6502

rillrill

agreed. listening to rene on macbreak weekly, he said that they might have released the 4th gen ipad because the 3rd had some flaws and developers didn't like it. plus, ipads make great holiday gifts. why not release it in the fall? it makes sense to get on that schedule.

21. Pecheneg macrumors member

you missed the most important part of that article - "In the most recent earnings call with investors, press and analysts, Cook said that no new products are to launch before the end of the year."

22. Guitarpik macrumors member

I'm guessing he's referring to the fiscal year which ends on 9/28/13. Still sucks, oh well.

I got a 4 for xmas and returned it for gift cards to wait for the 5. Was really hoping the wait wouldn't be this long.

23. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Sounds a bit far-fetched to me that he would refer to the fiscal year. It doesn't match the context.
    What? Seriously? This is just really sad. And not only because of the long wait...

24. Guitarpik macrumors member

What's so sad about it? I'm really not a fan of the 2-4 form factor and my 1 was doing an adequate job at the time. Not to mention the rampant speculation of a new model coming by April.
    I guess it is sad that I don't have the cash to upgrade every time a new model is released so I hold onto my stuff for longer than most. Due to that, I like to upgrade as soon as a new model is released.

Also doesn't sound odd that Tim would refer to the fiscal year when he's on an earnings call. Or do you think we won't see anything until January 2014??

25. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Oh, ok, that makes more sense. For some reason, I assumed that you had been without any iPad all along, waiting for the 5. I probably had no good reason to think that, but I did.
    I wouldn't be very surprised if we'll have to wait until Oct/Nov, even though I'm hoping for June/July.