iPad 5th gen. speculation/wish thread

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xak, Oct 26, 2012.

1. xak macrumors regular

After purchasing my first tablet with the iPad 3rd gen, I'm pretty satisfied with the tablet experience. Since the iPad 4th gen got released, I think it's time to look forward to a real upgrade with the 5th gen.

I most definitely want the 5gen to be supremely lighter. Thinner isn't as important because I want to be able to grip my iPad easily and the thinness of the current model is pretty satisfactory. However, I think most people agree that the iPad's weight is a little much for something that usually requires constant holding and physical manipulation for access (as opposed to a lap/desktop, which sits still as one uses it). Luckily, Apple is almost guaranteed to make the 5gen much lighter since this is a consistent theme for them and they'd want to recover the weight added when they put in the Retina Display.

Now that I'm writing this thread, I realize there isn't much more needed for the iPad 3gen because it seems fast and smooth enough for just about everything I do on it. Of course, a faster processor/more RAM is always desirable.

Anyone got any interesting items on their 5gen wish list?

2. Sissyboy macrumors regular

Sissyboy

16:9 for ipad and ipad mini

Thats my guess for the next generation.

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

My wish is that Apple refreshes the iPad every 3 months so in a year i'll be sporting the A10X. Sucks to be an early adopter. :p

4. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

They may do the same with the borders from the iPad mini for the iPad 5th gen.

So new design, thinner & lighter, powerful specs, improved camera..

5. pruhawk macrumors member

I concur, a lighter form factor more like the iPad 2, class leading Wifi and 32 GB of memory standard.

6. jbimler macrumors regular

Do we know if Apple is still doing the spring ipad event or did they move them up to the fall? Basically I'm asking do we wait another year for the 5th gen?

7. urkel macrumors 68030

- Reduced bezels
    - GPS on WiFi with downloadable Apple Maps.

Other than that I like the iPads. The problems I have are with the OS feeling a bit stale.

8. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

i hope not

most people say the surface which has 16:9 makes it too awkward for portrait mode

read the reviews of the surface

the ipad's aspect ratio is perfect for both portrait and landscape

16:9 is good for small devices like the iphone 5. large ones like ipad will suck so hard

9. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

Here's hoping to a lighter 5th gen iPad.
    I still have the iPad 2 because the 3rd gen is just a tad too heavy.
    Better cameras would be nice of course.
    How about metal buttons as seen on the iPad mini?
    I think they look sharp.

Apple will probably just keep updating the iPad as it sees fit, I think the whole 'yearly' update as seen with the iPhone will not be as predictable.

10. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

We will all have to wait till spring for the 5. Making it thinner and lighter will also compromise strength, just like the iPhone 5.

11. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

simple things...customizable colored LED notification light..thinner bezel and widgets.

12. seajewel macrumors 6502

Thinner, lighter. Made with materials that are less susceptible to scratching so I can enjoy my iPad without having to cover it all up.

13. Powrie macrumors 6502

Apple will use everything they have learned from making the iPhone 5 and the new Mini and they will put it into the iPad 5th gen.

That means it will have the same diamond cut edges while being thinner and lighter.

They pushed out the 4th gen iPad becase the 3rds hardware was not balanced with the retina display.

Now that they have balanced the internals by upgrading the processor ect they can work on updating the form factor.

The iPad 5 is going to be a big thing for apple.

It will be the first new form factor iPad in quite awhile and it will be balanced with the retina display.

The iPad 5 is already shaping up to be a big winner.

It will be paired with a 2nd gen Mini with Retina Display

:apple:

14. yegon macrumors 68020

Doubt it.

4:3 is better for everything on a tablet, except video and (arguably) games.

Despite Apple claiming otherwise (full screen video! Funny, they've never cared before), the only reason the iPhone went 16:9 was because it was an easy way to increase size without seriously impacting devs. If Apple could have sourced reasonably priced 4"ish 1920x1280 screens (doubling the 4's res) we'd never have seen a 16:9 iPhone.

Besides, I applaud Apple for not going blindly down the 16:9 route, they're practically the only purveyor of 16:10 laptops these days.

15. DeeGee48 macrumors regular

DeeGee48

God forbid!

My title above says it all as far as I'm concerned! The tablet experience is SO MUCH MORE than just watching movies and gaming. 4:3 is absolutely crucial to the iPad's continued multi-functional success!

Microsoft will prove my point, as their Surface tablets, supposedly so business- oriented, will be a probable bust. Wait and see. 16:9 sucks for this (needed) all-around functionality, and Apple (wisely) knows that!

4:3 FOREVER! :apple:

16. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Next keynote speech will be something like this when they describe the iPad 5...

"... iPad and iPad mini sold ____ units and is still the leading tablet in the market place... ... We have learned a lot from the iPad mini, the new iPad is ___% lighter - it now weighs only 400g, ___% thinner at ___mm, 2x as fast as previous generation, the screen is ___ mm thin, and it has a thinner bezel like the iPad mini... ... I think you all will like it."

17. MrMacBookPro macrumors 6502

well look what Apple did to the new iMac... Look how thin they made it.. Its very possible to make the 5th Gen thinner...

18. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

I betcha they already have the thinner iPad prototype.. now just the issue of how to maximize profit and the timing.

19. MrMacBookPro macrumors 6502

it may very well be a 6 month release like they did a few days ago.. :cool:

20. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

Less bevel, thinner, lighter, decent battery, retina display... Tall order, but Apple is up for the challenge.

21. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

+1 for Retina Display... If the Mini came out with retina display, I would of gladly sold my iPad 3 and bought that.

22. RiseDarthVader macrumors member

Black & Slate option
    Tapered back design like the iPad mini because the current design is has the edges digging into my palm when I hold it landscape one handed with my hand holding it from the bottom.

23. Che Castro macrumors 603

The spring event is gonna be about

iWatch
    iTV ,maybe not an actual tv but a cable box type of device

And also a pandora like streaming service

24. burnside macrumors 6502

Same here. I still have an iPad 2 and chose not to get an iPad 3 because of the added weight. I was ready to get an iPad Mini, but no retina display was the killer.