iPad: A couple questions, I suppose

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PaulWog, Aug 2, 2011.

1. PaulWog, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

PaulWog Suspended

I'm looking to purchase an iPad in the future. I am certain I will not purchase an iPad 2: I want to wait for a superior & newer version. So it's an iPad 3 which I am looking to at the moment. For me, an iPad would first and foremost be a toy (and I don't think it's quite worth $519 + taxes to me yet), and it might also function as a productivity device as well... though I'm not quite certain how well it would serve me in that way.

What I am wondering are these two things:
    1) Is there any evidence that the iPad will be refreshed sooner than a 365 day cycle?
    2) Is there any evidence/likelihood that the iPad 3 would sport a no-glasses 3D display?

[edit]: View post #11 if you're going to leave a nasty comment. This is getting out of hand.

2. Stefx73 macrumors regular

No proof to either.
    Plenty of rumors/speculations, however.

3. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I understand your concern about the next ipad. But i would just buy it now and ebay it when the new one comes out, thats what the smart people do ;).

As for 3d, forget about it for now. I cant see apple doing it until 3d has really taken off, if it ever does....

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I'd be very surprised if Apple did 3D right now (if ever). IMO the technology is still too finicky for them to be happy with... it's not quite at the point where "it just works".

It's also pretty gimmicky, imho...

5. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

I GUARANTEE that we will not see 3D in the next version

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

why not now?

the waiting game. i see. well, wait long enough and something new will come out, i am sure. meanwhile, i will enjoy my ipad 1.

cool. we don't even know what that will be or when, though, so let's hope the wait is worth it.

i get 90 percent of my work done on this toy. i don't even have a game installed. check out my profile for several threads about getting things done with the ipad.

no evidence. lots of rumors. if the ipad 3 was 3d, that might convince me to purchase the ipad 2 or a competing device. my goodness, what a gimmick. have you ever used one of the silly things before? i would expect a better display than the current one, but if you are looking for 3d, perhaps the ipad 9 will suit you better :)

7. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Have fun not using an iPad for the next 5-8 months.

8. palpatine macrumors 68040

yep :)

it takes a lot of patience and forbearance to play the waiting game. of course, if you purchased a shiny new ipad 2 today, and sold it a year later for 1/5 the price (for some reason), you'd still only be paying about 1 dollar a day to use it. that's a few lattes a month :)

9. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

THE NEXT THING IS ALWAYS BETTER

Doesn't mean you should always wait for it though, have fun and be happy with the product that's out now.

10. taipan61 macrumors 6502

and what happens if the iPad3 just happens to have any issues, will you then wait for the iPad4? 5? etc?

the waiting game for the "Next Best Thing" is ridiculous as companies will always be updating their devices for the consumer market based on current technology and customer wants

if you buy it today, it was designed 6 months ago and is already obsolescent

11. PaulWog thread starter Suspended

What's with all the venom in everyone's attitude toward me? I said I don't want the iPad 2. It's a cool product, but to me it's not worth the $519 entry-level price tag. Emphasis on for me. I have the kind of money to spend on it, but I have that kind of money because I make very select and spaced out purchases which are carefully planned out. I can see a future version of the iPad drawing my attention more-so, and I am waiting for a version which makes me feel more comfortable with spending $519. This isn't a waiting game for the next greatest thing (I could care less about having the latest and greatest): It's a waiting game for something slightly different.

The iPad 2 appeals to me in many ways, and that's why Apple's iPad line in particular has drawn my attention to the tablet world. However, the iPad 2 simply is not rich enough in features and functionality to really get me to say "hey, I am satisfied with sinking $519-$619 [depending] into this thing".

I'm not "losing out" on using an iPad for 6 months, or 8 months, or whatever it might be: I'm just choosing not to use one. An amazing concept... And if the iPad 3 isn't what I want, I won't be losing out on time by not using that either. I will buy what I want, not what I don't want simply because others have found a use for it and enjoy it.

Really, shame on you who are giving me dislikes and nasty comments. It's rude and uncalled for. You're assuming that I'm waiting for a refresh simply because it's the next thing; and that's not true. If the iPad 2 offered what I wanted, I'd be buying it immediately. But it doesn't. And the iPad 3 might not either. The iPad 4 might not either. That's fine. Do I lose out on something because of this? Does this require me to buy an iPad now because if I don't I'm missing out on something? I don't want to force myself to purchase something that I simply do not yet want. It's not unheard of for someone to like a product, but not like it quite enough to buy it. An iPad 3 may put the icing on the cake and seal the deal for me. Or an iPad 4 might. And until then, it's not my loss: toys are toys...

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

So what do you need from the iPad 3 then? You have only listed glass-free 3D display, nothing else. You said the iPad 2 doesn't have enough features, so what features are you waiting for? The problem is that you aren't listing any features you would like to see, you are just saying that iPad 2 isn't enough.

13. PaulWog thread starter Suspended

Well what I want to see in the iPad 3 really wasn't the topic of the thread. It unfortunately has headed that direction, I suppose.

I don't necessarily know exactly what I want to see in the iPad 3. It could be any number of things. But nothing necessarily specific. If it's just an improved processor and improved resolution/screen (retina display), then I might not be entirely interested in it; or maybe I'll change my mind when the time comes. Really it just depends on what Apple decides to do or not to do. When they release the iPad 3, I will see.

It is, after all, a toy to me. First and foremost. It may function as a productivity device (who knows), but the purchase will be based on how it functions for fun-related stuff. 3D would definitely up my interest. I can't think of anything in particular otherwise; I suppose I could list off a bunch of improvements that could be made on the iPad 2 (theoretically), but that'd be rather boring to list off... I think some of the improvement-points are rather obvious (ex. obviously more battery life would be nice, any sort of improvements are nice, etc).

I'm not waiting for better battery life, or an increased resolution, or a faster processor. Those are tech specs which are nice and I like... but not the reason I'm waiting. With enough tech spec improvements, of course it makes the buy more enticing... but what I'm waiting for is just some change to the device that will make it more fun to me as a toy. A 3D no-glasses screen would definitely be something I'd be interested in. Maybe I'm waiting on some different apps which can be taken advantage of. Maybe I just won't care and I'll buy the iPad 3 when it comes out because I've finally decided I don't want to wait on an iPad 4.

I feel as though it's worth the wait for an iPad 3, considering I neither need nor entirely want an iPad 2 at the moment. It just draws my attention enough to really like it (and I'd love to have it if I didn't have to pay for it).

Really I'm just interested in seeing some new and fun features in the iPad 3. This thread was posted to ask two questions and really that's all I wanted to ask. I'm interested in when the ipad 3 will be released, and I'm interested in if it has a 3D screen: Otherwise, Apple may spur my interests with something I don't have in mind.

14. taipan61 macrumors 6502

venom? what venom? you came asking questions with a view towards what you want and we gave you a view, so we get it you don't want an iPad2 so let's leave it at that

15. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I feel the most reasonable time for the next ipad refresh would be sometime in the middle of next year. It is rumoured to come with the same retina display used on the iphone.

I myself am experiencing something similar. I recently splashed out a pretty penny on a 27' imac (a considerable investment for me at least), and so am not in the position to buy any new costly apple products anytime soon. I do have my eye on the ipad (but mainly because quite a few of my colleagues have them), though I have no desire to own one yet (but I am planning to eventually buy one). So I am slowly doing my research on what it can be used for to see if it is really worth the hefty pricetag.

To me, I don't see it as playing the waiting game. I just don't need one yet, but might want one in the future when I am not so tight, so why not start considering now? It may not be a bad idea to KIV so if say, a good deal ever presents itself, I can make an informed decision as to whether I want to own one or not.

16. 2 Owls macrumors regular

Just a quick browse on this forum should tell you that everyone here is a 100% accurate mac predicting pro. ;)

17. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Spot On

Why wait for something none of us even know about yet. And as posted the ipad2 is FAR FAR from a toy.

18. Daforce macrumors newbie

i think i understand...you are waiting for a WOW factor right?hmmm...i will say a huge "maybe" but i kind of doubt it..for me there were a few wow factors in hardware like when the first iphone came to life...i believe though the wow factors for the ipad are in software not hardware..maybe some new software when the ipad 3 will drop fit your needs..regarding 3D i think we will be able to fully use in 2 years or so..

19. darngooddesign, Aug 4, 2011

darngooddesign macrumors G3

Paul, just look at the update cycle for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. There is a bunch of historical evidence that apple updates its iOS devices annually. All this speculation about a winter iPad3, or whatever they are calling it, is just speculation, which runs contrary to four years of iOS devices. There is zero evidence that the next one will have a 3D display.

On to the other issue. There is nothing wrong with waiting, especially if the thing that appeals to you, retina display, is expected on the next version. Its up to you to decide if seven or eight months is worth the wait.

The fact that you keep making threads saying how you want to wait means you really want one now. If you buy an iPad 2 now and sell it in January you will maybe loose 100 or so. That's approximately $12-15 per month.

While an iPad2 isn't worth $499 + tax, is it worth $450 + no tax which is what I'm seeing them for on CL in my area. What about $350 + no tax for an iPad1 to hold you over? You'll take less of a depreciation hit with a 1.

If you once again decide to wait please refrain from making a similar thread in a month because no solid information will have surfaced about a winter release that logically won't happen. There will be a bunch of vague speculations designed to drive traffic to tech sites.

20. palpatine macrumors 68040

i think some of the annoyance among people comes from the way you posed your questions.

the fact, for example, that the ipad is a toy for you, despite plenty of evidence from me and others throughout the forums that it has far more potential than that. that's fine if you want to use it as a toy, but you seem determined to see it only as a kind of portable play station. have you actually tried one?

you say the ipad 2 is no good for you, but we aren't really clear why, and you seem to want something instead that does stuff far beyond current technology. you want to wait for something that isn't even vaporware yet. it's sort of like talking to someone who wants a flying car, so is willing to wait for the prius to come out with one. it seems kind of unlikely, but it doesn't make the current prius into something un-purchasable. in the end, there isn't much to say there.

i think people would be far less critical if you'd firm yourself up, stick out your chest (so to speak), and take a position on something here. you want a faster processor because... or you want a better screen because...

obviously, all of the next versions will be better in some way, but in the end, none of us are terribly into waiting (it makes no sense economically, emotionally, etc.) so we buy what is available and upgrade later. i can't speak for anyone else, but making a thread about waiting without giving clear reasons rubs me the wrong way.

21. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

No.

22. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Actually, people need to grow a pair and not get their feelings hurt when someone views the iPad as a toy.

23. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Woahhhh, you're way to sensitive. No-one insulted you, there was no venom, no nasty comments. Slow down, take a deep breath - it's just a forum. I worry about your blood pressure :)

24. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

If you don't find the iPad2 useful, it's unlikely you will find the iPad3 or 4 useful.

25. PaulWog, Aug 4, 2011

PaulWog thread starter Suspended

Let's just call the thread closed and call it a day.

I am not interested in making an iPad purchase right now. However I may be in a number of months to come, so the iPad 3 may be interesting to me. And yes, I view it as a toy (don't know why this would annoy anyone... I don't view my Macbook Air as a toy, yet it very well could be to me or anyone else depending on what one's lifestyle is like... if someone called the Air a toy I wouldn't be upset... in fact I wonder what screw is loose in someone's head to actually get upset at someone calling a consumer product like a tablet a toy).

Anyone who doesn't share my views is entitled to their own opinion. However please don't tell me that I'm some sort of "bad consumer" because I won't buy an iPad 2, or because I want to wait. It's not like not having a tablet is going to negatively impact me.

Seems like most people are mad that I don't want an iPad 2 right now, even though I'm interested in it. I don't care. I'm a big boy, I've made my own big-ticket purchases many times, so I know what really hits home for me when it comes to these sorts of purchases: and it's not going to hit home if I buy it today.

@DaForce (post#18): Thanks. I'm sort-of looking for a wow factor... however I feel like the iPad 2 already has that wow factor in its construction (the way its body looks, screen, etc). I'm just waiting for a little extra touch to make it a bit more desirable (extra wow is always welcomed lol... 3D would do it). If I hadn't bought a Macbook Air, a new bike, a new desktop, new tower speakers & receiver, a new computer screen, a new e-reader, and a number of other smaller purchases in the past 8 months, I'd probably own an iPad 2 right now: I'm not rich though, and I'm careful with my money and how I buy things, and I don't need a tablet... so it's the waiting game for me. You pretty much get what I'm getting at though... the wow factor is something that would sell me.