ipad = a glorified toy

Discussion in 'iPad' started by matt90036, Apr 6, 2011.

1. matt90036 macrumors regular

i have seen many people saying that ipad is just a toy. this really bothers me.
    i am a medical student and i use my ipad when i go to class to quickly look up answers via iannotate and 4 pathology books that i have loaded on it. when i do prep questions for USMLE and i dont know something i quickly look it up again via iannotate and the USMLE First Aid book. When i dont know something about one of the few thousand drugs i use Micromedex. it gives me drug indications, side effects, dosage and i use Medscape for drug interactions. i have also loaded netters images onto my photo app to quickly help me with my anatomy, which is my weakest subject. once i get my hands on a 7 inch ipad i will be brining it for my rotations.

the biggest upside of an ipad over a laptop is its portability, reponsiveness and a variety of medical apps that allow you to get information access with one click of the finger. there are hospitals that allow docotrs to get patient information via ipads as well as their vital stats. it is a tremendous productivity tool when use as one.

2. ani23 macrumors 6502

In case you didnt realize look below for the original poster you quoted.

Linky

3. leenak macrumors 68020

Ha! There will always be haters. I love my iPad. I don't have to justify it to anyone.

4. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    So you say it's a toy and then defend it? :confused:

I think your thread title is a little misleading... ;)

5. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

well, I was about anti-ipad as they come.
    then I got an ipad2.

It is a toy, it is a tool.

Airplay is amazing.

I would say it does about 75% of what I need.
    It is what you make of it. I am glad I got one.

6. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

Who cares what people call it. Seriously does it matter? It's their loss not mine.

7. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

Definition:

toy, a tool that someone is too stupid to learn how to use.

8. matt90036 thread starter macrumors regular

oh sorry. poor title selection indeed.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

People say I don't need my 4X4 truck cause I never haul anything
    People say I don't need unlimited data on my iPhone cause I never go over
    People say I shouldn't drink Diet Coke cause it is bad for me
    People say I don't need an iPad cause I have a MBP and an iPhone
    People say I shouldn't have a gym membership cause I never go

I don't particularly care what people say about what I buy or what I do

10. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

+1 :)

11. reputationZed macrumors 65816

7" tablets = glorified toy? Doesn't sound like Steve will be putting a 7" iPad in anyone's hands.

12. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Possibly the most profound statement ever made on MR. 1+

13. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Just to be devil's advocate as a fellow med student, you can do pretty much all of those things on a laptop as well. A smartphone is great for when you need the portability and it has all those great medical apps as well. When you're sitting at a desk and want to read, a laptop with access to the net has all the info you need.

Not saying the iPad isn't useful, I see it all over the place in the medical library, but I would say it's not particularly necessary (other devices that you have that ARE necessary perform the same function).

This is not an attack against the iPad, after all, I have one too :)

14. aughsum Guest

I run my life from my iPad.. No computer.

~90% of consumers can do 100% of what they need to do on computers with an iPad.

15. miamijim macrumors 6502

Yes it is an expensive toy... (So in fact is my dual screen iMac desktop, or my stereo system I do not actually need either of these things but I could afford them so I bought them)

But it is also the best media consumption device ever invented.

It also has the potential to become one of the the most useful pieces of technology ever invented.

I have already seen it used by a politician in parliament to read a speech from.

Newscasters use it instead of a screen.

Students use it as a book replacement.

I would not be surprised if NASA used it with astronauts to help with pre flight checks.

Sailors use it for navigation.

Some of us live in a very privileged position where the owning of gadgets or expensive toys if you will are a possibility, now I am not bragging or anything like that because I feel we should be very grateful for the possibility that we can acquire such things.

However lets not fool ourselves, every thing we own from the car we drive to the clothes we wear are all privileges of luxury. Many people in this world do not even have food to eat, this should be our main concern, we should not be arguing over whether or not a piece of equipment is actually a toy or not...

Stuff gets invented, great lets find ways to use it to help other people or just sit back and play angry birds the choice is yours.

16. NickDaQuick macrumors newbie

It can be a fun toy or an important tool....thats the beauty of it.

17. ndrosubiyanto macrumors member

18. miamijim macrumors 6502

And only the possibility of a Man inside each Boy.

(God that actually sounds a lot worse than it is.)

19. lionqueen macrumors 6502

^ this.

20. Mishabella macrumors newbie

I love, love, love my iPad. :)
    I use it mainly for the many textbooks that I was able to download onto it. Thank goodness for that because each book weighs about 10 lbs or more, talking to you Person's Anatomy!!!

OP, have you seen UC Irvine's med school went to a completely iPad friendly curriculum? All text books trough Inkling, note taking apps and initial iPads were provided during the white coat ceremony. :) So awesome!!!

21. Stirolak26 macrumors member

22. Smoothness macrumors regular

Feds will be knocking on your door pretty son. :D

23. henry2 macrumors regular

henry2

To me it a tool because of the basic fact that i can keep track of diff task in my life along beening my all around outside the house device to use for email and surfing the net and listening to music and playing games and not have to carry a heavy laptop around to do those task in my life ..