Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theredensign

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Hi all,

As per the title, has anybody noticed that their iPad Air 1 is quite a bit slower on iOS 10?

Whilst I understand that the hardware won't always be able to keep up with the OS, I'm quite surprised by this as I don't have quite as much of an issue on the iPhone 5.

Many thanks,

Kind regards,
Jack.

Reactions: M. Gustave

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Hi all,

As per the title, has anybody noticed that their iPad Air 1 is quite a bit slower on iOS 10?

Whilst I understand that the hardware won't always be able to keep up with the OS, I'm quite surprised by this as I don't have quite as much of an issue on the iPhone 5.

Many thanks,

Kind regards,
Jack.

My private thought was tha ios10 was not a wise move for the Air.

Ymmv...though I think logic is on my side.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
Hi all,

Many thanks,

Kind regards,
Jack.
Yep the Air they skimped on the GPU so it going to be less smooth and slightly slower than iPhones. The iPhone 5 pushes so many less pixels than the Air that's why it will be smoother

hinesmj

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
New York
Yea i've seen the same thing. It's not terrible, and definitely still usable, but just stutters more. I definitely won't be updating the iOS on it again though...

PeteS1963

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
On my iPad Air 1 (I also have an iPad Air 2) iOS 10 runs significantly better - faster, less lag & stutter - than it did on any version of iOS 9.

Reactions: frank33v

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
On my iPad Air 1 (I also have an iPad Air 2) iOS 10 runs significantly better - faster, less lag & stutter - than it did on any version of iOS 9.
The same applies to iPad Air 2. I am sad multitasking has quite a large amount of stuttering that is obviously a bug as iOS 9 was smoother.

djnigelchung

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2015
Silicon Valley
Yea i've seen the same thing. It's not terrible, and definitely still usable, but just stutters more. I definitely won't be updating the iOS on it again though...

Same experience for me, a little slower, but still usable for what I need it for. I don't think I'm going to upgrade my tablet ever (unless I move to android). Perfectly happy with it's performance,

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I'm not surprised, sadly. My air 2 has quite a bit more lag on 10 than it did on 9, and it's far more powerful than an air 1. Wish I could downgrade, but it's tolerable, just disappointing.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Yes, my Air 1 is on 10.1.1, and it's stuttering on things like pulling down Spotlight search on the home screen. I have Reduce Motion turned on, and I haven't noticed this issue before now.

And I still see the blank white screen occasionally in Safari, and some stuttering switching Safari tabs. Overall add them to the long list of things that annoy and disappoint me about iOS 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smoovejayy

bliggs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Broken Arrow
I've noticed it as well on my Air1. Nothing I can't live with but I will most likely be upgrading when the next gen iPad model comes out. Hopefully March?

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
Are you kidding? 9.3.5 was rock solid on my Air 1, no stuttering with RM on. Now it's all janky.
It's junky on a Air 2 as well common with all new iOS releases right before iOS 11 we all need to do a restore set up as new with the last release of iOS 10, it'll probably be smooth af and we ride that all the way to the last release of iOS 11.

balzmcfearson

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2009
Brooklyn
No good here. To put it in perspective my Air 1 has a solid 2 second delay when swiping down for notification or up for control center.

Compared to a 7 plus I could definitely see some describing as "unuseable".

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
No good here. To put it in perspective my Air 1 has a solid 2 second delay when swiping down for notification or up for control center.

Compared to a 7 plus I could definitely see some describing as "unuseable".
Having to wait 2 seconds isn't unusable and maybe if you didn't have so many notification widgets it wouldn't be a issue.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I'm not surprised, sadly. My air 2 has quite a bit more lag on 10 than it did on 9, and it's far more powerful than an air 1. Wish I could downgrade, but it's tolerable, just disappointing.

Really? My Mini 4 isn't lagging on iOS 10, and it's somewhere in between an Air 1 and 2 in terms of power.
[doublepost=1479266353][/doublepost]
Having to wait 2 seconds isn't unusable and maybe if you didn't have so many notification widgets it wouldn't be a issue.

Yeah, I have to say, it's the definition of First World problems when your iPad is considered "unusable" because of 2 seconds delay. Certainly not the best user experience, but "unusable" is being a bit melodramatic.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Yeah, I have to say, it's the definition of First World problems when your iPad is considered "unusable" because of 2 seconds delay. Certainly not the best user experience, but "unusable" is being a bit melodramatic.

This entire website deals almost exclusively with "first world problems", so please don't go there.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
:D:D:D
This entire website deals almost exclusively with "first world problems", so please don't go there.
[doublepost=1479271444][/doublepost]
Really? My Mini 4 isn't lagging on iOS 10, and it's somewhere in between an Air 1 and 2 in terms of power.
[doublepost=1479266353][/doublepost]

lagging no, stutter yes, open up like 5-10 apps try to go to multitasking and scroll through it's a stutter you mess.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
:D:D:D
[doublepost=1479271444][/doublepost]
lagging no, stutter yes, open up like 5-10 apps try to go to multitasking and scroll through it's a stutter you mess.

Fair enough, there is some stutter in the app switcher when there's a lot of apps open.
[doublepost=1479297406][/doublepost]

True, but I guess mileage may vary. There are plenty of (in my opinion) valid discussions and criticisms regarding these devices that we invest our money in. It's perfectly reasonable to expect certain standards of performance and usability. But I think that people go overboard declaring devices "unusable" because of mild stutter or lag. There are so many people who would love to have that "unusable" iPad. I just think that people should try to have a little perspective.

Last edited:

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
Fair enough, there is some stutter in the app switcher when there's a lot of apps open.
[doublepost=1479297406][/doublepost]

True, but I guess mileage may vary. There are plenty of (in my opinion) valid discussions and criticisms regarding these devices that we invest our money in. It's perfectly reasonable to expect certain standards of performance and usability. But I think that people go overboard declaring devices "unusable" because of mild stutter or lag. There are so many people who would love to have that "unusable" iPad. I just think that people should try to have a little perspective.
Yah or buy at the right time, Air 2 stutter free for 2 years and iOS 10 there is only 1 spot that is consistently un-smooth that is multitasking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.