iPad Ipad air 2 display models: obvious screen defects.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Afluffykitten, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Afluffykitten macrumors member

I just walked into my local Apple Store money in hand, fully expecting to walk out with a silver Wi-Fi 64 GB iPad air 2. I have an air right now, and had to exchange it about three or four times before I found a screen with proper uniformity and no bookspine effect. Unfortunately, I was not pleased by what I found at the store.

I checked out around six different display models, and of the six only about one of them or two of them were passable.The rest of them had some pretty serious looking bookspines, and while I didn't see any yellow tinting like was apparent on previous generations of iPad, those iPads that did have bookspines also had uniformity issues. It was a huge effort to get a good iPad last year, I really don't feel like going to the effort this year when my iPad air performs almost the same as this generation. The speed increases are minor from what I experienced, and I have no need for touch ID.

Also, in a test I checked out what it was like to play music at full volume on the iPad. Wow, that rumbling effect is really unpleasant, and I would not enjoy holding this iPad for an extended period of time while say, listening to the radio, or music. The vibration really does tingle your fingers.

The displays are definitely less reflective, and appear more vibrants to me on the new generation of iPad air. Things were also quite a bit snappier, but to be honest last years iPad air is also blazing fast, and if you can afford to wait another half second, there's no real reason to upgrade unless you want any of the other hardware additions.

I was really hoping that Apple would have sorted out the screen uniformity issues, and that I wouldn't have to fight to get a product that I was truly satisfied with right off the bat. Maybe next year!

2. AliMacs macrumors 6502

Stupidest thread ever. You need to go and make yourself an iPad without the issues you pointed out. I walked in last night picked mine up and am enjoying it like sex with my wife.

3. Magichoom macrumors newbie

lol awesome comment!

4. Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

You know what is stupid, you replying to this thread..... You have received a good iPad and have the right to be happy! Do not degrade someone because you think something is stupid. I am surprised how some people are even married!

----------

Op .... Apple doesn't see it as an issue because a majority of people do not see it.

5. deaglecat, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

deaglecat macrumors 6502

i agree. except the last sentence

6. Closingracer macrumors 68020

So then don't buy iPads .... I also don't have this issue

7. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

And yet here you are.

8. Mitchdoc macrumors newbie

With a little bit of book spine?
    Is having sex with your wife good? I can't comment having not had the pleasure

9. Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

What a great idea !!!! Thanks for posting that ,I would never have thought of your great suggestion. Thank you so much!!!!

10. Afluffykitten thread starter macrumors member

Whoa, I wasn't looking for a flame war or anything, just posting my thoughts. I guess I am a little disappointed as I was pretty stoked to upgrade but seeing the issues with most of the display models (a glaring darkened book spine on the left hand side of the device), it was enough to turn me away. my original iPad air had the same issue and it took a couple swaps to get a good one. I have an eye for detail and screen uniformity is one of them. The screen is the most important feature to me.

11. threelions macrumors regular

The new screen tech they use to get the thinner Ipads is more prone to screen issues, until they start concentrating on the screen rather than making things a little bit thinner and a little bit lighter each time this will continue to happen. They've patented a new OLED screen so hopefully that becomes a reality.

You're the only one who hasn't.

----------

It's the MacRumours forum if you aren't praising the cult of Apple and the Holy Spirit of Steve Jobs you're not welcome.

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

So what is this book spine effect you speak of? So I can start obsessing about it. Between the little battery, the risk of bending, the negligible speed boost, the useless Touch ID and the mute button delete, what's a little book spine among friends?

13. Sissyboy macrumors regular

Sissyboy

I like me some good book spine. And sex with that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ wife.

14. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Don't forget to put a black wallpaper on your iPad, turn the brightness to the max and sit in a dark room to see if there is any 'light bleed'.

15. Closingracer macrumors 68020

Why go off store models ....just buy it and if not return it . Don't even leave the store without opening it. This way you don't have to keep going back

16. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

17. threelions macrumors regular

You don't get out much do you.

----------

It think people use that reason as store models are hand picked. They are supposed to be vetted to make sure they are perfect for display. If they can't get screens without issue for displays then there's a problem.

18. Closingracer macrumors 68020

Yes but store models are also on a lot longer then personal models and get scratched up or etc

19. bwsteg macrumors 6502

1st iPad Air 2 - Cosmetic scratches on rear casing
    2nd iPad Air 2 - Dead Pixel
    3rd iPad Air 2 - Pinkish hue on the lower left hand corner

Will continue to return but getting frustrated at this point.

20. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

Mine looks good but where it says iPad on top left the area looks dimmer than the rest of the screen. Only really visible on a white webpage though.

21. mattoligy macrumors 6502

mattoligy

That's messed up... Sorry to hear that.

22. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

I don't let potential issues stop me from buying the device I want. If I get the device and it has issues, I exchange it until it meets my standards, and I move on with my life.

You simply can't mass produce complex electronics at a large scale without some sort of abnormalities in a subset of devices. Unless, of course, you wanted to pay several hundred dollars more. The vast majority of people won't notice the vast majority of screen defects, and that's why those "imperfect" devices make it out of the factory in the first place.

I am very picky about my displays, but I freely admit that Apple could never reasonably meet my standards 100% of the time. And that's okay, because I've never had a problem exchanging devices until I got a good one. Those of us that notice these things just have to be patient.

23. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I noticed this too on several display Air 2's this morning. Screen is the biggest thing for me for any device/computer. If it does not work for my vision, not buying it. And while the speed and extra ram are terrific, I can and will wait.

24. threelions macrumors regular

This is the Air 2 it's been in the store a matter of days.

25. Closingracer macrumors 68020

Ipad air 2 display models: obvious screen defects.

I have seen the iPads at Costco when they set them up and some already had scratches after a week or 2