Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
Since they gimped the 6 with only 1GB of RAM, I think their profit margins will be just fine. I like my iPad and iPhone, so this is not a complaint ... I just can't feel pity for their bottom line.

SteveBlobs

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2013
Because it isn't for you. Is that really that hard to understand? People seem to forget that there is an educationa and corporate market out there that doesn't need and in many cases doesn't want gobs of storage.

Please, what percentage of their sales is that? It's purely profit motivated, otherwise they'd list it separately in the Apple Store for corporate purchasers.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Have you seen Apple's profits? We are being gouged.

You have the choice between a gazillion of different phones that you can buy. You wouldn't buy an iPhone if you didn't think it was worth the money. So you're not "gouged".

RLesko

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
Have you seen Apple's profits? We are being gouged.

No, its not possible to be "gouged" on a luxury device. Don't buy it, its not like a water or electric bill.

Think about everything Apple has to pay for...engineers, sales, rent, marketing, and thats just the tip of the iceberg.

So, millions of people happily pay for a device they love, but somehow Apple is the bad guy for fulfilling the demand :eek:

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
I'm guessing the 16GB exists to upsell people to the 64GB and preserve the profit margins.

Agreed, very sound business decision, not a sound decision for 'the users'.

Many of the people I personally know who can't update to 8.0 due to space, are actually normal/casual users - using it for snapchat, texting, and photos. Not power users.

It's surprising that many casual users can't update their phones. Many of them aren't too techie and lack the aptitude to clear enough space in their phones. Some can, but I find myself assisting a lot of my friends with the process. Even as a power user, It took my a while to clear space from my old 16gb 5s, eventually I became frustrated and just cleared the whole damn phone.

With updates, apps, pictures, and video files increasing in size...16gb can't cut it. Power or casual user. It was barely acceptable on the 5s.

I'm not advocating for 32gb base, but at least some breathing room (20-24gb). Do the right thing Apple, for the users.

RLesko

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
I'm not advocating for 32gb base, but at least some breathing room (20-24gb). Do the right thing Apple, for the users.

For whatever reason, solid state storage seems to only come in powers of 2. So I guess you could have 16+8 and have 2 SSDs (dunno about how this would effect price or spacing). But also, you can get around this by just upgrading through iTunes.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
That still doesn't explain why Apple is sitting on over $ 125,000,000,000.00 in cash.

It's companies like Apple that are sitting on billions and billions of $ that are slowing down the economic recovery. US companies are sitting on TRILLIONS of $. I'm all for profits, but with Apple one has to ask: what for? I don't even think Apple has an answer to that question.

if they own all the money they can stop wars and eradicate poverty. First they need all the money. Unless you want more wars? (tax money etc that governments use to fund wars)

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
That still doesn't explain why Apple is sitting on over $ 125,000,000,000.00 in cash.

It's companies like Apple that are sitting on billions and billions of $ that are slowing down the economic recovery. US companies are sitting on TRILLIONS of $. I'm all for profits, but with Apple one has to ask: what for? I don't even think Apple has an answer to that question.

They need it to make a single, massive Apple Pay payment. This way they can say that Apple Pay was used for more than $ 125,000,000,000.00.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
It seems this report makes is abundantly clear why a 16GB model exists -- because Apple wants to keep a $499 price point entry level model, which isn't possible if they drop the model. Consumers can decide from there if they want more storage for more money.

The base price of the iPhone 6 16gb is $649.

I've always ordered the base model when I bought 3GS, 4, 4S, 5S. It was enough space. Occassionaly I would delete a few apps or photos. When I got my 5S, it would fill up too quickly and the iOS updates required almost half of the space of my phone just to update

And the next step up (64gb) which is the size of my 6+, is too much. I have a ton of videos and photos, a few large games, and I still have 32gb left. I have no idea what to do with it, even as a power user who records a lot of video.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
The IHS research is misleading because it doesn't take into account that Apple can get the materials at rock bottom prices considering Apple is purchasing the materials by the millions.

I can guarantee that Apple does not disclose the prices that they pay for materials.

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
I'm not sure they have worked out the cost of Apple's flash chips correctly. They say it's about 40 cents per gigabyte, but surely Apple wouldn't pay full price when they are purchasing such large quantities.

This cost difference between manufacturing a 16gb and a 64gb iPad is probably negligible.

gadgetguy03

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
Agreed, very sound business decision, not a sound decision for 'the users'.

Many of the people I personally know who can't update to 8.0 due to space, are actually normal/casual users - using it for snapchat, texting, and photos. Not power users.

It's surprising that many casual users can't update their phones. Many of them aren't too techie and lack the aptitude to clear enough space in their phones. Some can, but I find myself assisting a lot of my friends with the process. Even as a power user, It took my a while to clear space from my old 16gb 5s, eventually I became frustrated and just cleared the whole damn phone.

With updates, apps, pictures, and video files increasing in size...16gb can't cut it. Power or casual user. It was barely acceptable on the 5s.

When my friends told me they didn't have enough space, I told them to do what I did which is plug it in to the computer, fire up iTunes, Click Update and it'll take care of it. They are all now happily on iOS8 without clearing out their phones.

I do think the base install size should start at 32GB as 16GB has become outdated. It's the natural progression of technology.

It reminds me of when some of my friends give me a 256MB flash drive they use for Word documents. 10 years ago that was astounding but now it's laughable.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
And you can buy a 16 GB SSD for $10... so it being a $50 increase seems exactly right.

Edit: Yep, just checked the full article (from re/code) and it says that Apple pays $9.20 for the 16 GB SSD and $60 for the 128 GB SSD).

Apple is buying bare chips by the millions. I just find it hard to believe that they pay the same amount as buying a retail SSD.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
I'm guessing the 16GB exists to upsell people to the 64GB and preserve the profit margins.

Ram and storage. Why does 16gb exist? Many of my not-so-techie friends simply didn't update their iPhones because they had no space!

On an iPad it makes even less sense.

I agree that 16gb is way too small by todays standards. Considering the price compared to say a low end Netbook/Notebook, which the iPad Air 2 is somewhat of a reasonable replacement for, it really doesn't make sense in that regard.
However, as a tablet for low end users, 16gb makes the device which they will most likely use purely as a tablet more affordable.

But then on the other hand, why not do away with 16gb and make 32gb the lowest option and make it available at the same price as the 16gb.

Now that the iPad Air 2 packs so much more, Apple should have gone with 32, 64 and 128. And then have the iPad Air 16gb available as a cheaper option.

I'm going for a 64gb iPadAir 2. Personally speaking, having had a 16 gb iPad 2, it can be a nuisance when space runs out. At least with a 64gb I can load up more stuff without worrying all that often about what videos or apps to leave or take off. I may even download more apps and explore new apps knowing that I have more space to be adventurous. :)

Maybe todays iPads should have 64, 128 and 256 gb storage configs? Or would that be intrusive on the MacBook Air market?

cppguy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
SF Bay Area, California
Ram and storage. Why does 16gb exist? Many of my not-so-techie friends simply didn't update their iPhones because they had no space!

I don't think a 32GB chip is much more expensive than a 16GB one these days. I believe this is just a way for Apple to upsell. Unless you're really tight on money, you don't want the 16GB model, because you will certainly feel sorry for not saving the extra $100. If the base model was 32GB, a lot fewer people would upgrade. On one hand they are making the iPad more affordable for those on a really tight budget, but at the same time they're strongly encouraging everyone to consider the mid-range model. It's basic marketing, they can advertise it as "starts at $399".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.