iPad Air 2 or wait for iPad Pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GoldfishRT, Sep 15, 2015.

1. GoldfishRT macrumors 6502

GoldfishRT

So I'm thinking of moving to an iPad as a laptop replacement/main computer (I do and will still have a desktop PC for when I really need one) and I'm trying to figure out if I will be happy with an Air 2 or if I should wait for the iPad Pro. Obviously, the Air 2 is cheaper, more portable, and will do just about everything the Pro can just fine. On the other, the iPad Pro seems like it might be more apt at being a laptop replacement and remove some of the little things that have previously made iPads less than ideal for my usage scenario.

Now, I don't need to use a ton of "Pro" applications. I'm a writer by trade however and I can see how having two full sized iPad Air 2 screens side by side would be useful for that but I don't know that it's necessary. Having a good keyboard is very important; I was pretty apt at typing on the original iPad screen but no OSK can replace a proper keyboard in terms of speed and functionality. The big key is portability - I have yet to find a keyboard case for the Air 2 that looks like it comes close to the design the Apple iPad Pro keyboard will offer, not to mention preliminary findings seem to suggest that the keyboard is pretty darn good.

Media consumption is a super important part of my mobile life as well and as a result gaming, music, and movies are an important consideration. The standard iPad Air 4:3 aspect ratio isn't great for movies and the speakers aren't particularly good either but, I wonder if gaming support on the Pro will be good at all. Even if it is, I'm not even sure holding a device that size would be all that comfortable. The screen size would make getting a bluetooth controller a more appealing option but obviously not everything is compatible with those and it's not a great solution while traveling either.

I worry that the Pro will be more unwieldy than it's initially suggested. Yes it might be lighter than it looks, but it weights more than the original iPad on top of being a far larger device, and the original iPad could be a bit heavy after a few hours of holding it. I'm not sure an even larger device would be all that great. If it's not really conducive to being used while held, I don't think it's going to function well as a tablet.

So what are your arguments for or against?

2. Gosell1 macrumors member

Gosell1

For me, i'm getting the iPad Pro. I've been with an iPad mini for a year or two now and i feel like even the regular iPad Air 2 screen wont be large enough. Before the keynote, i didn't think much of the iPad pro but now i feel like it would be perfect for taking notes in class or watching Netflix at home. And with the large amounts of storage(I'm getting 128 GB Cellular) ill be able to download a whole bunch of movies and watch those on the go.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think you should wait until the Pro comes out and you can see and hold it in a store before making your decision. Many of your concerns can't be answered unless you actually use the Pro.

4. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Your usage seems to indicate that this would be more of a media consumption device rather than a content creation one. If I were in your shoes I'd go for the Air 2. The Pro will be too big and unwieldy for most of what you want to do.

5. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

12.2 note was too big for me so the 12.9 is a complete no go. air 2 works in more than one place. Wether it's at home or at work it's big enough for a doing a lot of things and it isn't too big at the same time to take on the go.

6. GoldfishRT thread starter macrumors 6502

GoldfishRT

Well, I played around with the Air 2 at the Apple Store with iOS 9 and with the improved multitasking I think it will suffice for my needs. I also managed to find a keyboard case that I legitimately like in the Targus VersaType 4-in-1, which basically turns the thing into an old ThinkPad Tablet design, even if it's a bit bulky. So unless something game-changing happens by the end of the month I'll be getting one. Thanks for the feedback guys.

7. Commy1, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015

Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

If you're planning on a laptop replacement I would say the iPad Pro. iPads are a great travel companion accessory but never have I felt comfortable with having just an iPad, I've always said I'd need a laptop and I wasn't wrong for my uses anyway.

However if size is an issue then as I mentioned the iPad is a great travel companion and there are tons of current accessories available that you can work with that will make it more convenient and functional, not to mention its a little cheaper and you can get it now.

Remember that the iPad Air 2 is outdated now, it is great and will continue to be great for awhile but when the next one comes along you might be wishing you hadn't settled.

8. VesselA macrumors regular

I have a samsung note pro 12.2 so I pretty much know how the iPad pro will feel as a tablet in terms of size. Gaming is more immersive on such a large display but the weight makes it less comfortable to hold after a few minutes.
    The size is an issue for a tablet, one handed holding is going to be even more fatiguing than the Air, so it is really a two hand holding device, which makes holding and drawing not very likely.
    The bigger display has advantages, such as bigger keyboard, on the note 12.2 it seems less restrictive to do documents, so it works very well if you have it in a case sitting on the table, not very manageable for using holding it with hands though.

in my view the iPad mini is the only iPad that is actually comfortable for a decent length of time in one hand, even the air I notice starts to fatigue the arm after a few minutes

9. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

For productivity 9.7" is useless. I'd go with 12.9" iPad Prosumer especially for the beefier specs and future proofing. 2GB DRAM on the iPad Air 2 is going to become a bottleneck when iOS evolves to support more split view apps beyond two.

10. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

I just sold my iPad Air 2 in preparation for the iPad Pro. But now I'm just not sure so I'll give my thoughts.

iPad Air 2:
    + Power. This was an overpowered device last year and is still a powerhouse now
    + Price. Due to its "age" then price drops/sales are everywhere. You can score one for well below retail
    + Very light. Very portable.
    - Lacks Pencil Support. Even if you don't need it now, if it takes off you may need it later
    - Lacks Smart Keyboard Dock. Sure, the keyboard looks bad but that dock may be key for certain accessories
    - Lacks 3D Touch. (I like parity between features so going from my 6S+ to non3D will be weird)

iPad Pro
    + Big screen/speakers = fantastic media consumption device (theoretically. it may also suck due to awkwardness)
    - Price. Nobody is buying the 32GB so we're looking at a $950 machine with tons of limitations which is crazy
    - Pencil/Keyboard are nice but way way way overpriced
    - Apple seems unsure of its target market and is grasping at straws. (No, this is not a business machine)
    - Apple has a history of adoration for "creatives" then immediately ignoring them (Mac Pro. FCP. Aperture etc)
    - No kickstand. People made fun of it but the Surface Pro 3 kickstand makes it incredibly versatile
    - Doesn't stand on its own. Pro doesn't belong in a case but if you want it to stand then you have no choice.
    - Promise of specialized Apps rarely are fulfilled. (Remember the buzz around 6+ screen space that never got used)

iPad None (Skip this Generation and wait for Air3 or Pro2)
    + Next ten Air/Pro will have 3D Touch
    + Next gen Air/Pro will have much cheaper accessories (or even bundled pencils!)
    + Early adopters pay far more than subsequent generation buyers
    + Waiting means you have a chance to see what this product actually is meant for because right now its unclear
    + Next Gen Air/Pro will have just about everything that is missing from this years choices

Personally, I want a Pro because I no longer take my iPad out of the house anymore so going big makes sense. BUT... at $1000 then its just too expensive for a machine that seems to be "designed by committee". I'm not saying that any iPad should have a specific unitary task, but in this case (and until apps help define why we need it) then it really is "a big ass iPad".

11. markovchain macrumors member

save up to avoid buying any iPad until pro is out. trade any unused iDevices.
    Buy the pro once it is out. Even better even you can wait until iPad pro 2 out to buy a refurbished iPad Pro 1

12. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

I am in a similar position. Duo to the nature of my business, I have used my old ipad3 extensively, especially the last year. I have the feeling the usage pattern will not change. For now I will wait till I have the iPad pro in my hands to check it out. But I am sure I will be on board, once it's up for grasp in those stores. The pro will be exactly my product, especially in conjunction with my Sinology Nas system. It already works great with the old ipad3.
    I'll pass regarding the apple watch for now, but I am sure it will be very hard for me to resist the iPad pro.
    My advice: Do not decide before you haven't held it in your hands. The Air2 is real great and all, but the high dev display is a critical issue for me. The four speaker system will be the icing on an already delicious cake.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I have the Air 2 but now waiting for the Surface Pro 4 as the iPad Pro still does not have a "proper" file/folder system that I can store my data in for times when cellular or WiFi are no available. We work in the field and there are times that there is no cell tower near and no Wifi. A SD card and USB port would be nice but Apple will never allow it!

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What about wifi drives? I personally haven't tried them, as I always am in range of cellular or wifi connection, but if I were going to be offline, that is what I'd look at.

15. Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

I am super excited to get the iPad Pro. I have been able to use an iPad as my office away from home for a while now. I have been wishing for a tablet this size for a long time from Apple. This year I purchased the Mini 4 128gb and will be purchasing the iPad pro 128gb, both will be exceptional in what they do in their respective sizes.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

We looked at that for sure and that would be a possibility

17. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

If you are a writer then I think Air 2 suits you well. If money is not an issue then go for a Pro but be sure to buy a Smart Keyboard.

18. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Well considered reasons.

There are some great prices on the Air 2. Very difficult to pass up for those in the market for an iPad. I just ordered a 128GB Air 2 for $100 off.

In general, I think that the iPad Pro is mostly beneficial for those who simply want a larger version iPad. The keyboard is pretty lame. The price is insulting. I have too many questions about the Pencil to form an opinion on it beyond the price.

Depending upon customer reception of the iPad Pro, (if it is weaker than expected) I can see Apple making significant changes for the 2nd gen. Lack of support for mice/trackpads (bluetooth or otherwise) is greatly disappointing to me. That COULD be addressed via an iOS update, but we'll see.

I have some questions about 3D Touch. The marketing-speak about it implies a hardware element to it, but I'm not so sure that it is anything more sophisticated as being able to detect a change in the circumference of the finger tap.

I think that the iPad Pro 2 will be the device to watch. In the meantime, I'll be enjoying the Air 2.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I may have missed it, but where did Apple state this "detect change in circumference"? On the Apple Watch, Force Touch just detects force -- circumference of the area being touched doesn't seem to matter.

20. GoldfishRT thread starter macrumors 6502

GoldfishRT

This is what mostly formed my decision over the past week.

1. I can get a 128GB, 4G capable Air 2 for under $700 on Apple's site refurbished or brand new from various retailers for just a bit more. At $1000+ for the comparable Pro model without a keyboard or the stylus, it might make more sense to just buy a MacBook and a hotspot.

2. Tried and true, and other than RAM which admittedly might be what will hamstring the machine over the next few years, it's still a very potent tablet.

3. The pencil is useless for me, a decent keyboard case is more important. I have no doubt that ones will exist for the Pro but the options for the Air 2 are limitless already and I was able to find one that really impressed me.

4. I'm not convinced that multitasking will be so much better on the Pro to make it worth it. In my traditional workflow I usually keep things fullscreen and CMD-Tab myself backwards and forwards between apps, something the Air 2 is more than capable of and actually able to do as of iOS 9.

5. Portability doesn't seem to be the Pros strongest point. It's relatively thin compared to Ultrabooks sure, but compared to an Air 2 with a keyboard case which not only weighs less but is netbook sized (a class of devices I sorely miss) it's quite large. We've also yet to see in real world usage what the battery life is like as well.

21. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I didn't say that Apple said that. That is my conclusion. Sorry for the confusion.

It is impossible to press harder on the screen without more of the surface of your finger coming into contact with the screen. The touchscreen sensors could detect the expanding of the circumference of contact area as "pressing harder".

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well that's not how it works, at least on the watch. I can cover almost the entire surface of the watch with my thumb, but that doesn't register as a force touch. Use my index finger to jab at the screen, and it's recognized as a force touch.

23. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

The other issue is that, at that price, you're bumping into the territory of the Macbook Air. If all you really want to do is use the iPad Pro with a keyboard and will forego the Apple Pencil, then there's a question over whether the iPad Pro is really a superior option to the laptop.

24. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

The keyboard has the potential to be good. I'm not a fan of the keyboard on the new MacBooks, but if Apple has emulated that keyboard exactly with the folding cover-style keyboard then I'd be impressed. I don't think the MacBook keyboard is impressive on a computer, but it is impressive as a cover keyboard.

The Pencil looks interesting. It's my #1 reason for considering the iPad Pro; everything else is a distant second.

Based on Apple's keynote presentation imagery, 3D Touch relies on measuring the differences in how far the screen is pushed down (which may occur indirectly by some linkage... I can't remember the schematic too well). The bigger issue that a lot of us forget is that 3D Touch (and Force Touch on the Apple Watch) rely on haptic feedback. Press down to activate Force Touch on the Apple Watch, a gentle buzz alerts you to the fact that you've pressed sufficiently hard and have activated the next level of touch. It's the same with the trackpad on the MacBook, and I believe they mentioned that 3D Touch on the iPhones will work the same way, just with more levels of sensitivity.

The trouble is that the Apple Watch, the new MacBook's trackpad, and the iPhones are all much smaller devices than the iPad. With the exception of the trackpad, all of those devices have vibration motors, and the trackpad is still small enough that it's not too difficult to add them in. The iPads are, by comparison, huge, and lack vibration motors. Given how the iPad Air 2's speakers cause the chassis to vibrate (pleasingly to my hands), adding in motors for the iPads may not be as big a deal as it seems, yet it still represents additional hardware to be added in that will take up weight, space, and battery.

All that aside, the iPad Air 2 is an awesome tablet, and it sounds like you got quite a good deal on it! Enjoy!

Edit: sorry for the double-post, the forum did something weird in posting something I had written and initially held back when I wanted to just add another quote to it...

25. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

I don't know about you, but this screams MacBook 12" to me. Some people don't like the keyboard, but to me it's one of its best features. And you get 16:9 ratio and a full OS.

Why would you not consider the new MacBook? It is amazingly portable given what it can do.