Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
Although the benchmark for iPad Air 2 is awesome, it wouldn't be worth it for me if I don't get to use it enough - I find myself going back to MacBook Pro (I am typing it out here), and when I am not in front of the desk, I use my iPhone 6.

I guess iPad used to be awesome when compared to the tiny 3.5" iPhone screen when it first came out, and it's very comfortable to use while sitting on a sofa, which I no longer do much of.

Reactions: Billy95Tech

1ONE

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2014
:apple: should have put the A8X Chip in the iPhone 6 Plus.

Had they done that, it might have pushed me over the edge toward buying that over the 6. I was worried about "lag" so I passed.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
:apple: should have put the A8X Chip in the iPhone 6 Plus.

Had they done that, it might have pushed me over the edge toward buying that over the 6. I was worried about "lag" so I passed.

Give me a BREAK on the lag. The A7 driving a similar sized screen as the current 6+ in the Air (last year model) didn't lag, so why on earth would something more powerful (most powerful SOC out there) lag? And that'S in the 6+, in the 6 that's even more insane an assertion.

Just throwing FUD to see if it sticks?

The A8X can't run in a phone without having a massive battery and heat problem, that's it.

MacCurry

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
In comparison to the Google Nexus 9, the iPad Air 2 is faster.

GNex 9 = 3166 (preliminary, since we know little about it)
Note 4 = 3259

We should know all details in the next 3 weeks.

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
Awesomes scores gonna be a beast but I be sticking with my Air first gen for another year I think. Hard to upgrade when in RL the only difference I probably notice is Touch ID

JobsGang

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2013
I've never owned an iPad (or any tablet for that matter) and I've never wanted one either. Tablets just do not appeal to me, at all. I've always been content with a Macbook and an iPhone.

So, I'm not lusting over the Air 2. However, this makes me pretty irritated with the iPhone 6, which I bought on launch day. It's obvious that the 6S will be at least 56% faster with twice the RAM. On one hand, this really should be expected. In the past, the iPhone doubled in speed/power every year, the 6 was the only phone to buck this trend, so in most cases, this would happen to every iPhone owner, no matter which model they bought (except the 5S which is nearly as fast as the 6, and keeps its owners content for an extra year).

On the other hand, I'm kicking myself for being impatient and getting the only iPhone in the series that is only barely faster than the previous version. I upgraded from a 4S, so the jump was kind of justified, but I really should have waited for the 6S. I convinced myself that the massive leaps in power every year was finally slowing down and perhaps a permanent thing of the past, but it turns out the iPhone 6 is just a bastard child. This will probably make it more difficult to sell than previous generations as well. At least I went with a 16GB 4.7" regular 6, instead of a 128GB 6+.

Oh well. I kind of anticipated unlocking and selling my 6 and getting a 6S, because I don't know how much longer I can tolerate 1GB of RAM. Hopefully the trade-up will be less than $200.

Also, there is no such thing as a "triple-core" processor. It's a quad-core with one core disabled, because that's just the type of thing Apple does. I want to know, with which device will they unlock the 4th core?

Just wait for the 8s.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
correct. It's just that the apple fanbois are being purposely obtuse when it comes to multitasking that customers are asking for.

No,
Multitasking is a subject used by people such as yourself, who come onto an Apple discussion forum, even though you hate Apple... and need to have something to complain or criticize. Does samsung pay you well?

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
However, this makes me pretty irritated with the iPhone 6, which I bought on launch day. It's obvious that the 6S will be at least 56% faster with twice the RAM. On one hand, this really should be expected. In the past, the iPhone doubled in speed/power every year, the 6 was the only phone to buck this trend

That's not true. The iPhone 4 had a CPU that was also only 25% faster than the 3GS'. Worse, unlike the 6 which has a significantly faster graphics than the 5s, the iPhone 4 kept the same GPU as the 3GS which meant in graphic tests the 3GS was actually faster than the 4 because of the extra resolution in the iPhone 4. That didn't stop countless users from enjoying the 4.

More notably, the iPhone 3G used the same processor and graphics as the original iPhone. No performance improvement there.

So the iPhone 6 is not the only iPhone that didn't get the 2x performance improvement. For whatever reason all the problems suffered by the previous generations of Apple products tend to be forgotten here and Apple is getting perpetually worse every year as a company.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
In comparison to the Google Nexus 9, the iPad Air 2 is faster.

GNex 9 = 3166 (preliminary, since we know little about it)
Note 4 = 3259

We should know all details in the next 3 weeks.

The 64 bit soc note 4 scores 4000 and it's not running 64 bit yet only 32 bit active

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-09-22-23-58-58.png
    Screenshot_2014-09-22-23-58-58.png
    234 KB · Views: 103

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Just curious: are all 8 cores benchmarked or are 4 of the cores for low power tasks?

No idea if geek bench is 8 threaded or not but the exynos note 4 is a 64 bit arm soc running 32 bit kernel and 32 bit kit kat.

I would assume another 200-1000 point gain in full 64 bit mode running lollipop that supports 64 bit

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
No idea if geek bench is 8 threaded or not but the exynos note 4 is a 64 bit arm soc running 32 bit kernel and 32 bit kit kat.

I would assume another 200-1000 point gain in full 64 bit mode running lollipop that supports 64 bit
I was just curious because I wasn't sure if it all 8 cores can run simultaneously or if it did the 4 powerful cores and 4 low-power cores.

Seems to be some very random guessing. I'm interested to see how much of a difference it'll make.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
I was just curious because I wasn't sure if it all 8 cores can run simultaneously or if it did the 4 powerful cores and 4 low-power cores.

Seems to be some very random guessing. I'm interested to see how much of a difference it'll make.

The latest exynos 8 core soc can run all 8 cores at once for max performance. The kernel/scheduler is always set for max efficiency so it will do its best for over all power efficiency.

My guess is it was 4 big cores around 75% each depending on how the scheduler wanted to push the cores.with 1200 single core each assuming perfect scalability for each big core the phone should of scored 4800 points so this in no way is all 8 cores running max performance

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
The iPad 3 is the red-headed stepchild of the iPad line.

It had a gorgeous retina display but lacked the internal horsepower to adequately drive said display. The end result has been that starting with iOS 6 and definitely continuing to iOS 7 and beyond, the iPad 3 struggles to do basic things like fluid scrolling and it lacks responsiveness in general. I have an iPad 3 on iOS 7 and honestly, it feels at times like I'm using an Android device. I don't think I'm going to chance it with iOS 8.

I hope the iPhone 6/6+ doesn't have the same fate.

The iPad 3 was a mistake.. Thicker and Heavier than the 2 with only a slight performance advantage. I imagine when the 2 and 3 were sold side-by-side the 2 outsold the 3 (although Apple has never released the actual numbers). The iPad Air was the first time I even considered upgrading my 2, but I decided to wait one more generation. I am glad I waited.

The iPad 3 and 4 always felt like a step backwards from the 2 and I felt no desire to upgrade and also realized the iPad 2 was still working great. I still spend several hours a day on it just like I did when I got it on launch day.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
How many times do you find yourself I the grocery store with an iPad and no iPhone in your pocket?

Zero. I also never find myself wanting to take a photo at Disneyland with an iPad. Yet there are plenty of people that do.

RedBanana

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
The iPad 3 was a mistake.. Thicker and Heavier than the 2 with only a slight performance advantage. I imagine when the 2 and 3 were sold side-by-side the 2 outsold the 3 (although Apple has never released the actual numbers). The iPad Air was the first time I even considered upgrading my 2, but I decided to wait one more generation. I am glad I waited.

The iPad 3 and 4 always felt like a step backwards from the 2 and I felt no desire to upgrade and also realized the iPad 2 was still working great. I still spend several hours a day on it just like I did when I got it on launch day.

iPad 3 was the first Retina iPad, one of the main reasons I bought it. Defiantly not a mistake. Still working great, I'm waiting for iPad 11 just because the number is aesthetically pleasing and it'll be like that sheet of paper on Caprica.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Betting the 6S will have optical image stabilization too - without the nipple.

How? Its the limits of physics that introduces... The nipple. If the sensor was even bigger,the protuberance would be even bigger.

----------

I have to agree.

Why does stereo matter in something that's less than the width of your head normally. It would only really work in landscape mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.