iPad iPad Air 2 vs iPad Air

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Serban, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Serban Suspended

2. Thares macrumors regular

Thares

Still the only change that will probably be a game changer is the Touch ID thing. The rest is kinda incremental. Personally, I was disappointed when Apple did not implement Touch ID in the original iPad Air.

I own the iPad Air and I love it. I would rather buy a refurbished Air than a new Air 2.

3. Serban thread starter Suspended

if you already have an Air why would you buy another Air?
    until now i thought only the difference will be the new A8 chip and TouchId
    but with slimmer and probably lighter profile i think i will exchange my Air with Air 2

And yes if my Air had TouchId already probably i would stick with it for another 1-2 years

4. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

These "updates" are trivial, IMO. Thinner and lighter? C'mon, it's already thin and light enough. Touch ID is fine but not everyone cares about that. The A8 chip won't be much of a real upgrade either.

I'm sticking with my current Air. No brainer for me.

5. The Banana macrumors member

It will be better in every way... I'm upgrading!
    I also hate the gap between the panel and the display, it sounds cheap when you poke on it...

6. ajiuo macrumors 65816

I hope it's fake.. I would not buy an iPad without a rotation lock switch. Control center takes to long.

7. Powrie macrumors 6502

8. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

Touch id. meh.

9. Rodster macrumors 68040

Totally agree although I may go with the rMini 2 since I no longer own it. Touch ID is not something i'll use.

10. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Since apple seem disinterested in improving safari/WebKit(since they've had almost two years to work on the current ios7 version of it), the ONLY ways we would be getting GREATLY reduced tab reloads are by caching on the storage and more RAM.

If the iPad Air2 has more RAM, than it I'll easily blow the Air away if the multitasking is present in iOS 8.

11. cababah macrumors 68000

Depends...if the SOC will have 2GB of RAM then it could be a huge upgrade for future multi-tasking support.

12. Serban thread starter Suspended

And even with the rumours that A8 will be the first quad core chip from Apple with 2Gb Ram...a thinner device, TouchID...will be a nice upgrade

13. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I think Apple will add 8Megapixel back camera to iPad Air 2 I could be wrong. :apple:

14. MagicHAM macrumors regular

MagicHAM

Touch I.D should have been on the first iPad Air. These updates are simply unnecessary when they could have been put in the first iPad air model. You have to wonder whether Apple actually plan what to release with each iPad version in advance!

15. FiremanMike macrumors regular

Maybe, but they'll do their standard advertising campaign and make you feel like the air 2, mini 3, and iPhone 6 can cure world hunger and that you simply can't live without them.

16. Zombolo macrumors member

17. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

You are not supposed to upgrade every year, that's just ridiculous.

The update might not be that great to you, but people who have an iPad 2 or 3 for example, the 2014 iPad Air will be a massive leap.

18. AlphaHel1X macrumors newbie

AlphaHel1X

This

But, I wouldn't hate them if there was 3 Gb though

19. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Oh I totally agree. I went from a 2 to an Air. I was just looking at it from the perspective of a current Air owner and how these new features are not so important.

20. Drucifer macrumors regular

I was considering upgrading my iPad Mini 1st gen to an iPad Air and giving my kids the Mini. I was going to wait for iPad Air 2 but the only big change likely is Touch ID and while I use it on my iPhone I just don't see me using it on the iPad Air especially with my Moshi Versacover turning the device on automatically when I open it.

Anyway I bought the iPad Air for like $80 or so off at Futureshop around Canada Day.

21. kingalexthe1st macrumors 6502

kingalexthe1st

Yeah, it should have been on the 1st Air, just like retina should have been on the mini. They leave it off to whet the appetite and ensure that at least some people upgrade the following year. I remember the mini being released and it was $329, when I think a lot of people expected it to be sub-$300. But the next year the retina is released and priced at $399 and the 1st gen drops to $299, which I bet was the plan all along. I laughed when Phil Schiller introduced the retina mini and claimed that they 'had listened to customers when they wanted retina'.

TBH, I might get a refurbished Air 1st gen, or one off eBay, when the 2nd gen is released. Much cheaper :)

Alex

22. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Your usage sounds like mine - distributing electronics down to the rest of the family. In that case, I would greatly suggest holding off for the air2, as two gigs of ram would last a TON longer than the 1 gig of ram in the air today.

If multitasking does come in, and it really should, then given 500 Meg's for the OS, the air has 250megs per app(assuming 2), while the air2 would have 750megs per two.

That alone should make you hold off from a "legacy" perspective.

23. Skika macrumors 68030

Keeping my Air for at least when the sapphire iPad comes.

24. AlphaHel1X macrumors newbie

AlphaHel1X

Was thinking the sapphire acquisitions apple made were for iWatches and maybe iPhones only...

Would be a cool feature though

25. Skika macrumors 68030

I think its coming to the iPad as well, but first to get it will be the Air and maybe later the mini.

Im thinking next year.