iPad Air 3 Cases to Fit Four Speakers, Rear Flash, and Smart Connector Appear

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
I guess Apple *may* have added features such as a Smart Connector because some of us don't want/need an iPad Pro.

Whilst 4GB of RAM would be a welcome addition I can't imagine Apple will "blur the lines" to avoid sales of the Pro from plummeting.

Reactions: orbital~debris

augustya

macrumors 68030
Feb 17, 2012
Will adding four speakers not add to the weight to the iPad Air? Will it not make it heavy and thick than the iPad Air 2?

dantracht

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Are 4 speakers really a big deal..?

How many people are buying an iPad thinking this a priority consideration? An nice addition maybe, but if you can afford an iPad Pro, or an iPad Air 3, you are likely to have (and will still need to have) invested in a proper audio solution if sound quality is your thing.
EXACTLY! I usually airplay any sound from my iPad Air 2 to my proper speakers.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
That attitude would have kept us on 512 MB RAM forever.
I'm not saying that more RAM will never be useful or necessary, but it's simply not now. Why not make that argument for the Air 3 having 8 or even 16GB of RAM?

gelous

macrumors newbie
So it's basically a small iPad Pro. I wonder if it'll support the Pencil. That'll be one way to make me regret my Pro purchase.
I am currently seriously thinking about an iPad pro, and mainly for the wacom like drawing that can be done on it… would you actually regret buying one if they come out with an Air that's pencil compatible? Im trying to decide if I should wait, as there is a chance the new iPad WILL be pencil compatible. Do you not think the size of the Pro is advantageous with drawing and such? I'm interested in opinions as the pro is quite pricey (but cheap compared to a wacom companion) Any help is appreciated :D

Reactions: orbital~debris

augustya

macrumors 68030
Feb 17, 2012
Nobody is commenting on the weight? Will the Air be heavy and thick with four speakers?

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Maybe it could have six speakers like everyone wants if they got rid of the headphone socket that nobody uses... ;):rolleyes:

MrGuder

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2012
What Apple needs is to incorporate the speakers to the front of the iPad and iPhones instead of the side. It's the one thing I hate the speaker grill placement projects the sound away from you.

I just bought a Spigen iPhone 6s case called Thin Fit Hybrid and it's genius, Spigen designed the speaker grill toward the bottom front tilting the holes toward you while still keeping the phone case thin with no extra space. It's amazing how well this little case works it amplifies the sound toward you. I no longer have to cup my hand around the speaker. It's the best iPhone case I've ever bought.

Gudi

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Are 4 speakers really a big deal..?
The biggest deal of them all.
How many people are buying an iPad thinking this a priority consideration?
People who previously bought an iPad Air 2 and returned it because of the unbearable speaker vibrations. If they do nothing about the current speaker situation they will get customer complaints.
Nobody is commenting on the weight? Will the Air be heavy and thick with four speakers?
Would you prefer silence instead?

Reactions: AdiQue

ThisBougieLife

macrumors 68000
Jan 21, 2016
SF Bay Area, California
I am currently seriously thinking about an iPad pro, and mainly for the wacom like drawing that can be done on it… would you actually regret buying one if they come out with an Air that's pencil compatible? Im trying to decide if I should wait, as there is a chance the new iPad WILL be pencil compatible. Do you not think the size of the Pro is advantageous with drawing and such? I'm interested in opinions as the pro is quite pricey (but cheap compared to a wacom companion) Any help is appreciated :D
There's no way the new iPad will be Pencil-compatible; that would almost totally nullify the distinctiveness of the iPad Pro (and it's massive price increase).

gelous

macrumors newbie
I would love them to make this pencil compatible. But if it includes the Pro's speaker upgrades, smart connector, processor and RAM, then the only notable difference left for the Pro is the size… is that what defines the Pro? or will they keep it the only pencil compatible device? I really want the Pencil…

Reactions: shameermulji

augustya

macrumors 68030
Feb 17, 2012
People who are excited about getting four speakers on the Air should ask themselves if they wanna do a trade of between sound and weight and bulk.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
The biggest deal of them all.
People who previously bought an iPad Air 2 and returned it because of the unbearable speaker vibrations. If they do nothing about the current speaker situation they will get customer complaints.
Then you are using it wrong.

Seriously, if you are playing music loud enough to cause "unbearable speaker vibrations", which are most likely sound distortion by playing music at a level, or sound equaliser setting beyond the iPads audio remit, you need to listen through an appropriate sound source.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
I think that people who are hoping for pencil support will be disappointed, as the latest iOS betas put more restrictions on the use of the pencil. All speculation, but the iPad Pro needs a few tricks that are not available on other iPads. Slightly more likely seems 3d touch, but even that might be hoping for too much.