All iPads iPad Air AT&T vs T-Mobile, which one will you get?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jp700p, Oct 28, 2013.

?

AT&T vs T-Mobile iPad Air, which will you be getting?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2013.
  1. AT&T

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
  2. T-Mobile

19 vote(s)
    63.3%
  1. jp700p macrumors regular

AT&T
    Pros:
    Great coverage
    1GB, and you have 3 months to use it all up.

Cons:
    Costs money

T-Mobile
    Pros:
    Free 200MB per month.

Cons:
    Crappy coverage map.

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If you have decent T-Mob coverage in your area and will only use 1GB data in 3 months then T-Mob seems the way to go. Assuming the Air is 100% unlocked like past models -- think it is but will have to read the reviews coming Weds night to confirm -- then you should be able to buy a SIM from ATT or other cellco later for $15 or so if you feel the need.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

It really depends on how much data you use and the carrier coverage where you'll need cellular data.

With my ipad3, I generally use more than 200MB but less than 1GB on a monthly basis. Thus the Verizon $20/1GB prepaid plan has made the most sense so far for my needs. I'll re-evaluate when I get a new ipad, though I don't anticipate doing so in the near future.

4. isephmusic macrumors 6502

Anyone know if battery life is worse on cell version ? I'm buying an air to last me much longer than my 15 inch MacBook Pro and I would hate it dying 2 hours before a wifi version only would

5. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Where did you see details about AT&T offering 1GB of data, and you having 3 months to use it? I've never heard anything like that from AT&T about the data for the iPad Air. Just curious.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm going on a limb and say the iPad for AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon will be the one and the same.

7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

There were some news postings a few weeks ago, and some long threads. From the ATT website:

250MB for 1 day (No Auto Renew) for $5.00
    250MB for 30 days for $14.99
    1GB for 3 months (No Auto Renew) for $25.00
    3GB for 30 days for $30.00
    5GB for 30 days for $50.00
    2GB for 30 days for $25.00

----------

There have been multiple links in the past few days to the apple site showing these are identical units. EXCEPT the sim card that is inserted prior to shipping.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I believe that will be the case as in the past too. But always the possibility of Apple locking out domestic services other than the cellco model bought while leaving international unlocked. I don't think they'd do that but until we get a review of a release model impossible to say based only on what Apple has posted.

9. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I am thinking LOTS of people may buy a different carrier knowing they can just get a sim card. If Apple, for whatever strange reason, locked them, they would a ton of returns.

Personally, I am looking to using ATT or - TMobile depending on travel, data needs, etc. Picking up a $10 SIM for one seems like a no brainer.

10. deeddawg, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

deeddawg macrumors 604

I remember hearing about that, but can't find mention of it again. Do you have a link to where on AT&T they mention this, I've searched but must be missing something.

If I can get that on my ipad3 it might get me to swap over to AT&T as it'd be a little cheaper than my current Verizon prepaid plan.

11. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

T-Mobile. Can't beat free. From the product page, it looks like the iPad is unlocked so you can always swap SIM cards if needed.

12. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I think the only question was whether Sprint or Verizon would allow a device on their network that wasn't originally provisioned for that network.

AT&T vs T-Mobile doesn't seen to be an issue and should work as long as you have the correct SIM.

Cheers,

13. leenak macrumors 68020

Verizon? :) I've had horrible experiences with both AT&T and T-mobile. T-mobile is definitely saturated in my area as it is the most inexpensive service. Verizon has great coverage plus I already have a plan with them so adding to Verizon is simple.

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

Wait 'til you adopt a "free" puppy... :)

I think the 200MB deal is a great thing, especially for low usage folks who would otherwise just get a wifi unit.

Those who regularly use more than 200MB/month need to consider the whole picture of what your typical usage will cost after you exceed the 200MB limit.

15. Schism213 macrumors member

I am an att customer with two lines iPhone 5. The free international data makes tmobile a must for me as I am right across the border from Canada and often take day trips that are unplanned. Even with the speed of said international data, it suits me for twitter, Facebook, and light web browsing.

16. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

On myy first gen iPad, I signed up exactly three times because I was going out of town. I used about 90MB total, because everywhere I stayed had free wi-fi. 200MB a month, for free, is what I'm signing up for.

17. nolegirl macrumors regular

Could I simply just get the ipad from TMO, then when I run out of the free data just connect the TMO ipad to wifi via the hot spot on mobile share plan ? Not really feeling the additional $10 per month with ATT...