iPad iPad Air - case or naked?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by BSDanalyst, Nov 7, 2013.

1. BSDanalyst macrumors regular

From the drop test results and what not, it seems the iPad Air is extremely fragile.

But I'm not one to use a case on iPads, I feel that the folio cases are extremely heavy and takes away whatever form factor and weight loss that Apple has worked so hard for.

What do you do yourself and what are your opinions?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Don't drop your iPad and you don't need a case. Unless I get bumped, I don't see myself ever dropping the iPad.

3. NuggetSauce macrumors regular

Nekkid.

I hate spoiling the sleekness and beauty with cases. And I've found screen protectors useless (for me). Never have had a scratch on an iOS devices screen since I got my first iPod Touch in 2008.

My iPad almost always only chills at home.

My iPhone has the sleekest, and best looking case ever made. It's called AppleCare :p

4. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I actually find the feel of the air uncomfortable when naked in the hand. The chamfered edges are sharp. Particularly noticeable when holding the air while lying down. It reminds me of how I first felt when I got my macbook pro, with that sharp edge. You get used to it, but it def was designed for aesthetics over utility.

The smartcase feels better in hand, although it does add a little bit of weight. It is manageable for me. I love the feel of the leather they used. Very fine, and very supple. Wish the cover worked better as a stand.

And of course, cases are going to provide protection. I like being able to lay the ipad around without having to carefully select a flat and soft surface and/or not having to lay it down gently.

But yes, there is something nice about case-less Apple products. A sleekness and elegance. It's like covering your Ferrari with a bra. It will protect the vehicle, at the cost of some ugliness.

5. mbp17xxx macrumors regular

naked + smart cover, 99% will be used at home, in case i take it out will use a sleeve

6. Vodka macrumors regular

7. BetaZehn macrumors newbie

8. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

If you really want the "Air" part .. you should go naked.
    Using full body cases on iPad Air is lame. Might as well buy the iPad 4 instead.

If you feel your $500+ device too exposed or not secured enough, fine, get the Smart Cover and one skin guard for the rear case. But no more than that because you will either spoil the beauty of the design or eliminating the most important thing of this iPad .. lightness.

9. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

I don't have a case but I put it in a sleeve, that way I can use the device the way it was meant to be used and not worry about damaging it when I travel with it.

10. double329 macrumors 6502

As much as I like mine without the case. Accident happens. My was dropped once already.

11. Pascual macrumors newbie

I'm thinking smart cover + sleeve is the way to go. I use my iPad regularly at work and need to prop it up on my desk. Like many have said here, I also don't want to ruin the form factor of the Air.

12. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

Call me crazy, but I use a black Apple Smart Case. It matches my iPhone 5s Apple case in black leather perfectly. Neither is bulky and both provide a decent level of basic protection. I carry mine around with me everywhere and use it at work and three nights a week while teaching for Keynote presentations. Although I'm careful, even a minor scratch would bug the crap out of me. The Smart Case adds some bulk, but nothing like the the iPad Retina (4) and Smart Case combo I passed along to my kids.

13. Mikekan macrumors regular

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

From the drop test? You meant those pointless idiotic link bait videos of some d-bag dropping his iPad 4-5ft flat on concrete?

C'mon. It's not all that realistic a scenario. If you are going to drop your iPad its going to be on an softer indoor flooring surface unless you live in a warehouse -- in which case sure, go get an Otterbox or similar. But then as someone else said why spend $ on the Air. Go by a refurb or closeout 4.

Also, when iPad drop its usually because they are pushed off a sofa or table accidentally which is a significantly short distance to the ground than 4ft. They can handle such drops usually w/o incident -- of course it always depends on what angle & velocity first ground contact is made.

Finally go check out the other drop tests from previous iPads or other tablets. Drop any large mass of glass on cement and it's going to crack at a minimum. It's just plain physics. The Air is no different.

So in house -- keep naked. Out of house, transport it in a sleeve. If you are really that clumsy that you could drop it flat on the ground like the "tests" then buy no fault insurance.

15. c613m macrumors 6502

c613m

Naked, with a BSE Matte on back.

And a sleeve for travelling.

16. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

17. iDave macrumors 6502a

Naked, with a couple strips of vinyl tape on the back for grip.

18. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Naked right now, but have a leatherish portfolio coming today. I want to be able to bring back and forth to work/home, not having to worry about getting it scratched and dinged.

I do use my devices (normally) without a case or screen protector.

19. kmoreau48 macrumors member

kmoreau48

Actually the iPad air with the smart case combined is still lighter than the ipad 4 naked...

20. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Since the whole point of "air" is to be light -- No case. I bought a smart cover though, for times you need to put it on a stand to watch a video, etc.

21. chrise2 macrumors 6502

My old iPad had the smart cover and the back got scratched up a bit. And that was just from setting it down on hard surfaces at home, never taking it anywhere. The new iPad I got with the Smart Case. I carry it around with me in my work bag (in its own pocket still). But I don't have to worry about it scratching setting it down anywhere. The smart cover i was always feeling like i had to be careful with it. Its still thin and light with the case, just not as thin and light.

We'll see as time goes on. I'm usually super protective when a device is new. After a year, I'll probably use it to level a table or something. :)

22. ScottW1, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013

ScottW1 macrumors regular

I primarily use my iPad for web surfing while on the couch, and when done I always put it on the end table.

I made that end table myself from a slab of 250 year-old tropical wood given to me by my grandfather.

Full leather smart case to protect the table from scratches!! :)

23. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

24. Tom359 macrumors regular

No case while at home or at office, folio case when on plane

I go 50/50. When I am at home or at my office, no case. When I'm travelling and going to and from my office, I put it in a folio case. This protects it "just in case", and I can watch movies hands free.

25. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Smart Case is good for me. Adds little to the weight or thickness. WIll help from scratches but doubt it will help with a drop.