Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SlasherDuff

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2008
Gator Country
Please help me out guys. Finally decided to pay up for the Smart Case.

Now I have to decide on which decide on which colour to choose for the white iPad Air; brown, blue or red?

i currently have the red one for mine

image.jpg

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
The Kavaj is close to the Smart Cover. But it's a much better case IMO than the Smart Cover.

I agree the Kavaj I think is as thin as cases get. They are lightweight as well. I totally love the design of the one fold cover. For me, it just works better, gives a better typing angle and is very secure when it's tucked in the back tab. I know that many folks don't like any bevel on their screen. Even though this case has a bevel, it's very narrow and unobtrusive. Beyond the style, the feel in hand is just great. The leather smells luxurious and just feels soft as you would expect leather to. I have this case in both the cognac and the black.

My only gripe is that it took two orders of each to get a decent case. My first cognac had thread unraveling around the speaker holes and my first black one had a bunch in the back that was sewn in and would never lay flat. The company was quick to respond and take care of sending replacements. It just bugs the heck out of me to purchase something that you look at everyday with cosmetic defects. I know that I'm a little nit-picky but I'd pay more to be assured of top quality.

With all that saiid, I would still highly recommend the Kavaj cases.

Tropischen

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2013
Got my kavaj Berlin today as well and I'm very happy with it. Since it's a little bit stiff at the beginning I had to bend it a little bit here and there but now it fits very well. The stand function is nice too. I think it's a very good product considering the price.

tuna9720

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
I'm looking for the same exact but less expensive smart cover that are sold at apple stores for $39. This

The price wouldn't be too expensive only if I wasn't buying in different colors.

So I got couple from ebay $7 each but I didn't like it. The pictures were misleading, looking like the ones in Apple Stores. However, the magnet didn't hold the iPad Air, when in stand position and the inside color should match the outside color, which it didn't. I got a refund eventually.

When you search smart cover, most of them are covering both front/back, but I just want a front cover. I appreciate if anyone could find a cheaper cover ..

Thanks in advance.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I bought a i-Blason iFolio in black last week from Amazon UK,
it feels very well built for it's price and the cut outs for both mice are spot on.

http://www.i-blason.com/i-folio-smart-cover-smart-case-for-ipad-air.html

Only complaints are that it does add a bit of weight compared to a thin shell and smart cover but I think this is amplified as the Air is so light on its own and the speaker grills are totally exposed but that is minor as some cheap cases the cutouts don't line up.

Here are some pics

Is that a metal tab on the insider cover? :confused:

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
How did you like this case, I just ordered the Berlin now wondering if I should have gotten this one :/

It's perfect. You get better viewing angles on the Hamburg. Better than the Berlin. You get the typing angle of the Berlin on the Hamburg anyway.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Replacement Kavaj - thread unraveling##

Okay, I've purchased two Kavaj cases - one each in Cognac and black. Both original cases were not acceptable quality for me so I got replacement cases quickly from Kavaj.

I really, really like these cases and have been thrilled once I received the quality replacement cases. So today I was looking at my husband's case and can see a loose thread up by where the case meets the cover flap. So then I scrutinize my replacement black case, which I've only been using since Wednesday - argh! In the same place but opposite side, I can see loose threads. This is so disappointing to me as it is my favorite case. I have put some glue on the threads that are loose and hopefully this keeps them attached. So for me, 3 out of 4 cases have had the thread unravel in one spot or another. The first one which had the problem by the speaker holes, I think was just a fluke with a defect. The most recent loose threads by where the case part attaches to the cover appears to be a design defect where the thread just doesn't hold up to the stress of the cover being opened and closed.

Just to be clear, neither my husband or me are rough handlers. Our cases look like new and have only been used for a few days (mine) and a week for my husband.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the glue works.....

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Okay, I've purchased two Kavaj cases - one each in Cognac and black. Both original cases were not acceptable quality for me so I got replacement cases quickly from Kavaj.

I really, really like these cases and have been thrilled once I received the quality replacement cases. So today I was looking at my husband's case and can see a loose thread up by where the case meets the cover flap. So then I scrutinize my replacement black case, which I've only been using since Wednesday - argh! In the same place but opposite side, I can see loose threads. This is so disappointing to me as it is my favorite case. I have put some glue on the threads that are loose and hopefully this keeps them attached. So for me, 3 out of 4 cases have had the thread unravel in one spot or another. The first one which had the problem by the speaker holes, I think was just a fluke with a defect. The most recent loose threads by where the case part attaches to the cover appears to be a design defect where the thread just doesn't hold up to the stress of the cover being opened and closed.

Just to be clear, neither my husband or me are rough handlers. Our cases look like new and have only been used for a few days (mine) and a week for my husband.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the glue works.....

Thank goodness mine is fine. But I hope Kavaj are aware, they must have had a bad run.

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
Despite initially dismissing it as a gimmick, I always seem to end up with a Smart Cover. My favourite combination for the previous iPad was a leather one with a Tech21 Impact Base Case on the back.

I’ve tried the Smart Case, but after using the Air without a case, I found the cover got in the way and it felt as heavy as using an iPad 4. Also, the Smart Case is not really designed to be constantly put on and taken off. It’s such a tight fit that I think this would cause premature wear.

I also tried a snap-on origami style case and whilst this did offer better stand positions, it was still not as good as my previous Smart Cover combination.

The Smart Cover might offer a questionable level of protection, but it’s easy to take off and a convenient way to carry a stand around.

I have to say that I don’t find the new one any less stable than it’s predecessor. I’m not sure if it’s because I’m using it with either a skin, or TPU case, on the back.

There are lots of choices on eBay, or Amazon, for inexpensive Smart Cover compatible TPU cases, but I decided to go for one of these because it offered better coverage, particularly over the speakers -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smart-Cov...es_Covers_Keyboard_Folios&hash=item54010bf996

It appears to be an unbranded version of this one offered by Fintie -
http://www.fintie.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=558_577_579&product_id=3705

Personally, I prefer the lack of branding, it’s more discreet and also cheaper.

Previously, I had purchased a clear TPU back cover, but this discoloured after a short while, which is why I now stick to the black ones.

As far as quality is concerned, some of the edges are a little rough, but this isn’t really apparent when the case is on. The cut-outs for the camera, headphone jack, microphones, lock/mute switch and lightning connector all line up correctly.

The cut-out for the lightning connector is only just big enough for the official charging cable, which is something you may need to consider. Fitting the 0.2m lighning to dock connector adapter meant having to flex the top of the case up. Anything bigger than this wouldn’t fit, but the case is easy enough to take off and put on again.

The edge of the case does buckle out slightly over the volume buttons (I’d be interested to know if the Fintie case also has this issue?). The recess doesn’t appear to be deep enough to accommodate the buttons. Having said that, button presses do work well. Usually, with these type of cases, it takes a lot more pressure.

For me, the lip on the right-hand side allows my thumb to rest against it, giving a more secure grip when holding the iPad one-handed. It also covers most of the polished bezel, only the part where the smart cover attaches is left exposed.

These cases are flexible enough to accommodate an iPad with a skin on the back of it, for when you want to take it out of the case. The downside is that if you’re using a screen protecter, this will probably cause it to peel off at the edges.

The back is slightly textured and a matte finish, so it provides a good grip and doesn’t show fingerprints. Being a soft material, it’s less likely to scratch than a hard plastic shell.

Prior to buying, I was concerned that the speaker holes wouldn’t line up with those on the iPad, there are fewer holes on the case than on the device. However, there’s a shallow recess behind the holes and the sound isn’t impaired at all.

The case weighs approximately 70 grammes, so it really does add minimal weight.

I’m not sure which colour Smart Cover I prefer, black or red, in fact I may end up keeping both. I don’t think the Smart Covers are worth what Apple charges for them, but I managed to pick these up on eBay for a lot less.

I like the design of the case, the fact it fully covers the speakers is a big plus for a TPU case and the price is excellent. I’ll still be waiting to see what Tech21 release for the Air, but even if it’s a better quality and fit, I’m not sure I could justify paying what is likely to be a significantly higher price.

Attachments

• P1020071.JPG
    P1020071.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 161
  • P1020073.JPG
    P1020073.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 164
  • P1020075.JPG
    P1020075.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 152
  • P1020085.JPG
    P1020085.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 133
  • P1020088.JPG
    P1020088.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 139

darkknight11

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2011
Despite initially dismissing it as a gimmick, I always seem to end up with a Smart Cover. My favourite combination for the previous iPad was a leather one with a Tech21 Impact Base Case on the back.

I’ve tried the Smart Case, but after using the Air without a case, I found the cover got in the way and it felt as heavy as using an iPad 4. Also, the Smart Case is not really designed to be constantly put on and taken off. It’s such a tight fit that I think this would cause premature wear.

I also tried a snap-on origami style case and whilst this did offer better stand positions, it was still not as good as my previous Smart Cover combination.

The Smart Cover might offer a questionable level of protection, but it’s easy to take off and a convenient way to carry a stand around.

I have to say that I don’t find the new one any less stable than it’s predecessor. I’m not sure if it’s because I’m using it with either a skin, or TPU case, on the back.

There are lots of choices on eBay, or Amazon, for inexpensive Smart Cover compatible TPU cases, but I decided to go for one of these because it offered better coverage, particularly over the speakers -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smart-Cov...es_Covers_Keyboard_Folios&hash=item54010bf996

It appears to be an unbranded version of this one offered by Fintie -
http://www.fintie.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=558_577_579&product_id=3705

Personally, I prefer the lack of branding, it’s more discreet and also cheaper.

Previously, I had purchased a clear TPU back cover, but this discoloured after a short while, which is why I now stick to the black ones.

As far as quality is concerned, some of the edges are a little rough, but this isn’t really apparent when the case is on. The cut-outs for the camera, headphone jack, microphones, lock/mute switch and lightning connector all line up correctly.

The cut-out for the lightning connector is only just big enough for the official charging cable, which is something you may need to consider. Fitting the 0.2m lighning to dock connector adapter meant having to flex the top of the case up. Anything bigger than this wouldn’t fit, but the case is easy enough to take off and put on again.

The edge of the case does buckle out slightly over the volume buttons (I’d be interested to know if the Fintie case also has this issue?). The recess doesn’t appear to be deep enough to accommodate the buttons. Having said that, button presses do work well. Usually, with these type of cases, it takes a lot more pressure.

For me, the lip on the right-hand side allows my thumb to rest against it, giving a more secure grip when holding the iPad one-handed. It also covers most of the polished bezel, only the part where the smart cover attaches is left exposed.

These cases are flexible enough to accommodate an iPad with a skin on the back of it, for when you want to take it out of the case. The downside is that if you’re using a screen protecter, this will probably cause it to peel off at the edges.

The back is slightly textured and a matte finish, so it provides a good grip and doesn’t show fingerprints. Being a soft material, it’s less likely to scratch than a hard plastic shell.

Prior to buying, I was concerned that the speaker holes wouldn’t line up with those on the iPad, there are fewer holes on the case than on the device. However, there’s a shallow recess behind the holes and the sound isn’t impaired at all.

The case weighs approximately 70 grammes, so it really does add minimal weight.

I’m not sure which colour Smart Cover I prefer, black or red, in fact I may end up keeping both. I don’t think the Smart Covers are worth what Apple charges for them, but I managed to pick these up on eBay for a lot less.

I like the design of the case, the fact it fully covers the speakers is a big plus for a TPU case and the price is excellent. I’ll still be waiting to see what Tech21 release for the Air, but even if it’s a better quality and fit, I’m not sure I could justify paying what is likely to be a significantly higher price.

Agreed. Going to return my smart case. It's bulky. Adds weight. And doesn't close completely. May pick up a Smart Cover to keep the weight down.

Has anyone picked up the pad and quill contega case? How's the weight and durability? Thanks!

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Smart covers are a rip off, they cost 25 cents to make.

Also get black, any colour and have you seen how fast these get dirty? I used 3rd party cases on my pads with the same poly front with magnet, and honestly it still looks like new after a year.

Youre better off going with ghost armour for the front.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Smart covers are a rip off, they cost 25 cents to make.

Also get black, any colour and have you seen how fast these get dirty? I used 3rd party cases on my pads with the same poly front with magnet, and honestly it still looks like new after a year.

Youre better off going with ghost armour for the front.

I agree. Especially as they're $106 in UK!

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
I agree. Especially as they're $106 in UK!

106 Bucks for a smart cover??? Perhaps you mean Case... yeah?

I got a free smart cover and actually liking it a lot. I got a clear soft thin plastic shell for the back and I really enjoy being able to take the cover off compared to my last two iPads that had cases on them (1st gen Apple, 2nd Gen 3rd party). The big test will come in a couple of weeks when I fly. I'm a bit worried about its stability on a seat table. Not that it will fall down, but that it might sway back and forth a lot. We shall see!

JasonHeinz

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
I went for a pack of 2 of the Access Cases on Kickstarter - iPhone case + iPad Air case. The companys called nodus.

These things look awesome using suction pads to keep the iPad in place. I haven't used this suction rubber before and I am hoping that it works as well as they say it does.

They are almost funded so it looks as though I will be getting a case. Lets just hope it turns up in March like they say it will.

----------

Oh actually they are funded. Here it is - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461222838/the-access-case-slim-leather-micro-suction-iphone

kschles

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
Agreed. Going to return my smart case. It's bulky. Adds weight. And doesn't close completely. May pick up a Smart Cover to keep the weight down.

Has anyone picked up the pad and quill contega case? How's the weight and durability? Thanks!

I've got a Contega case for the Air. It's beautifully made. It weighs a little over 12oz, and adds quite a bit of bulk. It's a great case, but definitely not for those who are looking for "thin and light."

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
106 Bucks for a smart cover??? Perhaps you mean Case... yeah?

I got a free smart cover and actually liking it a lot. I got a clear soft thin plastic shell for the back and I really enjoy being able to take the cover off compared to my last two iPads that had cases on them (1st gen Apple, 2nd Gen 3rd party). The big test will come in a couple of weeks when I fly. I'm a bit worried about its stability on a seat table. Not that it will fall down, but that it might sway back and forth a lot. We shall see!

Ha! Yep, case I meant.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
I got a free smart cover and actually liking it a lot. I got a clear soft thin plastic shell for the back and I really enjoy being able to take the cover off compared to my last two iPads that had cases on them (1st gen Apple, 2nd Gen 3rd party).

Thanks for the info. Would you mind sharing which plastic shell you got for the back? Thanks!

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Thanks for the info. Would you mind sharing which plastic shell you got for the back? Thanks!

I'm in Japan, so it could be a Japanese brand. But this is the one:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/iBUFFALO-Ai...d=1386559264&sr=8-2&keywords=ipad+air+ケース+クリア

I like it. I wish it were a bit thinner though and a fraction tighter, but it's comfortable and the clear is really clear. It works well with the smart cover which is important. I'm sure other brands have exactly the same feel and look and possibly a bit cheaper. I didn't have much choice here in Japan. I'd give it a 3.5/5.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Can anybody who has bought a shell case post what theirs looks like? How are you liking it etc?

It doesn't matter if it was a cheap one off eBay or wherever, still on the lookout for one personally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.