Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akil316

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
I ordered the wood smart case from grove but they said it would be delayed 2 weeks from my original ship date so I don't expect it until mid to late January. I am using a fintie smartshell until it comes.

amrtat71

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2013
khz

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Hello Friend

Merry Christmas

please help me for buying a case that have the following conditions :

1- very slim and light and beautiful like The Ridge™ by Devicewear

http://www.amazon.com/Slim-iPad-case-Devicewear-Magnetic/dp/B007PA1K84

2-and be be powefull and to prevent Damage and friction

and have strap like:

Detour 360™ for the new iPad Air by Devicewear

http://www.amazon.com/Devicewear-Detour-Rotating-Switches-DET-IPA-BLK/dp/B00G4EBA4Q

thanks alot

I think you will like the detour case by devicewear. It is slim. If you don't. Please list exactly what you want.

moltr3z

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2013
Looking for the Right Case

I'm looking to add a case for my mom's Air...the criteria I'm looking for are :
1. LIGHTWEIGHT (at least below 6 ounce or about Apple's Smart Case is better ~ 5.1oz / 144g)
2. Has multiple angles (not just 2 like Apple's)
3. Genuine leather
4. Below $80

I have done some research and I really liked DeviceWear , but the only down side is that it's 253g / 8.9oz...

I know, 1-2 ounces may not make a big difference but this is for my mom and when she carries the iPad in her purse (she likes to travel/does a lot of walking), after a while it gets heavy on her...that's why the weight makes such a big difference.

I like Kavaj Hamburg the most because it matches all the criteria I mentioned above, plus it's not as expensive as Apple's Smart Case. But it is out of stock on Amazon :(

Really, right now I'm leaning toward Apple's Smart Case because it is the lightest I can find and it's genuine leather... the only downside is that it has limited angles and it's $80.

I need some suggestions please... thank you very much.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
1. LIGHTWEIGHT (at least below 6 ounce or about Apple's Smart Case is better ~ 5.1oz / 144g)
3. Genuine leather
4. Below $80

I have done some research and I really liked DeviceWear , but the only down side is that it's 253g / 8.9oz...

I know, 1-2 ounces may not make a big difference but this is for my mom and when she carries the iPad in her purse (she likes to travel/does a lot of walking), after a while it gets heavy on her...that's why the weight makes such a big difference.

I like Kavaj Hamburg the most because it matches all the criteria I mentioned above, plus it's not as expensive as Apple's Smart Case. But it is out of stock on Amazon :(

Really, right now I'm leaning toward Apple's Smart Case because it is the lightest I can find and it's genuine leather... the only downside is that it has limited angles and it's $80.

Have you tried to send an email to Kava? Maybe they are out stock as they might be trying to solve their unraveling thread problems and will restock once they do. service@kavaj.com

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
3. Genuine leather
4. Below $80

rooCASE Apple iPad Air Case - Slim Shell Origami Case for Apple iPad 5 Air (5th Gen) Tablet, BLACK (With Smart Cover Auto Wake / Sleep)
http://amzn.com/B00E44B18I

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
So can somebody give me a quick recap before I buy the Apple Smartcase, any other case similar in weight at or around 5 ounces? Is the Poetic the next lightest one?

Vukmon

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013
I am not sure that you should request lightness. Its important that case is durable!

lsh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
tech21 for Air is out

I just found the Tech21 case (back) for the Air in the Apple store - but I haven't found it online.

After dinging my corners with the other backs, I wanted to try this with 'shock absorption' on the corners. It does add a little to the length and width - my felt sleeve is a 1/4" too short but it fits width wise.
I use a Smart Cover.
The store folks rave about the Tech21 for their iphones.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I've been using the new Caudabe Shell with my Smart Cover and this combo has worked well. This is exactly what I had for my prior iPads. Don't fix it if it ain't broke, I suppose.

Brady KEITH

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2013
best sleeve. it's universal. i can throw my charger and cable in there as well. if it gets damaged, fedex *should* replace it for free.

1idf.jpg

kaylerrific

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2012
best sleeve. it's universal. i can throw my charger and cable in there as well. if it gets damaged, fedex *should* replace it for free.

That is hilarious!

I have a mini which I use with a smart cover and a spigen back cover. My husband has an Air and he uses a smart cover and a caudabe shell back cover. I had the caudabe for my old iPad but they don't make one yet for the mini unfortunately otherwise I would get that too as I like the feel of their back covers.

allenr

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2014
far NW US
A really nice, minimalist and quite classy, coated-cloth “book-bound” case is handmade by REGALLA.PT. I have one on my iPad Air. A frameless design, it’s thin and light weight. The edges of the iPad are unobscured, though somewhat protected by the overhang of the case edges, which have very nicely radiused corners. Stays closed magnetically and with optional elastic. Magnets in the cover automatically turn the device on/off.

With the “SmartStand” version the geometry of the case back lets the iPad rest at 45° in landscape mode. It will also stay at 80°, magnetically, without needing grooves on the inside of the front cover.

They also make cases for earlier iPads and for iPhones. I have one, which I like a lot, on my 4S. The magnetic stand feature is available, though, only on the iPad Mini and iPad Air.

Website, in English, http://www.regalla.pt

freikugeln

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2014
poetic graphgrip

So last month l got a red graphgrip case from poetic.It's basically a silicone case,nothing fancy about it but it's well made and gets the basics right.

The silicone feels like rubbery plastic of very qood quality and will hold up for a long time.The cut outs are precise and the sleep and volume buttons(which are covered)have nice feedback.It's very grippy and due to the square pattern almost impossible to slip from your hands.You can also safely make it stand up against something like a couple of stacked books or a pillow to make a sort of temporary stand.

In terms of protection the back and sides are covered as well
as the edges of the bezel around the front.l thinks it is covered more than enough for any accidental drops from normal heights as no matter how it falls it should not get a direct hit unless it is facedown in an extremely uneven surface like spiky rocks or something.

In terms of weight after putting the case l'd say you get close to prior models at about 600gr so it's a trade off between the airiness of going naked to having great protection from scatches and drops.

One last thing l should point out is that you can't put a smartcover.
Overall I'm very pleased as it's pretty cheap(l got it for like 9 bucks+shipping) and provides ample protection.

RKBdfdOl.jpg

gNO5g4dl.jpg

Bds1ds5l.jpg

R2UgUASl.jpg

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
So last month l got a red graphgrip case from poetic.It's basically a silicone case,nothing fancy about it but it's well made and gets the basics right.

The silicone feels like rubbery plastic of very qood quality and will hold up for a long time.The cut outs are precise and the sleep and volume buttons(which are covered)have nice feedback.It's very grippy and due to the square pattern almost impossible to slip from your hands.You can also safely make it stand up against something like a couple of stacked books or a pillow to make a sort of temporary stand.

In terms of protection the back and sides are covered as well

as the edges of the bezel around the front.l thinks it is covered more than enough for any accidental drops from normal heights as no matter how it falls it should not get a direct hit unless it is facedown in an extremely uneven surface like spiky rocks or something.

In terms of weight after putting the case l'd say you get close to prior models at about 600gr so it's a trade off between the airiness of going naked to having great protection from scatches and drops.

One last thing l should point out is that you can't put a smartcover.

Overall I'm very pleased as it's pretty cheap(l got it for like 9 bucks+shipping) and provides ample protection.

Excellent case. I have the black version and like it a lot. I use it as my house case for slim protection currently from day 1. My all time favorite case for my iPad Air.

jor17

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Hey team,

I'm looking for some help choosing a smart case for my iPad air.

It seems these are the only solid options:

Invellop Leatherette Smart Case
http://www.amazon.com/INVELLOP-Black-Leatherette-Cover-Generation/dp/B00FAMAQQG

Photive Smart Case
http://www.amazon.com/Photive-Light...2&sr=1-1&keywords=photive+ipad+air+smart+case

Case crown omni
http://www.amazon.com/CaseCrown-Carbon-Feature-Multi-Angle-Viewing/dp/B00BISWIHQ

I didn't include the Apple smart case because I've only read mediocre reviews.

Does anyone have any input to these cases or have any other suggestions?

I'm looking for a minimalist smart case that has a good folding stand and doesn't feel cheap. Would prefer the polycarbonate material vs faux leather but am more concerned with the build of huge case than the material right now.

Thanks!

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
Smart covers are a rip off, they cost 25 cents to make.

Also get black, any colour and have you seen how fast these get dirty? I used 3rd party cases on my pads with the same poly front with magnet, and honestly it still looks like new after a year.

Youre better off going with ghost armour for the front.

I agree and you forgot to mention that the angle is too small, it always falls off, and its damn expensive.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005

The.Dude

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2013
I agree and you forgot to mention that the angle is too small, it always falls off, and its damn expensive.

The angle works for me. I did have the issue of it falling off too easy like you said, but that was quickly resolved once I got a back she'll with an anchor lock. This is my favorite setup now, and I have several cases.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Hey team,

I'm looking for some help choosing a smart case for my iPad air.

It seems these are the only solid options:

Invellop Leatherette Smart Case
http://www.amazon.com/INVELLOP-Black-Leatherette-Cover-Generation/dp/B00FAMAQQG

Photive Smart Case
http://www.amazon.com/Photive-Light...2&sr=1-1&keywords=photive+ipad+air+smart+case

Case crown omni
http://www.amazon.com/CaseCrown-Carbon-Feature-Multi-Angle-Viewing/dp/B00BISWIHQ

I didn't include the Apple smart case because I've only read mediocre reviews.

Does anyone have any input to these cases or have any other suggestions?

I'm looking for a minimalist smart case that has a good folding stand and doesn't feel cheap. Would prefer the polycarbonate material vs faux leather but am more concerned with the build of huge case than the material right now.

Thanks!

Thanks for posting! I looked at your preferences and really liked the invellop. Using Amazon Prime I get fast shipping on the black one so I ordered it. I wanted a smart case that was thin. I have a great satchel case from SF Bags but I needed a second for traveling on vacation that would fit in my shoulder bag and the Invellop is perfect for that.

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
I respectfully disagree. I think the genuine smart covers are well made and worth the money. They don't feel like cardboard and generally work well.

Paired with a nice matte back cover like the Caudabe Shell (http://www.caudabe.com/collections/ipad-air-accessories/products/the-shell-air) and you have a nice and light setup that protects well.

Then that kind of defeats the idea of the smart cover. Just buy a full case and save the $49.99 of the smart cover and the other for the shell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.