iPad iPad Air cracks far too easily?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Macist, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Macist macrumors 6502a

Yesterday I went to my iPad Air and found the screen cracked right across, even though that unit had not suffered any knock and has always been cased. Started googling and found that spontaneous, or very easy, cracking is a problem.

When I got the Air I noticed it had a more hollow, less solid feel than previous models.

Anyone had this and did Apple accept that it just cracked and repair?

2. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I've only seen drop tests that showed the screen cracking easily, but then again, that's a drop test. Did you get the Accidental Damage coverage? If so Apple will replace your iPad or screen after you pay the $50 deductible. If you didn't get the Accidental coverage just take it to the Apple store first and see if they swap one out for you. If they won't then either pony up the cash and have them fix it or search around the web for Air glass replacement.

3. Macist thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm in the EU so I expect to be helped by Apple. I don't think breaking randomly without trauma is satisfactory or for that matter minor trauma such as small knocks. It'd be like having a shirt that tore like paper - wouldn't be allowed.

4. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

5. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

It depends on the Genius your talking to at the time. Although walking into an Apple Store detailing about the iPad cracking on its own isn't sufficient.

6. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'd like to see a pic too of this crack.

7. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I'd like to see a picture also, not implying the OP is lying but my iPads (I have almost a dozen between work and home) get a lot of use, are tossed around, used almost 6hrs a day and the only one that has anything wrong with the screen is the iPad 2 that was dropped directly on the corner.

I have an iPad 1, 2, 3, 4, mini and Air and used them since we received the 1st iPad1 per-order.
    I just don't understand how the screen would crack without some sort of physical involvement. :confused:

8. Macist thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will get a pic up ASAP.

Basically, I was the last to use it. Picked it up and notice the crack. As I used it (it was still working) another crack opened up and as I was looking for the serial number on Settings another bunch of cracks opened up.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5529081?start=45&tstart=0

I noticed several threads on the Apple discussion boards reporting similar things and people complain that, say, the unit tipped over from its Smart cover stand and cracked.

Compared to earlier iPads the Air is different. I noticed from day one a hollow feeling and a sort of slight flex in the screen but thought that was just the lightweight design.

I've had at least half a dozen glass-front Apple products and not one has ever cracked or shattered.

9. 960design macrumors 68000

I've had 2 out of a little over 400 iPad Airs arrive with a single hairline crack. I'm waiting on a shipping label from Apple right now on one. I could post a pic if it would 'help'.

10. chadamorrill macrumors 6502

My company has ordered around 80 iPad Airs and 80 Otterboxes (construction) over the past 2 months. No issues with any of them.

If I had to guess, I'd say you're holding it wrong :)
    (sorry, couldn't resist!)

11. kemperman macrumors regular

kemperman

So glad you pasted this. I've had a similar experience with my Air. Always been in a case never dropped and I'm the only one who uses it. Couldn't believe it when I found it had cracked. I went on the web to find a cheap repair solution and stumbled across the threads on Apple's forums. Just waiting for some time to go to the apple store in Stratford and hopefully get a sympathetic genius!

12. Rodster macrumors 68040

It doesn't surprise me a bit if cracked on it's own without being dropped. The glass on the Air is very thin and doesn't take a lot of downward pressure to see it flex towards the middle of the screen.

13. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Was the iPad exposed to extreme temperatures?

14. Macist thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes. The glass is MUCH more bendy than on previous models. Bendy and brittle generally don't make for good bedfellows.

Anyway, got back from the Apple store and there's no way I was getting it repaired for free.

Basically my choice is pay £249 to fix it as a swap out repair (with no guarantee it won't just happen again and be classed as 'accidental damage') or pay £110 to get it repaired by a phone repair place and void the remaining (useless) warranty.

After using iPads, iPhones, Android phones, Kindles and the like without ever having one break, let alone for no reason, what a rubbish, junky product is all I can say.

15. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

ipad 4 > ipad air.

now that they're both on display at the apple store, hold them side by side. the iPad 4 feels much much much more high end than the hollowy, plasticky feel of the air.
    Plus, I argue the Black iPad 4 looks better than the black air.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Bendy has little to do with crack resistance.

Each new version of gorilla glass (1,2,3 being the current) gets thinner (and therefore more flexible) while maintaining the same crack resistance. Advances in glass manufacturing is a fascinating topic but the physics of glass is far from the "common sense" you'd expect.

Note that I'm not discrediting your claims of spontaneous cracking, given that glasses impact resistance is entirely the play of internal stresses with external stress. It's entirely possible that in the rapid cooling process there were units that developed micro cracks that (as all glass currently does) got exacerbated with everyday temperature fluctuations resulting in the eventual internal tension overwhelming the external tension, thus resulting in a crack.

Note that from a technical standpoint the glass in the air is superior, what I think we are seeing here is a result of manufacturing error and not that the glass is inferior.

Some fascinating insight as to the physics of gorilla glass: http://www.insidescience.org/content/what-stresses-gorilla-glass-makes-it-stronger/1009

17. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I've been working in electronics since the 1970's and I have never seen glass on a piece of electronics just break itself, an outside force has to be present. I have seen LCD calculator displays go duff from air pressure (inside a plane) and I've cracked corning glassware when I put it in cold water from a hot stove.

I own an iPad Air and I'm careful not to bend it when travelling. My backpack has a pouch for it.

PS where's the pic?

18. HenryDJP, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014

HenryDJP macrumors 603

Well that's your opinion and you're entitled to it however I was just at the Apple store an hour ago and spent plenty of time comparing the Air to the iPad 4 and nothing you said matches anything I saw.

The Air is definitely lighter in weight against the iPad 4 and that's a big plus. I also pressed against the screen on both and each of them flexed equally. I could easily see the liquid from LCD moving around as I pressed on each iPad. There was no plasticky or hollow feel in my experience when comparing the Air to the iPad 4. And with the type of pressure that "I" applied towards each one of them, if the Air cracked easily it certainly would've after I was finished with it.

In terms of appearance, well that's all subjective however I am not a fan of all that extra wasted space of a bezel on the iPad 4.

19. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

That's weird, I don't think I've ever noticed distortion in the liquid crystal on any of the iPads I've owned. However I've definitely noticed it on other really cheap, plastic screened tablets and laptops. Even pressing much harder than normal on my Air didn't cause any discolouration.

I totally agree with you about the feel of the Air though, the much lighter weight more than compensates for any slightly less solid feel.

20. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I was pressing with my index finger uncomfortably hard on my iPad Air with no distortion or flexing, it simply left a more noticeable amount of smudging on the glass.

21. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

So...you're basically saying the thinner and lighter iPad Air is too thin and light? What will Apple do next!?!? :apple:

22. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

no thats not what I'm saying at all. i said the iPad air feels hollow and plasticky. it doesn't feel high end. comparable to how much more solid the iPhone 4 felt compared to the flimsier feeling iPhone 3GS.

23. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I understand what your saying I was responding tongue in cheek, but I completely disagree. The air doesn't feel hollow or plasticy at all. Are you confusing it with a Samsing tab? :p

24. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

WHY!!! Make it thinner and lighter of course. It's all Ive knows how to do these days.

Form over function!!

25. Jedi Master macrumors regular

I think Richard Pryor tried that line

I think Richard Pryor tried that line.

It might work for you :eek:

:p