iPad iPad Air crashing in all apps and applecare will not exchange the unit, help please!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by foobi, May 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foobi, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014

foobi macrumors regular

Hello everybody.

I need help.
    I have replaced my iPad Air unit 2 times because its crashing in all apps. My latest unit is also crashing BUT Apple won´t replace it because they don´t know if its hardware and software problem.

I have waited over 1 month for a solution with the latest unit, I have send over 4,000 logs to their engineers and talked with a relation manager on Apple Care for this problem, I also have contact with one senior techguy.
    I have no idea how I'm going to take me further in this matter and it feels like Apple taking advantage of me and slows down everything just to avoid having to fix anything.

I bought the unit in January and the latest replacement was in marsch in an local Apple Store.

Someone out there with the same problem or some tips for me?

Thanks.

Update: See post #19.
    Following advice from users, I've done a DFU installation.
    Result:
    Crashing in Safari.
    No apps installed, just core iOS-apps.
    No connection at all to iCloud.

Update 2:

Seems that some people think that only the Safari.app crashes but that is not the case.
    Also crashing:
    Facebook.app, Pages.app, Message.app, Mail.app, Notes.app and so on.
    The quickest way to test if the device behaves strangely is to start with Safari. After some usage begins apps crash too. Core iOS apps start crashing even if no third party applications are installed. And it does not matter if you are connected to wifi, 3G/4G or with flight mode.

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Based on your reply in another thread my tip for you would be to stop screaming at people.

3. foobi thread starter macrumors regular

I have not done it but I promise that you too would think so if you have been asked about it 10 times. Especially from the same person.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

How often do these app crashes happen?

In my experience, the Air does tend to crash more often than previous iPads. I have some games that crash quite often. But when I restart, I can just pick up from where I was before they crashed.

So I'd say a few crashes a day is normal for an iPad Air. If you are getting more than one crash an hour, that could be a hardware problem.

5. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

Rudeness gets you nowhere with customer service.

What apps are crashing? Is the OS itself crashing? Have you tried a DFU restore?

6. foobi thread starter macrumors regular

Depends on which app it is but Safari or Pages crashes to homescreen more than twice an hour under normal use and one tab running in safari.

Some apps crashes to homescreen and sometimes the unit reboot itself.

----------

I know.

Apps thats crashes everyday: Safari, Pages, iMessage, Youtube.app, Netflix, Notes.
    Not everyday: All kind of small games, no big or heavy powered games, other Apple apps like iPhoto and iMovie.

Crashes sometimes to homescreen and sometimes rebooting.

Yes I have tried DFU restore.

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Do a DFU install but no restore. Resync your apps and data in from iCloud.

8. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I wouldn't scream at any employee that is trying to help me. That isn't the way to get results. Be an adult about it. You'll get further that way.

9. foobi thread starter macrumors regular

Again, I have not screamed at anyone so please send a PM if you want to continue discussing how to be an adult.

----------

I will try it tonight. Thanks for the tip. I think the Apple Care already have tried it but I can give it a try. Clean install is already done/tried via iTunes, like 10 times now hehe...

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

11. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

Go through the steps of how exactly you're restoring. You want a totally clean install, and as your problem seems to be persisting despite restores, I'm guessing you may not be getting that.

12. ZipZap macrumors 601

So there is something odd here. A crashing iPad that is exchanged and still crashes.

I would remove all the Apps and run only with the CORE IOS applications that cannot be removed.

If the crashing ends, then add apps back one at a time until you find the offending app.

This assumes you are not jailbroken or adding self developed apps. If you are, then you're on your own…and should not expect a resolution form Apple.

13. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

1. What version of ios7 are you on? Upgrade to ios 7.1.1. That fixed a lot of crashing in safari for me.

2. What "crashing" are you referring to? Does the ipad do a full restart, a soft restart, or is an app just crashing (i.e. exits app and goes back to homescreen)?

3. If it is just an app crashing, it could be the app itself and not the ipad.

4. If upgrading to ios 7.1.1 + a DFU restore doesn't help, then it may be the ipad itself. Although it seems unlikely. I would also just try a clean restore instead of restoring all your previous data.

14. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Did you update ur OS? How about plugging it into a computer and restoring it?

15. HenryDJP macrumors 603

OP you have actually wiped the iPad and used it without installing anything other than Apple apps? I'm asking this because it's possible that one of your apps is causing consistent crashing. This shouldn't be happening especially after you had 2 exchanges. Also even under normal circumstances you should barely get a crash even once a week. I hardly get crashes and I use my iPad for work.

I will say this one thing though, there was a time I had problems with every iWork app crashing when I tried to use the Help Menu. It crashed every time with no apologies. I went to the Apple store and saw none of theirs were doing this. I went home and wiped my iPad and did an iCloud restore. Same problem with iWork, it kept crashing upon opening the Help Menu. This time I decided to completely wipe the iPad and install iWork first. I had zero problems. I did everything I could to crash iWork and it just wouldn't. Then I installed each app following and checked iWork after each app install.
    I've had no issues since then. I did leave out a couple of apps because there were "nothing" apps that had no relevance to me. So it was either those "nothing" apps that may have been corrupted or I had a corrupt install on my iCloud backups. Either way there's no more issues.

16. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

A few crashes a day is certainly NOT normal at all. Lots of factors are in the mix here. I play games and use my Air all day with no crashes. I don't even have to deal with any safari problems. Must be lucky.

I'd think apple does have to make this right though. They should give the OP a new device if it's not working as designed.

17. foobi thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply. After the last replacement in the store I got home and it started crashing before I even had time to download any apps. So the iPad crashes with core iOS apps only too.
    The iPad was not connected to iCloud yet then.

1: Yes. The iPad running the latest iOS.
    7.1.1 fixed safari crashing for my other iPad Air too but this unit that we are talking about lives its own life..

2: Most often it crashes back to the homescreen (exits the app) but sometimes it also do the springboard reboot (apple logo displayed)

3: Yes ofc, but not if its core iOS apps and other well developed apps, it works fine on my other ipad air.

4: I will try this today. Thanks :)

Yes the iPad has always been updated to the latest iOS. And it has been restored and set up as new both by me and Apple Care.

Thanks for your reply and story about iWork. I will try this one more time, with DFU install and see how the iPad reacts.
    But the iPad started crashing before I even had downloaded any apps, and there was no connection to icloud in any way then.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

So all three iPad have done the same thing?

Sounds fishy to me.

Apple does not refuse to replace defective equipment so .........

19. foobi thread starter macrumors regular

Have now done a DFU install. Describes the steps below, tell me if I'm doing something wrong.

Turns the iPad in DFU mode (followed this: http://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-put-iphone-into-dfu-mode/)

iTunes recognize this and ask me to restore.
    Installing the latest iOS build (7.1.1)
    Setting up iPad as new, Skipping everything related to iCloud.
    No apps are installed, just core iOS.
    Start browsing with Safari and the iPad crashes (exit the safari app and goes back to homescreen).

----------

The original one crashed, mostly springboard reboots and exit app crashes. So called: Backboardd, kbd and LowMemory crashes.
    The second was used 1 day because the SIM-card reader didn´t work.
    The third (this) crashes, most of the times back to the home screen. LowMemory, kbd and not so often Backboardd crashes.

20. Felasco Guest

And so we see evidence that iPad crashing is not limited to the OP.

Unless the sales pages clearly disclaim that crashing is a normal part of iPad use, then any crashing of any kind is Apple's fault, and Apple should respond to complaints of this kind with a quick refund or replacement, at the user's choice.

The OP was a good sport in being willing to invest lots of his time in to giving iPad a second and then third try. He's probably put more labor in to his iPad than he has money. At this point he's gone above and beyond the call of duty and should be immediately issued a full refund.

If he doesn't get the refund he should face up to the fact that he's been screwed by Apple, take the loss, get on with his life, and turn to other vendors for his future purchases.

By doing so he would be helping to protect the rest of us from having the same experience. So let's not jump down his throat about it, eh?

21. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I think everyone suffered from what OP suffered from before ios7.1? There was some update that fixed Safari crashing for most, myself included. It's odd that his still does it.

Dunno, except that if the restore doesn't work, take it back to apple. if the genius bar refuses, you can email tim cook and they will direct you to some higher up help.

Apple won't leave it's users out to dry. But they also won't give a refund. Their solution is replacements until the problem is fixed.

22. Felasco, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014

Felasco Guest

Replacements could be an adequate solution, if Apple is willing to compensate the user for all the time they invest in helping to diagnose the problem, drive the product back and forth to the Apple store, communicate with Apple employees about the issue and so on.

If Apple is not willing to compensate customers for their lost time, or issue a refund, they are leaving those users high and dry.

The problem of course is that compensating the customer as I suggest could be rather expensive, even at minimum wage, and so Apple shifts those costs of resolving the issue on to the buyer.

Thus the customer is forced to work for Apple, resolving Apple's problems, for free. That is their reward for deciding to support Apple with their hard earned money.

23. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

What site? I'll try on my ipad to try and reproduce.

24. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I have found that Apple usually bends over backwards to help any customer who has a problem with their device.

I suspect, from reading this thread, that this user got rather nasty at the store and after replacing his device THREE TIMES, they are done with him. There has to be limits and Apple can not be responsible for every crash on their iPad. Some sites are so unstable that they can and will cause problems.

25. Felasco Guest

Where is your evidence the user got nasty? If you have no evidence, why are you accusing a fellow Mac user of bad manners when he has displayed none in this thread?

If the device still doesn't work, why is Apple done with him?

Please show us where on the iPad sales pages it explains that crashes should be expected as a normal part of the iPad experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.