Carrier iPad Air IMEI?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by antifocus, Mar 8, 2014.

1. antifocus macrumors newbie

Hi,

I recently purchased a iPad air with 4G on ebay, and it looks good. Yesterday I plugged in a new T-Mobile sim card trying to take advantage of their free 200MB data plan, but it didn't work, it just said no current data pass.
    So I went to a T-mobile store today and tried to figure it out. The store manager couldn't be much helpful and he asked me to call t-mobile for support.
    Long story short after being redirected multiple times I was told my Air's IMEI doesn't qualify for the free data plan and I should check my IMEI again with the seller.
    The IMEI I see in iOS is 3588XXX something, but the IMEI I see in iTunes is 0132XXXX something. I checked both on imei.info and they are not showing iPad Air. Is there a possibility that the IMEI was tampered? But why bother?
    Thanks, all this is quite frustrating for me..

----------

BTW the seller told me it was a replacement unit from Apple, also it is with Sprint. I've just looked up online, could that be a problem?

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

4. antifocus thread starter macrumors newbie

So....I just inserted the Sprint Sim card that came with the iPad back in, thinking what the heck I might just try it, and found out there is an account linked to this iPad...with 6GB data a month...:eek:
    Sprint CS also confirmed to me that there is an account linked to it and I have to lift it before I can use T-Mobile...
    The account is definitely somebody else's....Should I contact the seller?:D

5. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Even though there is a current Sprint account tied to that SIM, you should be able to put in an unactivated T-Mobile SIM and get the free 200MB each month.

Put the T-mobile SIM in, power off the iPad, and then turn it back on. Turn off Wi-Fi go to settings cellular data and view account. You should then be able to set up your account.

6. antifocus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, but I already did that several times.
    Like I said the store manager couldn't figure out what was wrong and I had to contact Tmobile to be told that something was wrong with the IMEI.
    I asked the seller to cancel the account on my iPad, waiting response...

7. EDH667, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014

EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

All iPad Air's are carrier unlocked, so there shouldn't be anything about the SPRINT record of the IMEI affecting a T-Mobile SIM card short of putting the IMEI on a blacklist for all carriers. Have you tried an AT&T SIM to see if you get a signal? Possibly the T-Mobile SIM is bad.

8. antifocus thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, I don't think my T-Mobile sim is bad, also I can use the Sprint sim that came with the iPad so I don't think the IMEI is blacklisted by carriers.
    Anyway I am still waiting for the seller to untie the account to my iPad. I shall see what is going to happen then.
    Thanks.