iPad Air just got old, SplitView only available on the iPad Air 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by technofunky, Jun 8, 2015.

1. technofunky, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015

technofunky macrumors member

technofunky

So at the WWDC they demo'd Splitview. But unfortunately it wont be supported by iPad Air. So how many of the people out there would be upgrading to Air 3 ?

2. Kendo macrumors 68000

It sucks for older iPad users but multi-tasking really does put a strain on system resources since you are running mutliple apps instead of one. What I want to know is what the naysayers have to say about their claims on the lack of RAM not being an issue on the iPad Air 1.

3. maplingstorie macrumors 6502

1GB is enough they say.. Apple chose not support iPad Air .. /s

4. max2 macrumors 68000

5. Che Castro macrumors 603

6. canman4PM macrumors 6502

canman4PM

Pity. I'm writing this on an Air 128GB, LTE/Wifi. It cost a grand. I'm not about to update. Not for quite a few years.

7. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

This is awesome news. So I guess the 2gig ram WAS there for a reason.

8. Sixcranker macrumors member

Sixcranker

I personally don't want to give half the real estate up on my iPad Air for two programs. Just my two cents...

9. cdm283813 macrumors 6502

I returned a retina iPad mini (un-opened) once they confirmed that it only had 1gig of ram mid delivery. Always trust your gut.

All that hype wasted on the 32bit vs 64bit argument. At the end of the day 2gig > 64bit. The support given to the iPad Air 2 is proof in the pudding. 1gig just does not cut it.

10. cdm283813 macrumors 6502

I actually like browsing the internet while listening to youtube on my computer. I will now be able to do that on my iPad Air 2. There are many use case scenarios.
    And it's not only "half the real estate". The windows are re-sizable and video's can pop out. And best of all your not forced to use it.

11. coops macrumors regular

If you're only listening to youtube, you can already do that while web surfing or whatever else ( on my ipad air '1' and no doubt on an ipad mini also) - at least on the Tubex youtube app, can't speak for the offical youtube app as i don't use it.

Go to settings in Tubex and enable background video.

12. melendezest macrumors 68000

melendezest

I'm glad I resisted that urge to stay in the "walled garden". I need my devices to have legs.

I used to trust Apple because they were the best. Now I'm not so sure.

My next tablet will be a Surface. Why? Because I can (reasonably) know I'll be able to install whatever I want on it, like I can on my MBP (so far), with no artificial limitations. Windows is and always will be more flexible (hardware-wise). That is the only way I'll know my device will have legs.

At least Apple devices keep their value, so if I was in your position I'd sell the Air and get something with nice gams. ;)

13. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

I was kind of expecting this. As an iPad Air user for over a year it is abundantly clear to me now that there should have been 2gb of ram in this thing.

That being said I'll probably still try to wait to upgrade until there is another iPad Air 2 type of release (aka the next big leap forward in performance). I've kind of given up on using my iPad for laptop type activities where split screen multitasking would come in handy. I use it mostly for reading (lots of technical material). I'm really just waiting for active stylus support.

14. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Surface?! Good luck with that. As a tablet, the Surface makes a pretty poor one.

15. headsh0t95, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015

headsh0t95 macrumors regular

Just jailbreak it and enable it in a plist file. Only risk is that you might have more crashes due to being low on RAM.

16. Che Castro macrumors 603

Goodbye

17. melendezest macrumors 68000

melendezest

Already been gone. Just sad (a little) Apple still doesn't want me back.

18. max2 macrumors 68000

Good idea will have try that :)

19. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

So you actually haven't lost any functionality due to the exclusivity of multiwindow in the iPad Air 2. Your strong comments in various threads on the subject indicate that you are beyond "just a little sad".

20. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

The one thing I can't stand about my mini 2 -- the reloading of apps when switching to another and then back and the reloading of Safari tabs. Now no splitview multitasking - starting to look like an upgrade in the fall for me. Some other posters have it right -- it's all about the ram.

21. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

How's that 1GB of RAM working out for you ?

Some people have been saying this was going to be a headache for awhile now. Looks like they were right.

22. iPadCary macrumors 6502a

iPadCary

You should, because it's now obsolete.
    Sell it on Gazelle, get most of your money back & put that towards an Air 3.

23. DanGoh macrumors 6502

DanGoh

I wonder if "SplitView" is only possible with Apple's apps (iMessage, Safari, Notes, Pages, Music, etc.) or if third-party developers can make a "SplitView" enabled app available to work.......

24. malih macrumors member

malih

I'm okay with Slide Over, that's at least some form of multi tasking, I never really liked using apps like Twitter fullscreen, it should have been an app you Slide Over and dismiss from the start.

25. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I'm pretty sure that SplitView is at the system level not the app level.