Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

technofunky

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2011
India
So at the WWDC they demo'd Splitview. But unfortunately it wont be supported by iPad Air. So how many of the people out there would be upgrading to Air 3 ?

Last edited:
Reactions: toille4

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
It sucks for older iPad users but multi-tasking really does put a strain on system resources since you are running mutliple apps instead of one. What I want to know is what the naysayers have to say about their claims on the lack of RAM not being an issue on the iPad Air 1.

cdm283813

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2015
I returned a retina iPad mini (un-opened) once they confirmed that it only had 1gig of ram mid delivery. Always trust your gut.

All that hype wasted on the 32bit vs 64bit argument. At the end of the day 2gig > 64bit. The support given to the iPad Air 2 is proof in the pudding. 1gig just does not cut it.

cdm283813

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2015
I personally don't want to give half the real estate up on my iPad Air for two programs. Just my two cents...

I actually like browsing the internet while listening to youtube on my computer. I will now be able to do that on my iPad Air 2. There are many use case scenarios.
And it's not only "half the real estate". The windows are re-sizable and video's can pop out. And best of all your not forced to use it.

coops

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
I actually like browsing the internet while listening to youtube on my computer. I will now be able to do that on my iPad Air 2. There are many use case scenarios.
And it's not only "half the real estate". The windows are re-sizable and video's can pop out. And best of all your not forced to use it.

If you're only listening to youtube, you can already do that while web surfing or whatever else ( on my ipad air '1' and no doubt on an ipad mini also) - at least on the Tubex youtube app, can't speak for the offical youtube app as i don't use it.

Go to settings in Tubex and enable background video.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Pity. I'm writing this on an Air 128GB, LTE/Wifi. It cost a grand. I'm not about to update. Not for quite a few years.

I'm glad I resisted that urge to stay in the "walled garden". I need my devices to have legs.

I used to trust Apple because they were the best. Now I'm not so sure.

My next tablet will be a Surface. Why? Because I can (reasonably) know I'll be able to install whatever I want on it, like I can on my MBP (so far), with no artificial limitations. Windows is and always will be more flexible (hardware-wise). That is the only way I'll know my device will have legs.

At least Apple devices keep their value, so if I was in your position I'd sell the Air and get something with nice gams. ;)

Reactions: AleXXXa

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I was kind of expecting this. As an iPad Air user for over a year it is abundantly clear to me now that there should have been 2gb of ram in this thing.

That being said I'll probably still try to wait to upgrade until there is another iPad Air 2 type of release (aka the next big leap forward in performance). I've kind of given up on using my iPad for laptop type activities where split screen multitasking would come in handy. I use it mostly for reading (lots of technical material). I'm really just waiting for active stylus support.

Reactions: AleXXXa

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I'm glad I resisted that urge to stay in the "walled garden". I need my devices to have legs.

My next tablet will be a Surface. Why? Because I can (reasonably) know I'll be able to install whatever I want on it, like I can on my MBP (so far), with no artificial limitations. Windows is and always will be more flexible (hardware-wise). That is the only way I'll know my device will have legs.

At least Apple devices keep their value, so if I was in your position I'd sell the Air and get something with nice gams. ;)
Surface?! Good luck with that. As a tablet, the Surface makes a pretty poor one.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009

Goodbye

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
The one thing I can't stand about my mini 2 -- the reloading of apps when switching to another and then back and the reloading of Safari tabs. Now no splitview multitasking - starting to look like an upgrade in the fall for me. Some other posters have it right -- it's all about the ram.

DanGoh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2014
I wonder if "SplitView" is only possible with Apple's apps (iMessage, Safari, Notes, Pages, Music, etc.) or if third-party developers can make a "SplitView" enabled app available to work.......

malih

macrumors member
May 11, 2013
I'm okay with Slide Over, that's at least some form of multi tasking, I never really liked using apps like Twitter fullscreen, it should have been an app you Slide Over and dismiss from the start.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I wonder if "SplitView" is only possible with Apple's apps (iMessage, Safari, Notes, Pages, Music, etc.) or if third-party developers can make a "SplitView" enabled app available to work.......
I'm pretty sure that SplitView is at the system level not the app level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.