iPad iPad Air Magnets - Smart Cover causes clicking noises

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NewYorkRanger, Nov 16, 2013.

1. NewYorkRanger, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

NewYorkRanger macrumors regular

NewYorkRanger

Hi all,

Having an issue with my iPad Air, specifically the magnet on the back that holds the Smart Cover in place.

In the last few days, the back magnet is making a clicking noise right before it attaches - it is when I align the Smart Cover to the back of the ipad, on the left hand side if you flip the ipad over - not the edge it is always connected to.

Just for the record, the sound is NOT the sound of the Smart Cover simply hitting the ipad - I can simply open and close the last edge of the Smart Cover when it is against the back and simply let it float over close enough and it makes a sound.

Even if I go really lightly and attach it, it makes a audible clicking sound - like pushing a piece of metal in and out. I even tried taking The other edge of the Smart Cover (the horizontal magnet edge) and tried running it along the edge on the back on the side with the buttons and it makes a sounds as well.

Can anyone else test this and see if this is normal?

...and no, this is NOT the locking click sound driven by the software.

2. cababah macrumors 68000

I just tested it. I don't hear anything. I did read something about some iPad Airs come with misaligned magnets that cause the Smart Cover to not line up properly with the screen but that is a separate issue. You might have a loose magnet or something :confused:

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Silly question, but I'll ask it just to be absolutely sure: Are you sure it isn't this sound that you're hearing?

4. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

I think you're mistaken - OP said the sound was visible, not audible...

5. wxman2003 Suspended

Good one! :D

6. NewYorkRanger thread starter macrumors regular

NewYorkRanger

No, that isn't it, obviously.

7. ZmajjamZ macrumors newbie

Yes! I had the exact same issue.

Everytime the magnets on the smart cover touched the right hand side of the screen (front or back) a clicking noise could be heard. You could even feel the click through the casing.

I took mine back to the Apple store and they replaced it saying they haven't come across this yet.

Only thing that is concerning is that the replacement iPad Air I have also makes a similar but much more subtle clicking noise at the back - this I wouldn't have noticed had it not been an issue before.

I took the new one back to the store and they tried my smart cover with a display model and the faint click on the lower right hand back side of the screen happened with it. They also tried with one of their smart covers on the display model and it happened again. We agreed to see how it goes and any problems for me to come back.

I've been trawling the net trying to see if anyone else has experienced the same thing.

I'd suggest taking it back to an apple store for replacement. I'm not sure how I feel about it still clicking though.

8. NewYorkRanger thread starter macrumors regular

NewYorkRanger

Thanks!

I'll book an appointment with the Apple Store and see what they say.

9. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

I think the magnets inside can somewhat move a bit and therefore the click noise. My iPad Air has this phenomenon too, but I find it to be very useful, since when I flip the smart cover to the back, the magnet 'clicks' and my smart cover is attached to the back firmly. When it goes back to the front and covers the screen, 'click' and it's attached to the front again.

10. cababah macrumors 68000

I'm pretty sure you should not be hearing any sound from the magnets themselves...I'd get it swapped out.

11. cababah macrumors 68000

Can anyone capture this in a video? I'm curious to hear what it sounds like.

12. jomirrivera macrumors 6502

13. cababah, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013

cababah macrumors 68000

That ain't right. I'd go to an Apple store and show it to a Genius and compare it to the floor models. My Air does not make those sounds.

14. jomirrivera macrumors 6502

Yeah, I think I will call apple because we dont have apple stores here in PR

15. ZmajjamZ macrumors newbie

That's exactly what was happening with mine. Apparently it isn't a known issue with Apple... yet.

I had mine replaced when I went to the Genius Bar as they didn't know what was causing it.

16. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

I thought this was by design but actually it seems to be a flaw... but this flaw keeps my Smart Cover attached on the back of my iPad... I wish the magnet just don't move to another place.. if it happens I will be bringing my iPad for an exchange. But unluckily for the Apple Store in my country, replacement units only have 90 days of warranty.

17. JediAlejandro macrumors member

JediAlejandro

No, the Smart Cover does magnetically connect to the back as we'll, if you line it up correctly, just shouldn't make a sound. I've had two diffrent Airs (first one replaced because of clicking sounds coming from within the device) and it connects to the back on both. :)

18. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Before the "click" the Smart Cover would attach to the back only loosely, not firmly, but after the click, it attaches to the back rather firmly as if it's on the front. I think that's because the magnets in the iPad moved closer to the back.

19. JediAlejandro macrumors member

JediAlejandro

Ahh ok, I understand. I would take it back then and get it exchanged know while you can. You don't want those magnets messing up any of the internals after your warranty is up!

20. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Mine is making the clicking sound whenever the cover is opened or closed. I have the smart case.

21. Saturn007 macrumors 6502

Say. gang, take any two magnets anywhere in the world… bring them close together…when they connect, they make a snap-shut, click sound.

Plus, many times with audio stuff, when someone reports that theirs doesn't have it--i.e., they don't hear it-- it's a hearing sensitivity issue. Many of us hear things much better than others do, especially at certain frequencies.

With a thinner case, the plop-click noise would be more noticeable.

Of course, if you've had smart covers before and they make no sound and this does… well, all bets are off and I withdraw my remarks! :)

22. Laai macrumors member

I would say you are wrong. I've already had my iPad Air exchanged because of this issue, and the new iPad Air is experiencing the same problem (comes up after about a month of use).

The thing is, when you have this issue, you can also physically feel the magnet on the inside of the iPad aligning into/out of place. My assumption is, that the magnets' securing mechanism is faulty, ergo the magnets seem to become loose over time.

Furthermore, your statement would be true if the magnets in the smart cover and the iPad would touch directly, which they do not. The magnets within the Smart Cover are obviously covered by the soft padding, ergo the "clicking" sound when 2 magnets collide would only be the sound of the padding hitting on the iPads aluminum - and that is a soft sound, not a clicking one.

23. Melyris macrumors newbie

Same issue here.

I've got my iPad Air since mid december and it started making the magnet-moving noise last week, whenever I attach the smart cover to the front or back alternatively…

Does anyone had it recently replaced and still got the noise ? I'm wondering if it's worth my time going to an Apple Store to get it replaced if the new one is also clicking…

Basically my point is : does anyone know if Apple has solved the problem yet ?

Thanks in advance

Melyris

24. Saturn007 macrumors 6502

Say, I just took down a couple of refrigerator magnets. Snap 'em together-- click sound. Put a sheet or two of paper between 'em-- click sound. Put more paper, the magnetic connection is weaker but, in that case, just as you say, even if they grab-- NO sound.

One consideration on all this.

Does the click sound vary depending upon the volume you have the iPad set for?

My click sound varies. It's part of the iOS to make a sound when the cover is opened or shut. If the volume is low or at zero, no click. If the volume is all the way up-- very obvious click sound. That particular sound has nothing to do with loose magnets or the magnets themselves.

Have you tried that?

What happens when you gently shake the iPad? Do you hear a rattling noise?

25. Naramis macrumors member

It's not the iOS click, it's a physical click on the iPad chassis.

I have it too.. doesn't bother me much for now. It seems as if the magnet moves to the front of the iPad when I close the Smart Cover, and moves to the back when I open it, causing the clicking sound. As someone else said, this "problem" also means that my Smart Cover sticks to the back of the iPad..

I just hope this doesn't cause further problems later on, although I suppose warranty would cover that..