Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iFrancis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2013
Hello all! hope everyone is well.

So yesterday i bought the iPad Air and it should be delivered tomorrow, it is my first Apple product! so what should i expect? and tips for me?.

I am looking forward to using the wide selection of apps but what are the must have apps for the iPad?

Thanks.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013

So yesterday i bought the iPad Air and it should be delivered tomorrow, it is my first Apple product! so what should i expect? and tips for me?.

I am looking forward to using the wide selection of apps but what are the must have apps for the iPad?

Thanks.

Get away from this website!

Bunch of whiners here will ruin your enjoyment of your new device.

Enjoy!

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
Well congrats!

The iPad is an entry device to harder-devices :D First thing you'll know the iPad won't be enough and you'll want to migrate your other everyday digital needs.

Moakesy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
UK
You don't say what country you're in, so some of my recommendations wouldn't apply unless you are in the UK. Generally speaking...

- The Apple apps (iMovie, Pages, Numbers etc) are good
- I really like Units...for converting metric to imperial, money exchange rates etc
- Facebook
- Google Maps is still my mapping app of choice
- Calculator as well

Most of the others are UK specific....SkyTV, National Rail, Tube Map and the like.

It really depends what you're in to....whatever you like, someone has made an app for it.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
iPad Air, my first Apple product!

I recommend getting a case before you recurve the iPad. Maybe even a screen protector.
Download apps that have guides to iOS 7 for iPad or get a book like this one:
My iPad (covers iOS 7 on iPad Air, iPad 3rd/4th generation, iPad2, and iPad mini) (6th Edition)
http://amzn.com/078975102X
Down the iWork apps that you get for free with buying a new iOS device.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
Expect Safari to crash a lot.

Got my iPad in black at Walmart on Thursday and I have had not one crash with safari I only. Use one tab and safari been working vary well for me may be the iPad you guys get at apple are all bad ones

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Got my iPad in black at Walmart on Thursday and I have had not one crash with safari I only. Use one tab and safari been working vary well for me may be the iPad you guys get at apple are all bad ones

If you use only one tab, that is probably why you haven't experienced any crashes!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Expect Safari to crash a lot.
Do you own an iPad Air or are you just running around reading one lousy web forum of complaints and then spreading your good cheer?

Get away from this website!

Bunch of whiners here will ruin your enjoyment of your new device.

Enjoy!

For once I have to agree with you.

OP: Enjoy the iPad. As with many, this is likely a gateway to other Apple devices.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
Really great device, and you will love it.

I am a strong proponent of a good screen protector and case. The iPad by nature of its portability, increases the risks of falls and nicks and scratches.

Update the forum when you receive your device and your first impressions.

jacobss

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
Netherlands
Do you own an iPad Air or are you just running around reading one lousy web forum of complaints and then spreading your good cheer?

I returned my iPad Air due Safari crashing too much, web browsing was a big reason for me to buy the iPad, but Safari crashing that much is just not acceptable. Other than that, I liked the iPad Air.

If you use only one tab, that is probably why you haven't experienced any crashes!
I always have at least 4 tabs open in Safari, if you only use one I can see why it won't crash.

dannynjoni

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2010
Go Naked!

I was going to recommend that you DON'T get any sort of case - at least not one that covers your sexy new toy ;). Maybe a Apple Smart Cover for the front - they do protect (and clean) the screen and make a great stand for the countertop. You can easily remove this (it attaches with magnets) for reading.

Enjoy the light and thin form factor. You deserve it!

APPS:

USA Today
New York Times
Get some magazines
Get some books to read in iBooks
Charlie Brown Christmas from the app store
All of the free Apple apps are excellent. (LOVE iMovie and iPhoto but I'm a shutterbug. I have the old camera kit with lightning adapter and it works great.)
Facebook

I love my new iPad Air more with each passing day. The Safari thing will be worked out. Apple will always improve such things.

Have fun.

Last edited:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Back it up. Regularly.

Many folks have made the mistake of not doing this and lost tons of stuff.

Impossible question to answer. What is must have depends on the user. Some folks just use their iPad as a fancy ereader so iBooks etc are must have. Some use it as a sketchbook so something like Paper is must have.

I would say get the freebies from Apple as something to start with. In iBooks get the iPad user guide and read it several times.

Then to dip your toes in, try some popular freebies like Paper, Flipboard, Temple Run. Check out the top charts for other ideas.

----------

I typically have at least ten tabs open all the time, no issues. It crashes perhaps once or twice a week, if that. And that's with a good 3-4 hours of use every day.

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I typically have at least ten tabs open all the time, no issues. It crashes perhaps once or twice a week, if that. And that's with a good 3-4 hours of use every day.

I have anywhere from 3~10 tabs open at a time, and I've been getting about one crash a day. Doesn't really bother me much, since I can just reopen Safari and all the tabs are just there. But it does crash, whereas earlier iPads almost never did.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR iPAD :)

Expect a fluid, beautiful experience that will quickly make you realize that "an iPad isn't enough. I need more Apple products."

Kind of joking, but not really. This is super exciting for you. A couple of fun/good apps/games? Temple Run 2, Oceanhorn, Netflix (free trial if you aren't subbed), Flixster (if you're a movie goer)... Not a lot of productivity apps in there. Just my daily rotation. :p

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
If you enjoy browsing these forums, I recommend downloading tapatalk.

If you buy stuff on Amazon, I recommend downloading the Amazon App as I do use it a lot to recommend products here on macrumors.

If you want a free paid apps, download AppsGoneFree.

Falldown! 2 is a very fun fast pace game.

Buy reeder 2 to view all your RSS feeds.

Weekly Ads, to view your weekly store adds.

Facebook and YouTube.

----------

A few accessories I recommend:
Satechi R1 Arm Hinge Holder Stand for Kindle Fire, iPad, iPad 2, ASUS Eee Pad Transformer, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Galaxy 10.1, ViewSonic gTablet, BlackBerry Playbook, HTC Flyer
http://amzn.com/B004X2TJ1W

Poetic GraphGrip Silicone Case for Apple iPad Air (5th Generation iPad) Black (3 Year Manufacturer Warranty From Poetic)
http://amzn.com/B00CW1NBXI

Tech Armor Apple iPad Air (Generation 5) Premium High Definition (HD) Clear Screen Protector with Lifetime Replacement Warranty [2-PACK] - Retail Packaging
http://amzn.com/B00EL94Z4I

Currently using all of these.

Rockies

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2011

Thanks.

Go to Apple.com and sign up for an IPad Class at your local Apple Store. It is free and very informative.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY

That's not true for every user whatsoever. I do believe there is an issue with safari that does have to be addressed by apple but this insinuation that every iPad air on earth crashes with two safari tabs is just silly. C'mon.....

To the OP, you will enjoy your new iPad. Expect it to be very light, easy to handle, and very fast! You'll end up using it for things you didn't plan on. :)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
That's not true for every user whatsoever. I do believe there is an issue with safari that does have to be addressed by apple but this insinuation that every iPad air on earth crashes with two safari tabs is just silly. C'mon.....

I didn't mean to imply that. The poster i was responding to was saying he had experienced no crashes, then admitted he only had one tab open. So he was giving us irrelevant data, because multiple tabs being open seems to be a minimal condition before Safari crashes. My experiences seem to indicate that crashes tend to happen when I have at least 4-5 tabs open, AND I do something weird, like land on a page that tries to open a pop-up ad.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I didn't mean to imply that. The poster i was responding to was saying he had experienced no crashes, then admitted he only had one tab open. So he was giving us irrelevant data, because multiple tabs being open seems to be a minimal condition before Safari crashes. My experiences seem to indicate that crashes tend to happen when I have at least 4-5 tabs open, AND I do something weird, like land on a page that tries to open a pop-up ad.

That's cool. There certainly IS a problem since enough people do shave this problem. safari right now is in poor nic, that's for sure.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I can't speak for what your experience will be or for others but the wife and I both have one. We love them the build quality of our devices are what we would consider perfect. They are fast, light, and have great battery life. Its awesome.

SenorDD

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013

This happens on all iOS devices, not just the ipad Air. It's an iOS7 issue. The blue screen however only happens on devices with the new 64 bit processor

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA

Thanks.

I recommend an iSmooth screen protector from Amazon, and a decent case to protect your new device. Outside of the safari crash issue, you'll LOVE it! Make sure you get the iWork apps if not already preloaded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.