iPad iPad Air - one dead pixel, would you return it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kace123, Nov 4, 2013.

1. kace123 macrumors newbie

Hi there first time poster here, long time reader. Just sold my iPad 4 and purchased a 64 GB iPad Air on Friday. Got home with it and there is a tiny nick on the back surface. This must have happened during manufacturing. There is also a "dead" pixel in the lower right when holding portrait. The pixel is black so I don't think it is a "stuck" pixel. When holding landscape you can't see it because the battery percentage covers it. Would you return it/exchange it for one dead pixel? I'm kind of torn over whether it is worth it. The display to my eyes seems fine beyond that I would hate to exchange it and get a set of new problems/unknowns.
    Thanks for any opinions or thoughts on the matter.

2. C5Longhorn macrumors regular

I probably would because it would bug me and you spent a lot of money on the iPad.

Rick

3. Markyyy macrumors regular

I have a black bit of dust beneath my glass, over the LCD. It's the size of 2 or 3 pixels, I'm contacting apple about it to see what they say. It's annoying that it's there, but I think you have to be sensible at some point and realise it's so so minor and that it's not the end of the world. If apple are good about it and offer me a fix, I'll tell them I'll think about it. Thing is, my display is perfect. I don't want to get a replacement that will have no dust but has the grey shadowy patch down the LCD instead, or dead pixels.

4. jlp2979 macrumors 6502

It's a tough call. I posted in another thread that I've tried 4 Airs and all have had at least 1 dead pixel. My current one has 2 but they are in extreme top and side parts of the screen so I will never see them under normal use. If you exchange it you may get one that is worse.

5. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

A little dust I wouldn't even waste my time, even a slightly yellow screen I had with my iPad 3 I didn't bother relaxing but a dead pixel on a brand new device,yeah I would swap it out.

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

If it's worthy of a post, it's worthy of a return. Get what you want/paid for.

7. edhchoe macrumors 6502

It would bother me until the day I sold it. I would go get it exchanged.

8. terrywfoster macrumors regular

I would and have on previous versions of the iPad.

9. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

A mark on the back and a bad pixel? No question... exchange it.

10. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

Id definitely return it. Any dead pixels is an automatic return in my opinion. Even the nick on the back is enough but I understand people who don't care about the back especially if the screen is perfect.

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Definitely.

1. It's a $500+ device with Apple getting a good profit margin on it.

2. Even if it doesn't bother you it will bother prospective buyers when you go to sell and that will cost you.

12. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

You owe it to Apple to return it and allow them to give you a device that is not defective.

13. Bokes macrumors 6502

sounds like it's tucked away on the side of the screen....?
    tough call if you do not have any shadows or yellow/pink issues.
    That said once you notice a dead pixel it's all you'll ever see.

I would most likely take it back- knowing full well I'm swirling into the OCD vortex.

14. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Im swirling into ocd not knowing if this guy returned it for a unit without manufacturing defects.

15. ntnwwnet macrumors 6502

ntnwwnet

My first 2 Airs had a single dead pixel on each. My third did not.

16. kace123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for the replies it's nice to hear some rational thinking about it. In one regard it is so small that you have to look for it; but like others have said once you notice it that is all you see. However I did pay over $700 for this unit and I believe I should have the option to exchange it if I am not entirely satisfied.

The issue is I live 2.5 hrs away from the apple store and won't be back until day 14 of my return window. Hopefully they will have my model in stock for a swap. If they do I will attempt an exchange and hope for the best. It might be prudent of me to inspect it in the store, however with their lighting I'm not so sure I will get the best inspection.

Does anyone with experience know if I have to phone ahead to book an appointment or can I just walk in with my iPad?

17. tehBrad macrumors regular

i know you already made your mind, but to add to your reasoning

my friend tried to trade in an iPhone with a dead pixel (he didn't know) to a trade-in company and was denied so just another reason to take it back in

18. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes, an appointment is a good idea. You can book it online.

19. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

the night before (or maybe even two nights before), buy an ipad from the apple online store for personal pick up. on the day you go, pick up the ipad you bought and return the one with the dead pixel. it's easier than asking for an exchange.

20. WashupDawg macrumors regular

I would return it. Steve Jobs would have returned it.

You don't pay premium price for a product that's not fantastic.

21. Mikekan macrumors regular

Definetely. I am not picky on things but dead pixels really bug me.

22. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I would hell yeah. For the $$ 1 dead pixel is not acceptable.

23. g4manimac macrumors 6502

I go through this a lot repairing iPhones with aftermarket lcd's return it.If you are honest about it like I am when you resell it a major percentage of people won't buy it for anything but a major discount.

24. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

Had a dead pixel when I bought my mini last year. Exchanged it at the Apple store with no hassle. They knew immediately what it was and said we were absolutely right to return it.

25. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Channeling the dead now?

I guess I would return it if it were obvious.