iPad iPad Air Return. Upsetting experience.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Alicia1, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Alicia1 macrumors regular

Just wanted to share my experience at the apple store yesterday. I purchased the iPad air on release day with every good intention of keeping it. When the retina mini was released I couldn't resist and decided that was the product for me. Was going to keep both but just couldn't justify having 2 iPads. So off I go to the apple store to return my air as I was told I had up to January 7 to return it.

When he went to process the return he said he had to get an override from the manager. I thought that is strange. The manager came up to me and said your name has been flagged for many returns and I would like to know why. I couldn't believe it! I generally only returned items due to faults (usually get a refund if a 2nd replacement isn't good) not change of mind (actually I did it once but the product was unopened and I purchased the next model up) and now my name is flagged! So much for a no questions asked return policy if you aren't happy! As they always see me in the store he approved the return.

Just wondering has this happened to anybody else and does it reset after a period of time? Does it just go on the name or the apple id and credit card as well? Are all the stores linked if I purchase from another store? I am crushed and will now hesitate to make a purchase because I don't want the third degree if I need to return something :(

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

I've heard of Apple doing this previously. There's a long running thread on this site with something similar happening to a MR user with Amazon.

What else have you returned previously?

3. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

This has me worried... Was going to return my IPad air today because I'd like to upgrade to the 32gb version (it is my first iPad so I had no idea how I would use it or how much space I'd need). But I have returned items in the past (both very small purchases but one was very recently). I hope I don't have problems or get flagged!

4. Alicia1 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I returned the Air and the Smart Case yesterday. Returned the Smart cover I bought for it a week ago (unopened as I decided I preferred the case), when I purchased my retina mini a week ago, I opened it in store and it had a cluster of dead pixels so they replaced it (keeping replacement as it is fine). I then purchased a few weeks ago a 13" retina macbook pro but returned it straight away unopened as I wanted the higher spec. I did have to return the higher spec one due to Image Retention. I have since purchased one online that is fine that I will be keeping.

I have purchased a lot from that store, not just for me but for work as well. I just hope it resets after a period of time.

5. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

While those issues sound justified, they would also be why you were flagged.

6. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Better to buy online, just one click for a return and TNT picks up. You don't have to speak to anyone. I have a iPad, smart case and dock sitting here waiting for pickup.

7. chabig macrumors 68040

It sounds like you should put more thought into your purchase decisions.

8. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502

Are Apple's systems not connected? If the store has the guy flagged, wouldn't the Apple store online know as well?

9. Alicia1 thread starter macrumors regular

So you have never bought something from Apple and took it back due to an issue? Or returned a product unopened for a higher spec model?

The staff at apple even say if you aren't happy there is a return policy. If they flag after a few returns then they should make that known as well.

10. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

I worked in retail before so going based off of what I know from other companies is that even though your returns are all good valid returns you have had too many returns within a specified time frame it's nothing personal but at this point you are costing the company money I'm not sure what Apple does with open/returned products but some places are required to mark down or not sale any product that was returned regardless it if was opened or not opened sadly the companies that I have worked before do not remove you from flagged list BUT again I am not sure about Apple good luck!

11. richard371 macrumors 68000

This is good to know. I have been doing quiet a few exchanges and returns of the Air and mini trying to get one with a correct screen. I just got another air but when I walked out of the store it had a large piece of dust under the screen that even the Genuis saw. They swapped it out for another one and I got home only to discover it failed the image retention test on the bottom right side of the screen and also has faint vertical lines like some people have seen with the iPhone 5. Its very faint but whats seen can't be unseen. After trying about 4 airs I'm just going to keep the one with the slightly uneven yellow on the left side of screen as thats been somewhat common. The other air will be my last return and hopefully I don't get flagged. If they do I will tell them all I was trying to do was get one with a good screen but I will keep the one I have at home with the uneven tint. I would sometimes buy one to bring it home and compare and consider keeping the better of the 2. Im also tired of exchanging anyway.

12. kevroc macrumors 6502

Well I've returned a boatload of stuff, between iPhones and iPads, probably 6 times in the last year. Almost all of them though have been ordered online with store pickup. So I have the option so sending back via mail, which I do sometimes or taking into the store, which I've done. So maybe that doesn't count the same way. But if they were tracking me I definitely would've been banned by now. :)

And for everyone that wants to chastise me for not making better decisions, well, you right, what can I say! All I know is that with the many, many billions of dollars apple makes it doesn't bother me too much.

13. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Who cares if you were flagged? It doesn't change the return policy even if you take back 1,000 items. And as a bonus, it looks like you discovered a way to get a manager to deal with you personally and right away. :D

14. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

That is quite a few - the return policy is there to give you peace of mind when making a purchase - it wasn't long ago when almost any computer manufacturer, including Apple, would only allow returns on items defective, and not defective would charge a restocking fee. I think we will see that very soon again with the number of returns I see alone on this message board.

Most retailers do not even allow you to return once you get on "the list" so if they went ahead made the return it is actually impressive.

15. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

i had no idea apple has a list. i've literally returned 2 macbook pros and 3 ipad minis in the past month and nothing.

16. doboy macrumors 68000

The policy may not change, but stores (not only Apple) usually reserves the right to refuse a return.

17. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

a little defensive are we? he didn't say he's never returned anything, he implied that he hasn't returned several things.

you returned a bunch of stuff - some of it because it was defective and some of it because you changed your mind. they flagged you but let you return (yet another) item you didn't want.

You got what you wanted, what's the problem?

Some people are never happy...

18. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

apple can't refuse a return, they can only refuse a purchase.

it is disappointing though. the way apple touts their return policy makes it seem like they WANT You to buy stuff and try it out.

19. skillwill macrumors regular

Absolutely, I'm stunned that this guy so carelessly purchases these items and treats the Apple store like a library. It's clear why Apple is doing this - if everybody did it they wouldn't have a business. Despite having a "no questions asked" returns policy, as with every other liberty, you can't just take advantage of it. Do your research then make your purchase.

20. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Where does it say that? (Other than the common sense conditions outlined in the posted return policy of course).

21. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

whenever i'm at a apple store the store associates always say "Just buy it and try it out, if you don't like it take it back"

well don't mind if i do

22. Alicia1 thread starter macrumors regular

For a start I am female, secondly I do know what I want and thirdly I really only return unopened products if there is an issue with them (which I have every right to). The other items I have returned can be resold as they haven't been opened. The Air has been the only exception as the mini suits me better.

23. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I'm willing to bet the Macrumors crowd is hardly representative of the average consumer. Most people don't notice any of the issues mentioned on here and never return an item. They may not even be aware of the return policy or may even feel awkward returning anything.

For those that do know about the return policy, it's a significant part of the goodwill that's been built up around the Apple retail stores. I doubt they would scale back on that anytime soon - at least not in the US. I know overseas it's not always the same.

24. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

i think companies should be required to be open about this. If you've returned more than xxx amount we will refuse to sell you yyy. i don't want to be a consumer who's living to an arbitrary standard or i'll take my business elsewhere.

25. aristobrat macrumors G4

You have very bad luck with faulty Apple equipment! :( Sounds like most of the below were opened, though. Wonder if Apple's system tracks returns, regardless of reason?

1 Time Capsule?

2 white iPhones?

1 iPad mini?

1 rMPB?

iPhone 4?

6 iMacs?