iPad iPad Air Sleeve/Jacket

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by I-Bot, Nov 2, 2013.

1. I-Bot macrumors member

I-Bot

Hey Guys,
    So I was able to purchase an iPad Air on Launch Day but did not get a case or cover for it, I just love the feel and aesthetic of a naked iPad. I don't know, it's just something I like, I had a Screen Protector and Smart Cover for my iPad Mini 1st Generation and although I did like the Smart Cover, the stand wasn't that great and I love the Screen Protector but I also love the feel of the glass. So, my question is basically, I know Apple Stores and other Tech Stores sell sleeves and Jackets for the iPad, most of which right now are for the iPad 4th Generation but I was wondering if the Sleeves/Jackets are compatible with the iPad Air, I know the bezel is different and the Air is thinner than the older models but will it for the most part fit? How much room will be left over in the Sleeve/Jacket?

~Thanks

2. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

I want a sleeve as well. I had a Smart Case on my 3rd generation, and it was pretty great. Definitely protected it from knicks and bumps; and kept the screen safe in my bag. But the big selling point of the Air is its thinness and lightness. It's immediately noticeable in regular use, and would be a shame to diminish with a case.

So, a sleeve it is! Unfortunately, I hit the Apple Store today after realizing there's really nothing online yet to order. In the store, they had a few decent sleeves that caught my eye - mainline the ACME and Cote & Ciel (spelling?) variations. But both were obviously built and still remnants of the iPad 2/3/4. I slid my Air in to see, and sure enough, there was a good deal of extra material on either side because of the thinner bezel.

So, at this point I'm just going to hold out. I imagine we'll see new cases pretty soon specific to the Air - probably a matter of just a couple weeks.

3. Daria macrumors regular

Daria

Levenger.com has some really beautiful iPad accessaries. So far I haven't seen new stuff specifically for iPad Air, though. I'm thinking about this one for my new Air: http://www.levenger.com/iPad-1262/iPad-Cases-156/Bijou-iPad-Envelope-12639.aspx

I don't think the size issue will be a difference, in fact the extra width may allow for slipping in the wireless keyboard from my iMac though I'd need to put it in a soft sleeve or wrap of some sort.

Levenger's stuff is so reliably high quality.

4. ZipZap macrumors 601

I think the whole point of the iPad Air is weight.

So this time no wasting money on and adding weight with:

- Screen Protectors (especially glass)
    - Fancy cases

All I need is a slip case.

I have always liked the refleece case but I think it will be too big for the Air. In the interim until I can get a better fitted case, I am using the Incase Slip case which was available locally and immediately.

BTW...based upon the prices I see at lavender I'd go with VAJA.

5. christurbo macrumors regular

I am need of a sleeve too after negating the need of a case or cover.

The issue is that there is hardly any choice out there.

I am deliberating getting a larger one meant for the 2/3/4.

Will the extra room make it useless? Anyone using a larger sleeve on their iAir?

6. MacMandy macrumors 6502

MacMandy

Hi,

I got the apple smart cover as I need a stand sometimes, and its really quick and easy to remove. I put it in a Belkin sleeve when it goes in my bag. It was designed for the older iPads, so there is a little bit of room, but it doesn't bother me. It was pretty cheap too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003BSXOM4/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

7. christurbo macrumors regular

Thanks - I bought a second hand Griffin Elan Leather Sleeve for 99p on eBay. This should do me until something attractive comes up on the market specifically for the Air.

[​IMG]

8. VesicpP macrumors newbie

9. I-Bot thread starter macrumors member

I-Bot

I have been looking around, I checked Amazon and the Apple Store online Website and did not find anything on Amazon at all that was a good Sleeve for the Air, I did find one thing on the Apple Store website though.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H...or-ipad?fnode=3b&fs=f=ipad5gen&fh=35cb%2B3fc3

$60 for a case, it's much like the DoDo Sleeve pricing, I understand that it is made out of true leather but I do prefer something with a zipper as well, I did just purchase a Smart Cover for my Air today but I would still like a Sleeve. I hope that Incase makes a Sleeve for the Air as I hear Incase is a good inexpensive maker of Sleeves. For now though, I'll have to hold out and protect it with the Smart Cover.

10. Enrico macrumors 6502

Enrico

What about a JOLI sleeve?
    I have it for my MBA and it's wonderful!
    Thinking to get it for iPad Air aswell....

11. Daria macrumors regular

Daria

Here in the USA we have Levenger http://www.levenger.com/iPad-1262/iPad-Cases-156.aspx who have a great assortment of quality products. No, I don't work for them :) but I'm a frequent customer.

A great thing about this company is their customer service; one of the best I've ever seen.

12. boobie12 macrumors 6502

13. IT Troll macrumors member

I am looking for a portrait style slip case / pouch that is just the right size for the iPad Air with a Smart Cover.

For the iPad 2 I used a Crumpler Giordano.
    For the iPad 3 is used a Pro-Tec Executive Leather Slip Case Pouch.

So something like one of these just for providing extra protection when travelling.

14. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

15. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

I picked up an INCASE one from the Apple store today and it is great...it was made for the 4th Gen, but obviously works well for the iPad Air and the Smart Cover that I have on it

16. IT Troll macrumors member

That looks like a nice sleeve but isn't it a bit oversized for the Air? How is the fit?

17. ZipZap macrumors 601

This was the only leather product I ever bought that did not smell like new leather.

It felt dry. Its a bit expensive for what you actually get.

For those considering...keep in mind that the return shipping will be much higher and more complicated as they are overseas

18. Onno macrumors member

Weird, I'm still doubting between the new mini and the air, but when I decide I'll definitely get a Joli originals sleeve! I already have several and they are very high quality and the leather is absolutely awesome! For my new iPad I will probably get a grey red sleeve in smooth leather.

19. Enrico macrumors 6502

Enrico

Surely it's expensive but I wasn't looking to buy a cheap leather sleeve. You can choose either textured or plain leather, I went for the first one because of my fav color combination.
    Handmade in Holland, shipping was cheap to Italy ;)

20. justinbilly0 macrumors newbie

I checked Brando's shop. They have Simplisum cases which are from Japan. Has anyone heard of it before? I'm thinking to get the super light cover, it looks pretty attractive and light. $34 with free shipping.

21. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

it's a little big, and I may return it since I just purchased a rooCASE one from Amazon that looks pretty sweet...I will judge between the two and then return the one I don't like as much

22. I-Bot thread starter macrumors member

I-Bot

I caved in and purchased an Incase Sleeve from the Apple Store, it was designed for the 4th generation iPad but it does still fit the iPad Air, yes there is some space but not alot, a good purchase, it was somewhere around $30 bucks but it works pretty well with my Air.

23. IT Troll macrumors member

Please can someone with the INCASE sleeve post a photo of it with the iPad Air to show the fit.

24. ZipZap macrumors 601

I bought it and returned it. Tool much loose space inside.