iPad Air vs iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dave245, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Dave245 macrumors 601

I currently have the iPad 3, which i use for university to take notes on, i also use it for the odd game, but nothing too powerful as i do most of my gaming on my Xbox. Do you guys think its worth the upgrade from the iPad 3 to the iPad Air? or should i wait until the iPad Air 2 (if it's called that) is announced :confused:

Those that have the iPad Air, what do you think of it? and is it justifiable to go from the 3 to the Air?

2. AlterZgo macrumors member

Yes. It is totally worth the upgrade. I went from an iPad 3 to iPad Air. Still have both devices, but the iPad 3 just feels very slow and not nearly as smooth as the Air.

Another great thing is, it is VERY light... so much so, I don't take my mini on trips anymore as I don't feel like the weight difference btw the Air and mini is much of an issue at all. The iPad 3 OTOH, feels like a brick compared to the Air.

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Depends on wether you need to upgrade? If you just want new bling NOW, then by all means buy it..

4. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 601

I don't "need" to upgrade, the iPad 3 still works (all be it a little slow with ios 7) i was just wondering about other people's opinions with coming from the iPad 3

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

For me, the main benefit of upgrading from the 3 to the Air was the lighter weight. If the weight of the 3 isn't bothering you, I'd wait for the next Air. Yes, the Air is faster, but unless you are into graphic-intensive games, it doesn't make a huge difference in user experience, IMO.

6. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 601

Now that I've finished from university for the summer, the weight won't be a problem because I'll just be using it at home. Waiting for the next iPad Air was what I was thinking, but also with Apple rumoured to be releasing a bigger phablet at around 5.5, I might look into getting that. But of course they are just rumours at the moment.

7. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

I think immunized not need it right now, you probably want to want until iPad Air 2. If you can find a good deal on iPad Air, the you should go for it. I found a really good deal on iPad 4 with LTze (253 dollars after tax) and sold my iPad 3 immediately for this. If you can find samiliar deal,mother you should not think twice, just go for it. Otherwise, waiting for iPad Air 2 would be smart idea

8. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

The iPad Air is my first ever model.

I returned the iPad rMini due to my eyes and I wanted the extra real estate.

What do I think of it.

Well I've not really used my MBA since.

Ticks all my wants and needs boxes.

9. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

If you are to get it now, you sould wait for BestBuy to offer it at $440. Heck, yesterday Shoprite (A supermarket!) online offered the iPad Air for $399!

10. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 601

I'm in the UK we don't have a best buy :( but i think i'm going to wait an see what the iPad Air 2 brings. This year seems like Apple are going to be doing some cool things, the iPhone 6 looks to be getting a bigger screen and there are rumours of the 12" iPad. :apple:

11. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Yea then I would hold off definitely; you guys pay an arm and a leg.

Come visit us, NYC is just a short 6 hour flight :D

12. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 601

Yea we do we pay like £700 for the 128GB version. Looking forward to see what Apple do with the next iPad tho.

NYC sounds awsome, not been myself but I know a few people who have

13. Billy95Tech Suspended

I would rather wait till the Ipad Air 2 comes mainly because of the (likely)2GB of RAM in there and far better specs.

Because on the Ipad Air the apps keeps on crashing and Safari keeps on reloading because of the lack of RAM and the IOS 7 is very RAM hungry and is a 64 bit system.

14. scupking macrumors 6502a

iPad Air is a great device but at this point I would hold off until the next one comes out.

15. HenryDJP macrumors 603

And how would you even know this? You don't even own an iPad Air as you so humbly have stated in multiple threads while you so humbly promote the Non-Apple tablets (that you took the time to inform us of the model numbers and OS they run) you currently use and enjoy. :rolleyes:

16. sixrom macrumors 6502a

I'm very happy with my iPad Air. I bought a second one for my wife.

I can suggest buying with confidence.

17. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I suggest waiting. It doesn't sound like you push your current iPad to the limit. I'm in the same situation as you, and I decided to keep using my iPad 3 a little longer.

18. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I have a 64GB iPad 3 and don't feel the need to upgrade just yet. I like having the side bezels to hold onto and the more solid feeling glass. The Air is great, but not significantly better than the 3 or 4 in my opinion.

19. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

In terms of performance, yes.. You are right.

But it is significant lighter than 3 or 4 which that in it self makes it worth the upgrade IMO.

My sista had the 3, and I bought the Air for her. She was extremely pleased with it, majority due to the weight of the device.

20. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I mainly use my iPad at home, and the weight doesn't bother me really. The sturdiness of the glass and the extra grip provided by the side bezels are worth the trade off for me. When I upgrade I want a bit more of a performance boost, as well as aesthetic changes. The Air is a beauty, but I can't get over how plasticky and hollow the screen feels.

21. Billy95Tech Suspended

I know i have never owned a IPAD or the air.

But about the RAM problem and 64 bit IOS 7 i have heard lots of IPAD Air users keep saying about the apps keeps on crashing and safari reloading problem on there IPAD Airs because of the lack of RAM(1GB) and the IOS 7 is very RAM hungry/64 bit system.

So i might as well mention it to the OP thread poster just in case. :)

22. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Well you couldn't be more wrong. I have no crashing issues on my iPad Air. So until you use something firsthand don't make blanket statements you have no proof on. Why you're on the iPad forum is certainly no mystery based on your post history. I got your M.O. Must be pretty boring on the other side. ;)

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, your previous post sounded like you were speaking from experience. If Henry hadn't pointed it out, I would never have realized you didn't actually own an iPad Air.

In my experience with the iPad Air, which I've owned since release, yes, it tends to reload more frequently, and yes, I've experienced a few crashes. But your post made it sound like it keeps crashing all the time, which it never did. And I believe crashes have decreased a lot since I updated to 7.1, to the same level as it was on previous iPads under iOS 6 (yes, iPads do crash occasionary, like once in a few months). The Air still reloads Safari tabs more than the iPad 3, but I'd say it's about the same level as it used to be on the iPad 2, and to me, isn't a big deal.

24. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

But you should then be honest and say that "many" are having that problem,not state it as if it's everyone, which is far from the truth. I've had no problems whatsoever on my Air, and everyone knows that there are a hundred times more people here than the handful reporting problems.

25. Billy95Tech, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014

Billy95Tech Suspended

Sorry if i did sounded that i have a IPAD air or anything like the problems making it sound bigger than it is in my 1st post in this thread.
    I am just pointing it out there that a lots of users there IPAD Air have some problems(RAM/Safari).

Maybe it is not soo bad after the IOS 7.1 has made the apps don't crash and tabs in Safari not reloading not so often.

I still think the Ipad air 2 needs to have 2GB of RAM because of 64 bit IOS 8.

@HenryDJP well you could not be more wrong as well.

Because the users have reported those issues on sites like this Apple forum,Imore and more.

For a example: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5532206?tstart=0

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1674487
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1669719
    http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-air-forum/116242-anyone-concerned-about-1gb-ram-being-enough.html

There's is PROOF, So your argument is invalid.