All iPads iPad Air? Wow someone should be fired.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thedeejay, Oct 22, 2013.

1. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Don't get me wrong. I love the iPad Air (iPad 5 in my world). But wow the naming sucks

It's great that they bridged the gap between the mini and the regular size. I mean why should I get a stripped down "weaker" iPad for just $100 less. So now you're just paying for screen size. Awesome sauce.

2. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

May be the same guy who came up with Space Gray...

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I don't mind it. Since the "new iPad" the naming has been messed up (IMO)

4. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Really? Someone should get fired? Where's the downvote button when you need it?

5. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Actually it makes a lot of sense:
    • Solves the "generation" naming issue for now
    • Solves the nomenclature issue between full size and mini variants
    • Adds a qualitative tag to the title to differeniate from competing devices (Surfact, Lumia, Tab, etc)
    • Suggests that this iPad is "all new" in comparison to previous models
    • Builds on the great brand they've started around MacBook Air
    • Pisses off people that don't understand marketing

6. Unhyper macrumors regular

Unhyper

I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah...the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones.

7. thedeejay thread starter macrumors 65816

thedeejay

You do realize that naming is actually quite critical. Coming up with an appropriate name for the product is crucial. When they named the iPad (3rd Gen) the "new iPad" you do realize it caused massive amounts of confusing. Now you're probably going to BS and say not to you. But it did to many others. So yes. It's quite crucial. Anyways, it's lame.

8. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    I've no problems with the name. Actually, I think it's rather cool.

iPad Air. The power of lightness.

Sure makes sense to me.

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Great thread. As if one person is responsible for the name. As if it wasn't approved by like 50 people.

The day when there aren't a dozen hyperbolic dramatic comments after an Apple keynote is the day there are no more Apple keynotes.

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You forgot one.

Gives room for the iPad Pro coming in January.

;)

11. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

12. phr0ze macrumors 6502a

If they release a 13" ipad and treat it like a canvas for the professional, they'll need room for the iPad Pro moniker.

13. Aye macrumors regular

It makes a lot of sense. iPad Skinny probably would have pleased more iWhiners. LOL

More than 1/2 lighter than lightest Mac Air. Thinnest & lightest full sized tablet in the planet. In line with soon to be naming conventions of Macs & iGadgets.

My body & soul are ready for the iPhone Air in 2014. :cool:

14. calvol, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

calvol macrumors 6502a

+1 OP.... Air dilutes the "Air" brand for the laptops and is confusing for customers. How about "iPad 5" like everybody on this forum calls it. Dumb marketing. What's the next version going to be?

15. Cell-666 macrumors 6502

iPad Pro to follow with larger screen, bigger battery, 4k cameras etc :p

16. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

do you really care about a name? does this really affect you? i could care less if they call it something completely different its a name doesnt change what it is.

17. cube macrumors G5

It means they should release a 13" iPad next year.

18. Aye macrumors regular

I will buy it even with iPad Skinny name. Who cares - if all Apple products have "Air" version / name?

----------

iPad Pro.

19. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Its just a gadget.. it really doesn't matter what they call it. There are many things in life to be upset over, but this isn't one of them.

20. Alith macrumors 6502

The 'Air' brand is established. You say 'iPad Air' and the customer knows exactly what the new selling points are.

21. Aucun Express macrumors regular

I think that the name is perfect. It clearly differentiate itself with the iPad 2. And it is better than simply "iPad with Retina display", as most people don't even see the difference in the screens anyway.
    iPad Air states something. It focuses on the lightness of the device, which is really a key factor in a portable device.
    If someone should get fired, it's the people who created the Surface or the PlayBook.

22. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I think the name is ingenious!

Awesome.

My ipad 1 is finally getting retired. Book reader for my other half as she trashes a cheap android.

23. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

that color name has actually been around for a long time. I bought a BMW in 2007 and the official color was space Gray. I've also seen it around with other products.

24. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

The name actually does mean a lot. I was once in a best buy and heard someone ask to see the Samsung iPad.

25. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

I smell the next iPhone ( being the same size) in space gray, and called the iPhone air - instead of iPhone 6. Boom. Sell millions.