iPad and AppleCare??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by afdrookie, Aug 29, 2010.

1. afdrookie macrumors newbie

Is it worth purchasing the AppleCare with the iPad or just save my 100 bucks??

2. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

I don't think Applecare is worth the $100 for the iPad. I did however purchase SquareTrade for my parents iPad as it adds the second year of warranty coverage PLUS adds accidental coverage, which IMO is more likely to happen. They routinely have specials and you can pick it up for $80 or so.

3. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Only risk is if they go out of business, you're not covered. Granted, the same goes for Apple, but Apple are less likely to go out of business.

4. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Sure, but SquareTrade warranties are backed by AmTrust. Not saying it couldn't happen, but they are on pretty solid ground and have an excellent financial rating.

iPad Guide has a nice writeup on SquareTrade and the pros and cons.

5. stark4 macrumors 6502

i was reading that review and i also agree that SquareTrade is the way to go.. and it's cheaper than applecare...

is there any discount code right now for SquareTrade?

6. Built macrumors 68020

7. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

Another vote for SquareTrade. Especially if your ipad is being passed around and used by other people from time to time.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Does Square Trade reimburse you for your repair or replacement costs?

For laptops I always purchase Applecare. It has paid off more than 50% of the time. However $100 seem high for an iPad. An alternative might be better. My guess is there are no iPad repairs, just replacement. Can anyone confirm?

9. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

It just doesn't seem like there's enough that could go wrong on an iPad to justify the cost of AppleCare, so I didn't bother. So long as I can get a year out of it I'll be happy, as I think there's still a lot of progress to be made, but hopefully it'll live a lot longer than that. :)

10. melman101 macrumors 68030

I also have SquareTrade. Just note, they don't cover scratches on the screen either. It has to be fully broken.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

After reading the last 3 posts, is there a situation where Apple care covers something that Squaretrade does not?

Just to be sure I understand correctly- with a Squaretrade warranty, you can have the unit repaired by Apple and send Squaretrade the bill? Are there situations where ST would not cover the entire bill?

Thanks!

12. leons macrumors 6502

I believe there are 4 major choices for iPad insurance.

-AppleCare
    Only covers warranty issues for an extended time

-Squaretrade
    Covers same as AppleCare plus accidents

-Safeware
    Only covers accidents or theft

-Worthavegroup
    Same coverage as Safeware

Looks to me than no one covers all three: warranty issues for an extended time, accident, and theft.