iPad and iPhone tethering

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ChromeCloud, Jan 27, 2010.

1. ChromeCloud macrumors member

Do you think there is any chance the iPad (wi-fi only model) will be able to use the iPhone internet connection through tethering?

Anybody having facts on this matter, besides legitimate guesses?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Since the iPad is running on the iPhone OS, I would say that there's no way.

3. dread macrumors 6502a

If you jailbroke your iphone and paid 9.99 for miwi I think it would work, but I am not sure.

4. honeytoast macrumors regular

I don't see why this wouldn't work. I've had friends tether their iPod Touch's to my iPhone with the MyWi app. It shows up like any other wifi network.

5. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

Does anyone think NetShare will work to use iPhone connection on iPad?

6. KCWolfPck macrumors regular

That's what I want to know too. I am guessing no. I don't see the wireless setting in the iPad as being robust enough (like a MacBook).

Put it this way, with the netShare app, could we share the 3G connection of iPhone 1 with a second iPhone? I can't think of a way to do it and that leads me to believe the the iPad will be the same (as it runs the same OS).

I wish it would work though....because I have the NetShare app too!

7. MrFrodo macrumors newbie

I think this is really a key decision factor if the WIFI model does it or the 3G is needed. So if anybody finds along the way some real facts this would be very much appreciated!

8. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

AT&T is screwing its customers again with the iPad deal. NY Times reports AT&T saying "we can handle it". Of course - particularly since they failed to live up to their promise about iPhone tethering. It's much more profitable for AT&T to prohibit iPhone tethering and then charge another $20 a month for iPad data.

But, the iPad does connect to wireless networks. If it can connect to any wireless network (just like the iPhone can) then it can connect to a wireless network set up by a jailbroken iPhone. With a jailbroken iPhone, you can set up a wireless network than anyone (or anything) can join. No different to the hardware than any other network. Since wireless is faster than 3G, there would be no difference in download speeds between a 3G iPad and the jailbroken iPhone and WiFi iPad connected through it. A jailbroken iPhone with a WiFi only iPad makes more financial sense than a non-jailbroken iPhone and an iPad with 3G and another data plan - to the tune of $240 a year. The only issue you'd have is the battery drain on the iPhone.

9. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Tethering from the iPad in front of me to the iPhone in my pocket just makes too much sense!

Unfortunately, it would cut out a revenue stream for the telecoms partners, so I don't see it happening without jaibreak.

10. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Why don't you guys just get a Mifi and connect both iPhone, iPad, netbooks, macbooks and so forth to it?
    If it was available in Norway, that's what I would do :|

11. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Would be good if I was on pay and go, but I've got almost another year to go on O2 so don't want yet another phone contract!

12. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Man could you imagine trying to use a iPhone in New York after this thing comes out?

If the iPhone can do free legit legal tethering to the iPad I might actually buy one.

13. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

14. GregA macrumors 65816

It absolutely makes sense.

But is it about jailbreaking? I already tether my laptop to my iPhone (in Australia). Just like I used to tether my laptop to my Nokia. Both via Bluetooth.

Does the iPad OS itself allow us to tether the iPad to an iPhone OR Nokia via bluetooth? Or does the IPAD need to be Jailbroken?

(I get that if we get a Mifi, or jailbreak the iPhone to produce a wifi network, the iPad can use that just like a wifi network).

15. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Yeah I have MyWi on my iPhone, and if I ever get an iPad, that is what I would use. No need to get the 3G version if I have an iPhone (unless you need a GPS)

16. macmermaid macrumors newbie

Since all "3G" iPads are unlocked, can you use any carrier for the data plan? Maybe another carrier will come out with a cheaper data plan. Although $15 bucks a month is pretty cheap.

17. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Yes you can use any carrier, but they have to support MicroSIM. T-mobile said that they will start supporting those this year though, so thats both major US GSM carriers

18. outz macrumors 6502

but from what i read it will only be 3g usable on att's radio bands... but you can still use it on tmo's edge network.

no webcam anyway, so who cares.

19. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I am confused Wikipedia say that T-mobile uses the 1700 and 2100 spectrums

Apple says that the iPAd can use the 2100 spectrum. Can someone clarify this? [​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

damn microsim is a pain in the ass. i cant even move my sim back and forth:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

21. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

+1

The iPad uses a standard WiFi radio. It doesn't know or care if the WiFi signal it sees is from the iPhone or Starbucks. If you can get your phone to share it's connection with your laptop, it will also work with the iPad.

22. Alicepire macrumors newbie

If someone made a dock to dock cable, would that work for tethering? Or is there any way of making this work without jailbreaking? I live in Australia, so AT&T isn't an issue. I already pay for tethering, seems cruel not to let me use it.

23. MyRumors macrumors member

What about tethering via bluetooth from iPhone to the iPad.
    I live in norway where iPhone tethering is allowed. I tether via BT all the time to my mac, i see no problem with this to the iPad as long as they dont block it

24. KCWolfPck macrumors regular

I'm not so sure that is true. To share my iPhone's 3G connection with my MacBook, I have to adjust my MacBook network preferences to Create a new network. Then I connect to that network on my iPhone, then run the NetShare application.

Since the iPad runs the same OS as the iPhone, I don't believe I'll be able to make those same network options on the iPad to broadcast a wireless network like I can on the MacBook.

So....unless you know something I don't know....I don't think your statement is entirely true.

25. aarong50 macrumors regular

I tested the MYWI application on my Iphone and my wife's Iphone. I was able to turn my Iphone into a wifi hotspot, connect to it with my wife's (over wifi) and browse at identical speeds on 3G.

It will work easily on the Ipad.