iPad and iPhone use the same wallcharger?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BlindMellon, May 9, 2011.

1. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

Title says it all. Can I use the iPad charger for both it and the iPhone? Hate to carry around two chargers...

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, you can use the iPhone charger or the iPad charger with both.

3. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

The iPhone charger is lower power, so it will charge the iPad very slowly. (The iPad will display "Not Charging".) The iPad charger works great for both.

4. Mr.C macrumors 601

Yes you can the iPad charger will work just fine with the iPhone. I recently came back from holiday and just took my iPad charger to charge both it and my iPhone.

5. sportster macrumors 6502

Like the others already said, yes you can charge an iPad with an iPhone charger.

I let my dad use my iPad (1st gen) this weekend, and he used his iPhone 4 charger to charge it. It showed as being charged, but took a very long time to make any progress. And the little usb wall adapter thingy got really warm.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iPad charges just fine and does not show "Not Charging" when using an iPhone charger.

7. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

As other Too: I never use the iPhone 4 charger; always have an iPad charger around. Even bought a second one for the office.
    Wish that my MBA charger would gain a bit more power and one USB coonector, then I could travel with one power adapter only.

8. yyr macrumors newbie

You could try one of these. One USB connector does the Ipad and the other does the Iphone. Works a treat.

http://www.jivotechnology.com/cat/power/product/travelcharger/

9. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

Interesting... Apple may have improved the iPhone charger. The charger that came with my June 2010 iPhone 4 only provides 1A of current. My iPad 1 charger provides 2.1A of current.

Both chargers are the same physical size, so it seems reasonable for Apple just to standardize on the higher output one. I'm surprised they didn't do this at the initial release of the iPhone 4.

10. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

That one will charge the iPad pretty slowly as it only provides 1.2A of current, not the 2.1A provided by the iPad charger. The second port only provides 0.5A vs. the 1A provided by an iPhone charger.

This one should work though:
    http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-reVIVE-Dual-Home-Charger/dp/B003N7NO4G
    [​IMG]

11. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

You're lying. It absolutely does say not charging

12. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

To be fair to Intell - Apple seems to have updated the iPad firmware to remove this message when using a 1A wall charger. I just tested my iPad 1 (4.3.2 software) and I didn't get the message. However, I do still see the message when the iPad is connected to a USB port on my 2007 MBP.

Regardless, it's still the case that the iPad charges much faster with the 2.1A iPad charger than the 1A iPhone charger.

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Strange, my iPad never showed me that message for the month I charged it with the iPhone charger that came with my launch day 3Gs.

14. Mario Loco, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011

Mario Loco macrumors member

I just plugged in my iPhone 1 amp charge in to the iPad2 and it did not display the "Not Charging" message.

I am a little scared to plug in my iPad charge to my iPhone though. Won't it screw up the battery on my iPhone?:apple:

15. peaceActivist macrumors regular

peaceActivist

the ipad charger is a 10w charger, the ipod/iphone charger (the little cube brick as appose to the flat square break that can break into 2 parts) is a 5W charger. USB also uses 5W which is why the iPad won't charge when connected to a computer's USB port. iPad needs 10W of power to charge. Conveniently enough, if you charge your iPod or iPhone using the 10W charger, it reduces charge time quite drastically without damaging your iWhatevers.

Old 4th Gen iPod models came with similar style chargers as the iPad, but they are marked as 7.5W chargers, which works fine with iPad but charges very very slow. I have a plethora of apple chargers from all the different iDevices over the years.

16. gquiring macrumors regular

gquiring

I have wondered about that also. If the 2amp charger is used on an iPhone does the iPhone reduce the amount of amps used to charge the lithium battery at the correct current.

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Plugging an iPhone into the iPad charger will not harm the iPhone in any way. They are designed to only draw the power they need to charge.

The iPad will charge from 5W USB ports. Some ports trigger the iPad to show "Not Charging". Even though the iPad shows "Not Charging" it is charging, but at a very very slow rate.

18. peaceActivist macrumors regular

peaceActivist

extreeeeemely slow rate.:D The 7.5W charger took more than 5 hours to charge from 20%, I can only imagine how long it would take from a 5W.

19. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The standard iPhone chargers the iPad within 7 hours. Maybe your older styled charger is faulty or the iPhone chargers can do more than what Apple states.

20. peaceActivist macrumors regular

peaceActivist

possible. absolutely possible.