Ipad as a display

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Shaytanabyad, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Shaytanabyad macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if it's possible/how to use an iPad as a display for an Xbox 360?

Thank you.

2. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Not by directly connecting The XBox 360 to it. You may be able to do it by using an intermediate device to convert analog video digital format and then streaming it over WiFi.

I hace done it in the past using a PC with additional hardware and software using an HP iPAQ, but the quality was terrible. On the iPad should be much better if not perfect.

Be aware that it may be cheaper and more convenient to just buy a small monitor, and if you were planning to use it in your car, get a car adaptor.
    If you are willing to spend the bucks, a little research on Google may help you find the right components.

3. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

I would imagine that even a workaround would cause lag.

4. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I doubt it. I'm already streaming high resolution video to my iPad using AirVideo. A computer that is powerful enough could stream a live video feed from an XBox 360. No lags.

5. upaymeifixit, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010

upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

It's an interesting idea, but in short, no. Nobody has developed the hardware to convert any of the Xbox's outputs to the iPad's. I think it could be done though.

If you just wanted to see it work (not really for gaming) Amazing Iceman had it right, you could buy a capture device (I would not recommend EasyCap) and view the game on your computer and then use a VNC client on the iPad to view the computer's screen. j3yq was right though, it would have severe latency (maybe not lag), any game would be almost unplayable if you did it this way.

It wouldn't necessarily have anything to do with the computer's power, more so the router's speed. I've not used AirVideo, but I'm 99% sure that it doesn't do a 100% live stream of the video. I think AirVideo buffers the video first (like YouTube).

6. mouthster macrumors regular

If the question is "Can I play games on my Xbox and use my iPad as a display?" the answer is no.

If the question is "Can I get my Xbox to display images on my iPad's display with an unbeleivable amount of controller lag due to wireless latency and buffering using a freakshow of capture devices and streaming kludges?" the answer is not yet.

7. GeekGuys macrumors regular

Same but different

I have a similar, but different question.
    I want to put a pair of iPads as video players in the back of my car, attached to the headrests.
    Whilst this is fine for individual use, I want to link them so what is played on one, will be shown on the 2nd iPad. Is this possible?

I've not found any app that seems to stream video from one iPad to another but I might not be searching for the right thing. I was hoping a cable solution would work, due to latency of wifi/bluetooth transports but willing to have anything that worked.

Any help would be appreciated. Thx

8. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic