iPad as a full Computer

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AppleDApp, Jun 29, 2011.

1. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Does anyone here use the iPad as a full computer? The only thing the iPad misses so it replaces most of what I own is a torrent client and maybe a 30 pin connector to to usb hub adaptor.

What do you think?

2. Mdifilm macrumors regular

It's been said many times, the iPad supplements a laptop... However if your laptop need is just to web browse, gaming, writing articles or check email, then yes, a friend of mine is using the iPad I gave him as a sole computer.

If you plan to do more than the above like photoediting with Photoshop, video editing or graphic design or web programming, iPad will not do the work.

3. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Also, you will not be able to view anything using flash...that may not be a bad thing necessarily, but it is a limitation right now.

4. jake4ever macrumors regular

I use my iPad as a supplement. I use it for notes when I'm out of the office, but I have a dedicated computer for work.

5. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

There are millions of computer users who only use their machines for web browsing, email, social networking etc. For them, an iPad is a quite adequate and convenient device that will serve all of their needs.

I'm positive that the iPad will never have a torrent client, if it does, i will switch platforms in protest. There may be a handful of legitimate torrent uses out there, but the vast majority of users do it for IP theft. The whole hub adaptor thing...yeah, not gonna happen. If it's a sole computer, you would only need to hook it up to a printer which it already does wirelessly. There are web/app based solutions for most file transfers as well. the OS just doesn't have that kind of user accessible file system.

For now, most people use it as a supplement device, but with icloud we will see that start to change as those web only users forget about their PCs.

6. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Mak47, that's ridiculous. Handful of legitimate...wrong. But by all means, leave in protest..you won't find another platform that doesn't have one should apple allow it.

7. donnaw macrumors 65816

The iPad has too many limitations to be considered a full computer. I cannot imagine trying to work in the business world without the capability of having multiple windows open at once. Many time I need to look and compare, research,

Having to open multiple applications to email various documents is unrealistic in an office environment. When I need to send several documents/spreadsheets to several people I need to have them in the same email. Imagine trying to coordinate receiving these. Just keeping them together in an email aids in the coordination of information.

Those are just a couple of drawbacks that prohibit using the iPad as a full computer in a business environment. It's a great device. But is cumbersome in many business environments. In business time is money, and efficient workflow is crucial. Having to use so many third-party workarounds is time consuming and inefficient. It's just not there and I doubt it will ever be considering Apple's lockdowns. But then again, I don't think Apple ever wanted it to be a full replacement. What it does, it does very well. And I believe that was the point.

8. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I agree with the above, and iPad is not enough as a sole computer. My gf and I have one MacBook and one iPad between us. We use the iPad most of the time now, but the proper computer is still a must.

9. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

iPad with a thunderbolt docking station would be interesting...

10. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

What do people use Torrents for other than Piracy!? If people are still using it for legitimate reasons then they're majorly behind the times. There are many, many faster and better ways to get legitimate content available to the masses nowadays. Shutdown torrents I say, it's been superseeded in so many ways (including piracy) that there is no longer a need for it. It's just for idiots who don't know any better.

11. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

So you are publicly saying you know of better ways to pirate data. Who's the idiot again?

12. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

once i can jailbreak my ipad 2 it will better serve the role of a replacement ... until then its a damn good partner.

as you said, torrents are one thing that will never come to the ipad. hopefully there is/will be a client when i jailbreak.

i also find that pr0n is one thing the ipad doesnt do better :)

13. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

I have been using mine since the original launch as my only stand alone item, I only update on my kids once in awhile.

14. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

It can handle basic things like web browsing, e-mailing, social networking, music, movies, and even movie editing and music composition, fine, and you can get a torrent client if you jailbreak that bad boy too :D

As others have said, though, if you want to do more advanced stuff, you'll need a proper computer.

15. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Although I haven't used my computer much since getting my iPad 2, I still won't be giving up on it.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

16. Danoc macrumors 6502

Danoc

Microsoft says no. Apple says yes.

17. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Well,

Under iOS5 you maybe headed towards it IF you want to have an Apple bases router that you can set up in the pad, and a printer that supports Airprint.

But seriously, to create meaningful multi-page documents, power points etc on the iPad is difficult if not impossible.

The iPad is a travel or sit on the sofa and browse the web device.

(don’t get me wrong, I do love my iPad!)

18. Danoc macrumors 6502

Danoc

My workstation at job (bank) cannot do videoconference because it does not have any camera, the browser IE6 is too old to support the current web and there is no HD graphics.

If I want to do more advanced stuff, I need a proper computer.

It's not because you can't process everything that it's not a computer.

19. unwinded, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2011

unwinded macrumors regular

Now that the iPad can be synced to a cloud (soon) it is one step closer to a laptop replacement but it still has a number of limitations that you'll want to have a computer laying around for. Luckily, despite the advances in hardware over the years, any old computer from the past 8 years or so will do fine when you need it for such tasks. This is the beginning of the end though!

20. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

to view multiple windows you could just hook it up to an external display. I doubt that a torrent client will ever be available (unless you jailbreak) but the adaptor to hook up a external drive would be useful. you could use it to backup your iPad of view content that cannot stay on your iPad.

21. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Put iOS 5 on a 23" desktop monitor, add system-wide printer support, a DVD-CD-BluRay drive on the side, keyboard and mouse support, and the same capabilities as most iMacs have and you'll have the perfect iPad. Most might mistake it for an iMac though. :D

22. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

That would not help. You still can have only one active window at the same time. As one said before comparing data between two documents becomes difficult.
    I also love my iPad as mail machine and notes taker in meetings. Once I climb up further in manager life where the job content change more towards document consumption instead of document production the iPad can replace a PC fully.

For me right now I still use often Citrix to connect to a remote Windows system using the stuff I need (damn, still in file production hierarchy)

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My needs are such that the iPad cannot replace a full computer.

I love how the iPad handles content consumption, it's lacking at least compared to a laptop in content creation. I frequently have multiple windows open working on multiple tasks. The online keyboard is lacking compared to a physical one and storage requirements are such that a laptop is a better tool for me :)

24. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Content creation is possible but the lack of multiple windows does offer a setback as for the lack of actual file system.

I wish my next computer could be an iPad with 128gb and iCloud.

25. erawsd macrumors 6502

Yeah but you could easily update that old thing to do those tasks. iOS just has certain things it can't do.

One thing that annoys me about iOS is how the productivity apps (even Apple's) tend to be heavily watered down. If an iPad is going to truly replace traditional PCs then the apps are going to have to be just as powerful.