Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NTeggerdine

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2011
Montrose Iowa
Does anyone here use the iPad as a full computer? The only thing the iPad misses so it replaces most of what I own is a torrent client and maybe a 30 pin connector to to usb hub adaptor.

What do you think?

Everything I use my laptop for I can do on my iPad 2. The only time I find myself on my laptop is when I absolutely have to access a flash site.

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
Also, you will not be able to view anything using flash...that may not be a bad thing necessarily, but it is a limitation right now.

It's a limitation alright, but I call it a good thing. Who actually uses Flash for anything other than games or video streaming? When you're not actually using it, it's using space on your computer that could be used for other things, probably even displaying annoying ads in your browser.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
It's a limitation alright, but I call it a good thing. Who actually uses Flash for anything other than games or video streaming? When you're not actually using it, it's using space on your computer that could be used for other things, probably even displaying annoying ads in your browser.

a lot of sites use flash, and without it you cannot access the content. it is frustrating, it sucks (even on a computer), but it is true. and, because the ipad doesn't even allow you the option, you really can't depend on it. unfortunately, i think it is pretty clear that steve could not care less about the inconvenience of customers when it comes to tilting at this windmill, so i don't expect this to change anytime soon. too bad.

in answer to the op's question, the ipad will do for a lot of tasks, and when i go on trips i try to just bring it. but, for just about anything serious, the ipad falls flat, because it lacks a way to create content. you can do first drafts of things, but editing is not so great. and, of course, anything that requires lots of processing power is out of the question, especially because you cannot multi-task. i suppose how much you get out of the ipad in this post pc world depends a lot on what you use it to accomplish.

paulro

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
Unfortunately, the majority of the business world still uses MS Office appliactions, which is just one of the reasons an ipad cannot replace a laptop/desktop.

Pages/numbers/QuickOffice etc etc can deal with simple office related tasks, but don't work very effectively.

I don't see that situation changing in the near future either.

Ipad is a great gadget and can do a lot of useful/entertaining things, but cannot be considered a laptop/desktop replacement in my opinion.

tstarks33

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Unfortunately, the majority of the business world still uses MS Office appliactions, which is just one of the reasons an ipad cannot replace a laptop/desktop.

Pages/numbers/QuickOffice etc etc can deal with simple office related tasks, but don't work very effectively.

I don't see that situation changing in the near future either.

Ipad is a great gadget and can do a lot of useful/entertaining things, but cannot be considered a laptop/desktop replacement in my opinion.

I feel exactly the same way. It's really not a replacement unless you do the most basic of tasks - surf and email. If you want to create anything, you need a computer. Yes, I understand that you CAN create on an ipad, but it's just very inefficient to do so. Hell, you can write a novel on an iphone if you wanted, but I don't think anyone is.

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
I said:

Those who want the iPad to be extended to meet their more extensive computing needs are almost certain to be disappointed. Not only would such extensions complicate life for the market above, the form factor required would almost certainly (at least with today's technology) make the iPad too large and heavy to be the highly portable device it is today.

You said:

Which features are you referring to?

Seems like for my computer needs a MBA with a streaming setup (iCloud or other) is all I need.

The features I was referring to include a more powerful processor, true multi-tasking, extended external storage, a screen with greater capacity (not just density), an adequate physical keyboard, etc.

In other words, the features that (as you note) are beginning to be available in some more expensive "ultraportables." But with those features come more heat (and the need for better cooling), a larger form factor, more battery capacity, more weight, etc. etc.

And with all of that you no longer have an iPad. What you have, as you've noted, is something along the lines of a MBA or (if you're looking for tablet functionality, as well) a Lenovo ThinkPad X220T.

I was simply pointing out that trying to extend the iPad's relatively simple functionality without transforming it into something else, altogether, is a bit like putting a pickup bed on a Mini.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
I'm thinking that when I'll be out of school, I'll sell my computers and just get an iPad.

RobesNo1

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
So you are publicly saying you know of better ways to pirate data. Who's the idiot again?

Sorry for dragging up this old thread but I've just seen this reply.

I'm sure there are qualified chemists who know many better ways to make crack cocaine than other people, but it doesn't mean they do it, does it!?

Ijustfarted

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
Almost but not yet. It will happen though once Apple
Merges ios5 and Mac OS
Discontinue the MacBook

Once this is done in the next few years the iPad will definitely be a full computer

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
Almost but not yet. It will happen though once Apple
Merges ios5 and Mac OS
Discontinue the MacBook

Once this is done in the next few years the iPad will definitely be a full computer

Brilliant business strategy. Discontinue a high profit product line in favor of a low profit line. Excellent idea.

Ijustfarted

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
Brilliant business strategy. Discontinue a high profit product line in favor of a low profit line. Excellent idea.

Hahaha thats so funny because it's almost like you're agreeing with me but your actually being sarcastic and calling me an idiot. Oh lawdy lawd you are one funny guy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.