Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Hello all, I was thinking about the whole laptop replacement thing.
My friend gifted me a ZAGG iPad Pro 11 keyboard laptop dohickey case because I had mentioned I was going to buy an iPad for art portfolio work. I was initially thinking of the base 64GB iPad but since getting the case opted for the 2018 iPad Pro 11 256 version with refurb + education discount because I take a whole 1 class a year.

I'm planning for this to be a compliment to my 2018 Mac Mini and HP Envy 13 laptop. I am transitioning away from all Adobe products and am getting more in tune with the Affinity line up. I haven't used iOS since maybe 9 on my old iPad Mini 4 which I gave to a friend.
What can I do with the USB C port? I have several hubs, can I plug in my Samsung T7 ssd and work from that on the go with my Affinity files? Can the iPad Pro handle large RAW and TIFF files?

What is the best "portfolio" app out there? I dont want to mix my art files with my personal photos in the Photos app.

Thanks!
Well, search is your friend :) but in all seriousness, use the 256Gb for the files you work on.
Use the T7 for files you want to carry with you, if you really want to do that. You can use Documents by Readdle as a finder alternative, or use the apple files.app. Both apps require you to get your brain in a twist because the workflow is different then on a Windows or Mac machine.
But also think about cloud storage if wifi/cel networks are reliable. It's easy, cheap and works, no need to haul around extra gear that flops around on a cable.

I'm not a desinger/photog/creative one, but photo's has it's disadvantages. Perhaps try Documents if you store in regular file formats like jpeg/png/tiff. But if you store in app specific formats like Affinity or ProCreate formats or PSD-and-the-likes you can only use the apps that open these formats.

The best advice I think I can give you is to learn to use the iPad and not try to replicate the workflow and behavior you are used to, but try to learn the new, effective ways to use iPadOS.
Sometimes it's worse (like handling many files, sorting large amounts of files into all kinds of different folders, renaming large batches of files). Often it's just different but at times it's also much more efficient when compared to a Mac or windows.

Reactions: ommachi and ericwn

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
Love my M1 iPad Pro 11. I am a Realtor and Property Manager, and my iPad Pro has completely replaced my MacBook Pro as my business device since November 2021. The iPad Pro is literally the perfect computer for what I do.

It was an easy decision for me to get rid of my 2019 MacBook Pro(hated the dang ribbon bar). I got the new M1 Mac Mini with 16gb ram for desktop, and a new M1 iPad Pro 11 for my mobile needs. I chose the 11” because the screen is big enough for doing work on, but still super portable. Paid less for the two of them together than I did for just my MBP. It's the perfect setup for me. I create and work with contracts, pdf's, and documents on a daily basis. It is so much easier, convenient, and more intuitive to use the iPad for the work I do. In fact, I would go so far as to say, in my opinion the laptop is limiting and cumbersome compared to the iPad Pro for the type of work I do. Jeeze, even the camera on it is good enough to use for most of the photos I need for a property listing. It streamlined my workflow, and has definitely made my work more fun.

Cloud storage is cheap nowadays, as is fast external storage. I got the M1 iPad Pro 11 with 256gb, but have 2TB iCloud+ for $10 month, 1TB of cloud storage with MS Office 365 and OneDrive. I also have 2TB of Google Drive storage for $10 a month. On top of that, I have a couple of external 1TB USB C SSD's, and a few USB 3.1 512GB flash drives. So, storage is not a problem. It easily runs any of the realty apps I need to use, so only 8gb ram is no problem. And, it has the same M1 processor the 1TB and up models have, so power is also not a problem.

Don't have the magic keyboard but bought the Logitech Combo Touch and I love it. It fully protects my iPad front, back, and edges. I can take the keyboard off, and it is still protected, and has a fully adjustable stand. The typing experience is excellent, and the keyboard has a large, very responsive, click anywhere trackpad. And, one of the things I love the most about it is, it has a full row of shortcut keys. I also bought an Apple Magic Trackpad 2, and an Apple Pencil 2, both of which are the best. I have a few choices for carry. First, is a small traditional laptop case with many zippered compartments. Second is a nice REI sling bag with lots of pockets and storage. Last is a small REI backpack with even more pockets and storage than the sling. I can carry all the accessories I need with any of my carry choices.

Working with a product that you like to use is an important key in business. No need for a dedicated camera or scanner anymore. I also use it for handwritten and typed notes, daily planning, task management, to-do's, email, web browsing, phone calls, messages, entertainment, reading books, play an occasional game, and the list goes on. I use a bunch of realty specific web apps and services but have a few others that I really like.

For note management I use Notes, OneNote, GoodNotes, and Noteful. I also use a Paperlike screen protector and my Apple Pencil 2 for a natural writing experience. For document management I use MS Office, and PDF Expert. For file management I use Files, iCloud+, FileBrowser, Tonido, OneDrive, and Google.

Now that I have used the iPad Pro for work, there is no going back to a laptop. The Apple ecosystem is the best. Everything just talks and works with each other seamlessly. As of right now, I have the Apple TV 4K/AirPod Pros/Apple Watch Series 6 44mm/iPhone 13 Pro Max 256GB/M1 iPad Pro 11 256GB/M1 Mac Mini 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD/2019 intel i9 2.3ghz 16gb 512gb 16" MacBook Pro(sold).

Really cool having an all in one that’s easy to use and light to carry for your business and personal needs, and now with iPadOS 16 and later, I can also use it as desktop setup with an external monitor. I will admit that iPad OS still has a way to go but has certainly come a long way from its humble beginnings. Been using Apple products since the mid 90’s. My first Apple computer was a Macintosh Color Classic in Jan. 1994. In the almost 30 years I have been using Apple products, I have had to take only one one thing to the Genius Bar. My iPhone 5 had a bad battery in it, and they replaced the phone with no problem. Not bad for 30 years and dozens of Apple products.

I am so glad Steve came back and saved Apple from the imminent death it was facing in 1997 and brought it back to the Apple we all know and love today. I'll admit that I actually cried when Steve Jobs passed away. Can't believe it's already been 11 years.

Steve_Jobs_RIP_Wide.png

Attachments

• IMG_1356.jpg
    IMG_1356.jpg
    710.1 KB · Views: 43
  • iPad Desktop Setup 8-25-2023.jpg
    iPad Desktop Setup 8-25-2023.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Love my M1 iPad Pro 11. I am a Realtor and Property Manager, and my iPad Pro has completely replaced my MacBook Pro as my business device. The iPad Pro is literally the perfect computer for what I do.

It was an easy decision for me to get rid of my 2019 MacBook Pro(hated the dang ribbon bar). I got the new M1 Mac Mini with 16gb ram for desktop, and a new 11" M1 iPad pro for my mobile purposes. I chose the 11” because the screen is big enough for doing work on, but still super portable. Paid less for the two of them together than I did for just my MBP. It's the perfect setup for me. I create and work with contracts, pdf's, and documents on a daily basis. It is so much easier, convenient, and more intuitive to use the iPad for the work I do. In fact, I would go so far as to say, in my opinion the laptop is limiting and cumbersome compared to the iPad Pro for the type of work I do. Jeeze, even the camera on it is good enough to use for most of the photos I need for a property listing. It streamlined my workflow, and has definitely made my work more fun.

Cloud storage is cheap nowadays, as is fast external storage. I got the M1 iPad Pro 11 with 256gb, but have 2TB iCloud+ for $10 month, 1TB of cloud storage with MS Office 365 and OneDrive. I also have 2TB of Google Drive storage for $10 a month. On top of that, I have a couple of external 1TB USB C SSD's, and a few USB 3.1 512GB flash drives. So, storage is not a problem. It easily runs any of the realty apps I need to use, so only 8gb ram is no problem. And, it has the same M1 processor the 1TB and up models have, so power is also not a problem.

Don't have the magic keyboard but bought the Logitech Combo Touch and I love it. I also bought a Logitech MX Anywhere 2s mouse, and an Apple Pencil 2, both of which are the best. I have a few choices for carry. First, is a small traditional laptop case with many zippered compartments. Second is a nice REI sling bag with lots of pockets and storage. Last is a small REI backpack with even more pockets and storage than the sling. I can carry all the accessories I need with any of my carry choices.

Working with a product that you like to use is an important key in business. No need for a dedicated camera or scanner anymore. I also use it for handwritten and typed notes, daily planning, task management, to-do's, email, web browsing, phone calls, messages, entertainment, reading books, play an occasional game, and the list goes on. I use a bunch of realty specific web apps and services but have a few others that I really like.

For note management I use Notes, OneNote, GoodNotes, and Noteful. I also use a Paperlike screen protector and my Apple Pencil 2 for a natural writing experience. For document management I use MS Office, and PDF Expert. For file management I use Files, iCloud+, FileBrowser, Tonido, OneDrive, and Google.

Now that I have used the iPad Pro for work, there is no going back to a laptop. The Apple ecosystem is the best. Everything just talks and works with each other seamlessly. As of right now, I have the Apple TV 4K/AirPod Pros/Apple Watch Series 6 44mm/iPhone 12 Pro Max 512GB/M1 iPad Pro 11 256GB/M1 Mac Mini 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD/2019 intel i9 2.3ghz 16gb 512gb 16" MacBook Pro(sold).

Really cool having an all in one that’s easy to use and light to carry for your business and personal needs. I will admit that iPad OS still has a way to go but has certainly come a long way from its humble beginnings. Been using Apple products since the mid 90’s. My first Apple computer was a Macintosh Color Classic in 1994. I am so glad Steve came back and saved Apple from the imminent death it was facing in 1997 and brought it back to the Apple we all know and love today. I'll admit that I actually cried when Steve Jobs passed away. Can't believe it's already been 10 years.

View attachment 1962588
Great post And thanks for sharing. I would agree with you pretty much across the board. I have been critical of iPadOS and Apple seemingly deliberately holding the iPad Pros back, but at the end of the day there is far more I love about my iPad Pro than dislike. I use my 12.9 iPad Pro with the Magic Keyboard and Apple Pencil 2 literally all day everyday as a medical student. It is such a productive device for me. Yeah the M1 feels a little wasted right now, certainly for my work flow, but the RAM is noticeable, and I’ll never complain about having too much performance. I look forward to Apple continuing to evolve iPadOS. It is dramatically better than it was in 2016 when I got my first 12.9 iPad Pro. Have subsequently had the 10.5. iPad Pro, 2018 12.9 iPad Pro, and now the 2021 12.9 iPad Pro and they’ve all been a joy to use and an incredible tool for me while I navigated undergrad, MCAT studying, and the past couple years of medical school. I will likely always own an iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Apple Pencil combo in whatever form that is. Just too well rounded for my needs.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Great post And thanks for sharing. I would agree with you pretty much across the board. I have been critical of iPadOS and Apple seemingly deliberately holding the iPad Pros back, but at the end of the day there is far more I love about my iPad Pro than dislike. I use my 12.9 iPad Pro with the Magic Keyboard and Apple Pencil 2 literally all day everyday as a medical student. It is such a productive device for me. Yeah the M1 feels a little wasted right now, certainly for my work flow, but the RAM is noticeable, and I’ll never complain about having too much performance. I look forward to Apple continuing to evolve iPadOS. It is dramatically better than it was in 2016 when I got my first 12.9 iPad Pro. Have subsequently had the 10.5. iPad Pro, 2018 12.9 iPad Pro, and now the 2021 12.9 iPad Pro and they’ve all been a joy to use and an incredible tool for me while I navigated undergrad, MCAT studying, and the past couple years of medical school. I will likely always own an iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Apple Pencil combo in whatever form that is. Just too well rounded for my needs.
This shows that Apple does not need to make the iPad pro more of a laptop replacement to keep selling it at least as they do now...(which means that iPadOS 16, 17, 18 etc. can be just like 14 and 15). There is a clear demand for the pro and magic keyboard as it is now. No need for Apple to "make full use" of M1, M2 etc. and risking cannibalizing the Mac, regardless of how much we would love that. Those that can turn it into their main/sole device as it is now are doing it anyway, all the others will keep buying alongside a MacBook or other laptop/desktop.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Those that can turn it into their main/sole device as it is now are doing it anyway, all the others will keep buying alongside a MacBook or other laptop/desktop.
Sure, but the point that many have been making in this thread that there are a lot of us that would LIKE to use an iPad for more, but currently CANNOT.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Sure, but the point that many have been making in this thread that there are a lot of us that would LIKE to use an iPad for more, but currently CANNOT.
Count me among them. I am definitely not one of those guys who say that the iPad is perfect as it is, don't change it, you could risk ruining my experience, bla bla bla.... What I am saying is that it's not because some users want it, however badly, that Apple is going to do it to make them happy, if they think that's not in their financial interest.
What I am saying here is that Apple can go on with the minimal update strategy of iPadOS 14 and 15, where the only real deal is the integration with the Mac (which I am sure Apple will try to push even further since that is in their financial interest), and people will keep buying iPad pro just like before. And thinking that Apple will have to make the iPad more of a laptop replacement because it uses the same hardware as their laptops, otherwise people are going to stop buying the pro, is delusional.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
Looks like Samsung was listening as the new Samsung S8 can launch into “desktop mode”.

The M1 12.9 iPad Pro should be able to switch to OS 12, for it to be a laptop replacement.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Looks like Samsung was listening as the new Samsung S8 can launch into “desktop mode”.

The M1 12.9 iPad Pro should be able to switch to OS 12, for it to be a laptop replacement.
Just because Samsung has dex that can mimic a desktop, doesn't mean it can run desktop software and replace a real laptop. Just means you can run Android mobile tablet apps in a windows type environment.

And then there's this....

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Just because Samsung has dex that can mimic a desktop, doesn't mean it can run desktop software and replace a real laptop. Just means you can run Android mobile tablet apps in a windows type environment.

And then there's this....

Honestly that comparison was pretty biased... And by the way I am running dex right now with an external monitor. I am remoting into my desktop on the external monitor and I am still able to use my S8 Ultra. When I do this with iPad pro and Jump desktop I can no longer use the iPad pro while I remote, since I need the screen of the iPad to control the external monitor (because in the end it's just mirroring). Just an example of how dex allows you to do more...

Reactions: bondr006

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Honestly that comparison was pretty biased... And by the way I am running dex right now with an external monitor. I am remoting into my desktop on the external monitor and I am still able to use my S8 Ultra. When I do this with iPad pro and Jump desktop I can no longer use the iPad pro while I remote, since I need the screen of the iPad to control the external monitor (because in the end it's just mirroring). Just an example of how dex allows you to do more...
While I’m not usually a big fan of Max Tech videos, that one seemed pretty evenly balanced. There really wasn’t anything subjective about the comparison. The performance numbers are pretty incontrovertible and the disparity in sound and display quality was pretty evident as well. He showed an example where the iPad Pro blooming was a problem and discussed the lack of flexibility in the iPad Pro software.

What part of that struck you as biased?

Last edited:

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I actually use my iPad mini just like this. Not ripping on Dex—I’ve never tried it and never will, so I have no opinion there.

But I do often hook my iPad mini to my large USB-C monitor and use it with keyboard and mouse either with sidecar or as its own machine. It’s like an iPad Pro minus the touch screen.

People underestimate how useful this can be. Really any device that change hats like this is a great option in a pinch.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
What part of his comparison was biased? He pointed out the pros and cons for both devices. It was a pretty straight forward comparison that showed how much more efficient iPad OS and M1 chip are compared to Android and Snap Dragon. It is not biased to point out fact. And yes, Dex is pretty cool. Wish we had something similar on iPad OS. But the fact still remains that even though it looks like windows, it is still running Android mobile apps in a windows type environment. Doesn't make it any more of a laptop replacement than the iPad until it gets pro apps like we want for iPad OS.

Like @DeepSix in another thread we are participating in, I don't have time for TV and movies and just don't need a device that is made primarily for that. My favorite form of entertainment is and always will be music, which my iPhone and iPad are quite good at doing. I can pretty much listen to music anytime, anywhere, whether at my desk working or out and about with my AirPod Pros.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdb8167

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
While I’m not usually a big fan of Mac Tech videos, that one seemed pretty evenly balanced. There really wasn’t anything subjective about the comparison. The performance numbers are pretty incontrovertible and the disparity in sound and display quality was pretty evident as well. He showed an example where the iPad Pro blooming was a problem and discussed the lack of flexibility in the iPad Pro software.

What part of that struck you as biased?
I am a generally a Max Tech fan instead. Biased was probably not the right word here. The issue is that biased Apple fans use these comparisons to say how much better iPad pro is than Samsung flagships. It's like how much better is the Ferrari compared to another car when both run in city traffic... In my opinions all the benchmarks where the M1 iPad wins (CPU, storage, etc.) make little difference in the vast majority of uses other than RAM (for less reloads) compared to something like the entry level iPad, whose performance is much more in line with the S8. And the main reason is the many limitations of iPadOS. I have no doubt that if you take the A13 in the iPad 9 and put it into the 12.9in iPad pro with 8GB RAM and sell it for several hundreds dollar less, most people would be more than happy to pay less and still get all the rest. And they would not say "oh but that's an inferior device!" but rather, "that's a better deal..." Sure some people will say they have found all the use cases to take full advantage of M1, but for most people it's far from used fully and A13 or A12X speed is plenty, only RAM is lacking in those SOC.
I have A12X with both 4GB RAM and 6GB RAM in my 2 iPad pro and they have slightly better multicore speed than my S8 ultra. But I can put the performance of the ultra to much better use by being able to do much more, especially if I connect an external monitor.
The speaker differences are strange, they have probably improved them the M1 12.9 as my old S7+ definitely sounded slightly louder and fuller than the 2018 12.9 pro, and I doubt they made the S8+ sound worse than the S7+, but everything is possible...). And they sounded even fuller compared to the 11in pro, and I doubt many would complain about those either, even is the 12.9 sounds a bit fuller. So not a big deal in my opinion.
I tend to agree with the screen, I would take miniled over oled, but the truth is that they are both very good, and personally I am one of those who don't care, even the regular LCD iPad pro screen is fine with me, and I put an antiglare screen protector anyway...
So the reality is that things are not as black or white as those performance numbers suggest.
The user experience can be better in one or the other device depending on priorities, even without considering the price difference. And to be precise, I am not implying that the Samsung is the better device, as both have their advantages and that's why I have both, the only thing is that in my case I considered that the money to upgrade to the M1 pro was not worth it and was better put towards upgrading to the ultra (from the S7+).

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I actually use my iPad mini just like this. Not ripping on Dex—I’ve never tried it and never will, so I have no opinion there.

But I do often hook my iPad mini to my large USB-C monitor and use it with keyboard and mouse either with sidecar or as its own machine. It’s like an iPad Pro minus the touch screen.

People underestimate how useful this can be. Really any device that change hats like this is a great option in a pinch.
I don't think you can compare sidecar to dex. You need a Mac to use sidecar. I can use Second Screen (built into Samsung) or the even better Superdisplay to have a sidecar experience with Windows where I can also use the touchscreen...
By the way I do use sidecar, but I also use duet, which lets me use the touchscreen too (and works with Windows too)

If only Apple wanted they could make a much better version of dex, where you can still use the iPad as a tablet but use MacOS instead of dex on the external monitor (that will never happen of course).

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I don't think you can compare sidecar to dex. You need a Mac to use sidecar. I can use Second Screen (built into Samsung) or the even better Superdisplay to have a sidecar experience with Windows where I can also use the touchscreen...
By the way I do use sidecar, but I also use duet, which lets me use the touchscreen too (and works with Windows too)

If only Apple wanted they could make a much better version of dex, where you can still use the iPad as a tablet but use MacOS instead of dex on the external monitor (that will never happen of course).
I’m…….not. I was actually complementing Dex’s utility sight unseen. I said I ALSO use the iPad on the monitor with keyboard and mouse, which kind of turns it into a giant iPad Pro without the touchscreen.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I’m…….not. I was actually complementing Dex’s utility sight unseen. I said I ALSO use the iPad on the monitor with keyboard and mouse, which kind of turns it into a giant iPad Pro without the touchscreen.
So you use iPadOS on a large display? I have tried it with my 3:2 28in display thinking that with a good aspect ratio it could be nice, but it looks horrible, giant icons, fonts etc. that do not scale to the display

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Weird - I don't see that connected to a 24" 4K display. Except for the aspect ratio, it looks good.
maybe it's a 16:9 display which at 24in makes it much smaller, 28in with the proper aspect ratio makes it way bigger, icons are as big as half of an airpods case...

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
So you use iPadOS on a large display? I have tried it with my 3:2 28in display thinking that with a good aspect ratio it could be nice, but it looks horrible, giant icons, fonts etc. that do not scale to the display
It's not ideal, but yes, I do use it on my LG UltraFine 4K sometimes. It doesn't always make good use of the space, but is sometimes just easier if my Mac isn't booted up and the iPad is already in my hands.

PandaPunch

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
So, things have recently changed for me. I've gotten myself an M1 Mac Mini about two weeks ago. I've also gotten some smart outlets which as also changed how I use the iPad as well.

I can only speak for myself, but after setting up my Mac and using a lot of the same apps on both my iPad and Mac Mini, I can't really see myself ever getting a laptop now. If anything if I ever get the money to do so, I think I'll upgrade my iPad to an iPad Air 4 or whatever it is by the time I buy another one. As I've said before the Mac/PC and iPad are two different form factors, the two can both do similar tasks but each form factor is useful in different situations/workflows.

I like my Mac and iPad equally, that said because I have a lot of the same apps on both, features like Handoff and iCloud Sync have blurred the line between all of my Apple devices more than ever. And that line was already blurred a lot to begin with. I think that was a big reason why laptops weren't appealing to me, even if I could see some of the benefits have getting a device that has a screen, webcam, desktop grade software and is portable. If I have a PC or Mac doing the most of the heavy lifting, I have no need for a laptop.

With that form factor discussion in mind, I have specific tasks that are only for one specific form factor. For example, music and podcasts go on the iPhone or hanging out on Discord/forums only on the Mac or reading comics and other things like that on the iPad.

But yea, I think if someone needs a portable device that has the power of the desktop with the software to boot, then please, just skip the iPad. Otherwise, I still consider the iPad to be extremely neat and useful. If I could think of one improvement to the iPad, I wish Apple would allow you to make your Mac Mini/iMac as a smarthome hub as opposed to your iPad.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2021
I haven't needed a laptop for a while now. I used to think I needed it for making my graphics, but I learned how to use Affinity Photo on the iPad Pro and I'm doing better work on it than I was on Paint Shop Pro on a Windows laptop. The iPad Pro has been my go-to device for years and I haven't been able to find anything that quite matches up to it. It satisfies all of my computing needs. There's absolutely nothing I need a laptop for anymore, and I'm happy to say that.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Love my M1 iPad Pro 11. I am a Realtor and Property Manager, and my iPad Pro has completely replaced my MacBook Pro as my business device. The iPad Pro is literally the perfect computer for what I do.

It was an easy decision for me to get rid of my 2019 MacBook Pro(hated the dang ribbon bar). I got the new M1 Mac Mini with 16gb ram for desktop, and a new M1 iPad Pro 11 for my mobile needs. I chose the 11” because the screen is big enough for doing work on, but still super portable. Paid less for the two of them together than I did for just my MBP. It's the perfect setup for me. I create and work with contracts, pdf's, and documents on a daily basis. It is so much easier, convenient, and more intuitive to use the iPad for the work I do. In fact, I would go so far as to say, in my opinion the laptop is limiting and cumbersome compared to the iPad Pro for the type of work I do. Jeeze, even the camera on it is good enough to use for most of the photos I need for a property listing. It streamlined my workflow, and has definitely made my work more fun.

Don't have the magic keyboard but bought the Logitech Combo Touch and I love it. It fully protects my iPad front, back, and edges. I can take the keyboard off, and it is still protected, and has a fully adjustable stand. The typing experience is excellent, and the keyboard has a large, very responsive, click anywhere trackpad. And, one of the things I love the most about it is, it has a full row of shortcut keys. I also bought a Logitech MX Anywhere 2s mouse, and an Apple Pencil 2, both of which are the best. I have a few choices for carry. First, is a small traditional laptop case with many zippered compartments. Second is a nice REI sling bag with lots of pockets and storage. Last is a small REI backpack with even more pockets and storage than the sling. I can carry all the accessories I need with any of my carry choices.

Now that I have used the iPad Pro for work, there is no going back to a laptop. The Apple ecosystem is the best. Everything just talks and works with each other seamlessly. As of right now, I have the Apple TV 4K/AirPod Pros/Apple Watch Series 6 44mm/iPhone 12 Pro Max 512GB/M1 iPad Pro 11 256GB/M1 Mac Mini 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD/2019 intel i9 2.3ghz 16gb 512gb 16" MacBook Pro(sold).

Really cool having an all in one that’s easy to use and light to carry for your business and personal needs. I will admit that iPad OS still has a way to go but has certainly come a long way from its humble beginnings. Been using Apple products since the mid 90’s. My first Apple computer was a Macintosh Color Classic in Jan. 1994. In the almost 30 years I have been using Apple products, I have had to take only one one thing to the Genius Bar. My iPhone 5 had a bad battery in it, and they replaced the phone with no problem. My avatar picture is what is left of my collection of the Apple stickers I haven't given away. Still have about half of them. Not bad for 30 years and dozens of Apple products.

I am so glad Steve came back and saved Apple from the imminent death it was facing in 1997 and brought it back to the Apple we all know and love today. I'll admit that I actually cried when Steve Jobs passed away. Can't believe it's already been 10 years.

View attachment 1962588

Excellent post!

Like yourself and a few others in this thread … I too have an iPad Pro 11” and I’m looking for the 2022 Mac Mini of decent power to be my personal workstation.

When OS X launched I noticed that iconic ‘poof’ when dragging an app out of the dock completely resembled the Apple Newton device when you used ‘scribble’ to delete an entered word. Cool. Someone long ago in a forgotten thread here showed the video of The Navigator concept … precisely what the iPad OG was supposed to be, a powerful, modern computing assistant capable for most needs to replace a traditional computer for traditional tasks.

It was all there back in 1987:
some 14” colour screen,
no keyboard, mouse or monitor required,
a HUGE front facing camera,
wireless internet/networking,
a voice controlled digital assistant that can help you open apps, make calls, read emails, update contacts, reach out to find things on the internet.
^ folks re-read all of this again: 1987!
Think of all this for a moment, Apple had conceptualized the iPad in 1987 complete with camera, wireless internet access, and an AI that with a face resembled a male Siri over a decade before Siri was even created!!

Then when Michael Tchao returned to Apple in 2008/9, as VP of iPad Marketing, featured and headed the iPad Pro OG I recalled that name, searched the internet an realize damn the iPad is really going places and going beyond Apple’s original Navigator concept.
Wikipedia: In September 2009, Michael Tchao, who pitched the original Newton concept to John Sculley,[46] returned to Apple.[47] Michael Tchao is now the VP of iPad Product Marketing.[48]

I’ll be like a child Xmas Eve waiting what Apple announces tomorrow related to the Mac Mini to be the main personal workstation for home that my iPad Pro can be a companion to.

• Love

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I haven't needed a laptop for a while now. I used to think I needed it for making my graphics, but I learned how to use Affinity Photo on the iPad Pro and I'm doing better work on it than I was on Paint Shop Pro on a Windows laptop. The iPad Pro has been my go-to device for years and I haven't been able to find anything that quite matches up to it. It satisfies all of my computing needs. There's absolutely nothing I need a laptop for anymore, and I'm happy to say that.
Same. I find all three of the Affinity apps to be a lot more fluid and natural w Apple Pencil. I have them on my Mac too, but it just feels weird to use them there when it’s so much better on iPad.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
Get a laptop is my advice ,iPads are great for surfing the web , gaming and basic emails , everything else just go MacOS , it’s in another league in every way imaginable

My iPad Pro 12.9 is definitely the last iPad I’ll ever buy until there’s a drastic overhaul of iPadOS , great hardware , Shame about the software .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.