Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
There’s an app for that (as there should be on a tablet) and it’s called Adobe Fill & Sign...

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
There’s an app for that (as there should be on a tablet) and it’s called Adobe Fill & Sign...

Is this in reply to my post? I don't need to sign the (tax) forms. I just need to download them and the way the website linked it (not a simple link, probably in JavaScript) doesn't work on iOS. I blame that on the website developer but that doesn't change the fact that I needed a desktop OS of some sort to download.

Maybe if Apple allowed full Chrome and Firefox with their own rendering and JavaScript engines on iOS instead of using the same one as Safari, it would've worked.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Is this in reply to my post? I don't need to sign the (tax) forms. I just need to download them and the way the website linked it (not a simple link, probably in JavaScript) doesn't work on iOS. I blame that on the website developer but that doesn't change the fact that I needed a desktop OS of some sort to download.

Maybe if Apple allowed full Chrome and Firefox with their own rendering and JavaScript engines on iOS instead of using the same one as Safari, it would've worked.
Did you try to switch from desktop to mobile mode in Safari (or vice versa) to download?

Reactions: Zazoh

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Did you try to switch from desktop to mobile mode in Safari (or vice versa) to download?

I tried to view/download on two devices. iPhone in mobile mode and iPad in desktop mode (didn't work) before switching to the ancient Windows 7 laptop.

P.S.
Seems the site just doesn't play nice with Safari. I tried it on Safari with my M1 MBA and it just opened an empty page with url starting with blob:null/. Using Firefox on the MBA worked fine and opened the form with url blob:https://

Last edited:

swarmofbees

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2021
Hey everyone.

I have a laptop for work and currently I don't own a personal computer since my last one gave it's soul to the creator.

I'm thinking about grabbing an iPad, I have investigated and I have EVERYTHING covered on my usage apart from one thing: Torrents.

I have multiple streaming services: Netflix, HBO, Disney, Prime. But some older movies, etc are never available ANYWHERE. That's why I need torrenting.

Is there any solution to this?

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
I have multiple streaming services: Netflix, HBO, Disney, Prime. But some older movies, etc are never available ANYWHERE. That's why I need torrenting. Is there any solution to this?

One solution (and I swear I don't mean this in a snarky way) is that you can simply recognize that you don't need to watch any specific older movie that is unavailable from streaming services. You want to watch that content. You don't need to.

But, if that's not a satisfying answer, I think the next best bet would be to buy some super-cheap virtual server from somewhere like Linode and run a torrent client there. I think you'll find that iOS in general is not well equipped to provide a useful torrent experience for you without tremendous compromises and challenges.

If I were in your situation I'd buy the cheapest linux VPS I could find, install Blink on my iPad, and do all the heavy lifting in Linux where it's mature and well-supported. But, really, I try to just maintain a sense of perspective when I am looking for some specific piece of entertainment that I want to watch and I am thwarted by the marketplace. There's too much good, new content out there that I haven't already seen.

Last edited:

Jon89@

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2021
Hello all, so I am looking to upgrade my iPad pro 10.5 I really like that I can use the pencil for notes for school ect. I will be getting into the nursing program in the next year. I was looking at the 12.9 with magic keyboard. Am I better off keeping my iPad and getting macbook air?

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Hello all, so I am looking to upgrade my iPad pro 10.5 I really like that I can use the pencil for notes for school ect. I will be getting into the nursing program in the next year. I was looking at the 12.9 with magic keyboard. Am I better off keeping my iPad and getting macbook air?
Yes

Zazoh

macrumors 65832
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
What if I was to trade in my 10.5? Go w macbook air or ipad 12.9 w magic keyboard

If you need pencil, there is only one way to go. If you can do all you need with iPadOS software, then that further bolsters your decision.

The magic keyboard is expensive. And it ties usage to typing in Landscape only, when typing documents portrait is superior, if you have a stand that supports it. For that reason, I've always used an external Mac Keyboard, the white one, when typing for long periods on the iPad.

iPadOS also supports mouse and trackpad so to me that is your decision. Do you want the Magic Keyboard with it's built in portability, or are you fine with external devices.

Jon89@

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2021
I am looking for something that I can replacement for a laptop, how is the stability of the keyboard on the lap, also is it better to wait for a new version of the iPad pro

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
I am looking for something that I can replacement for a laptop, how is the stability of the keyboard on the lap, also is it better to wait for a new version of the iPad pro
I used the MK on my lap all yesterday and it was fine, it's a little top heavy but didn't effect my usage.

Jon89@

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2021
I got the ipad pro w mk, since iam a nursing major, I like the fact I can write notes right on the anatomical power points and so on

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The magic keyboard is expensive. And it ties usage to typing in Landscape only, when typing documents portrait is superior, if you have a stand that supports it. For that reason, I've always used an external Mac Keyboard, the white one, when typing for long periods on the iPad.
I agree. I have a stand.. that can alternate in various angles. And when the Magic Keyboard was announced, I considered. But the disadvantage of being locked in one orientation wasn’t appealing to me. I have an external iPad-specific keyboard and the MM2.

The MM2 doesn’t get much praise compared to the trackpad... but it’s still a buttery smooth experience on iPadOS.

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
The MK is expensive - absolutely agree but... it transforms the iPad. Is it worth the price - not for the physical amount you get but it is for how much more capable the iPad is with it.

I had an iPad 2 with a keyboard and was doing a lot of writing documents and found it useful, now with trackpad support and it’s form factor builds on that a lot. I am sitting here with it on my lap typing away easily with no balance issues, it auto dims so watching films is great. The hinge means it’s footprint is small.

Jon89@

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2021
The MK is expensive - absolutely agree but... it transforms the iPad. Is it worth the price - not for the physical amount you get but it is for how much more capable the iPad is with it.

I had an iPad 2 with a keyboard and was doing a lot of writing documents and found it useful, now with trackpad support and it’s form factor builds on that a lot. I am sitting here with it on my lap typing away easily with no balance issues, it auto dims so watching films is great. The hinge means it’s footprint is small.
Perfect, so my choice was a good one! 12.9. W MK and apple pencil

mtnbikerva1

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
The Logitech keyboard is what I am using to type this on my IPad. It has a quality trackpad and is much better protection for the IPad. Mine is protected on all sides now. Is less expensive also.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
pabv7b45b4f61.jpg

So ShadowPC has brought new life to my iPad Pro 2018. Used this as my "work laptop" during the day running Microsoft Office 365 during the day and it handled it like a champ. After hours, played some Shadow of Tomb Raider and it was close to running a local PC as it gets. And yes right click does work using two finger press on the track pad!

Also had this running on my M1 Mac and it's definitely a nice alternative to Parallels if you need to run x86 applications. If you have a decent internet connection available at all times, I feel it runs better than Parallels especially on games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.