Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stripedsnake

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Santa Barbara, CA
Looking for a nice bag for my iPad 2 that will fit a few accessories - I've looked but can't quite find what im looking for.

iPad 2 is in a Switcheasy Canvas case - which btw is the perfect case for a mix of protection/bulk.

My goal is to fit my iPad 2 in its Switcheasy case, the charger/cable, magazine or 2, point and shoot Canon, and most importantly my Beats SoloHD's in their case.

The headphones are the hardest part to fit in at this point - nothing looks to have the girth to allow a set of over the ear headphones.

I REALLY don't like the timbuktu designed cases - both from a protection standpoint but also a design perspective.

Anyone have a bag that fits the above?

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
I bought the Waterfield 10.5" Personal Muzetto Bag for my iPad 1 and still use it for my iPad2. I also got their Smart Case for the iPad and it fits in the Muzetto Bag quite nicely so I would imagine that your Switcheasy case should fit nicely also.

These bags are a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for, to say that they are top quality is putting it mildly. They far exceed your expectations. I've used mine daily for a year with no sign of usage on it.

Also you will have to be patient, I notice that they are now taking orders for a June 15 shipping. But good things come to those who wait.

You can see a short video at their web site which will show what other stuff you can put in the bag as well. I use mine pretty much as you see in the video.

http://www.sfbags.com/products/muzetto/muzetto.php

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
$180 minimum for a bag? Do you get a hoof-stamped photograph of the cow whose hide went into the leather?

Last edited:

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Well, when Apple charges $70+tax for a colored flap of hide, then a full featured quality leather bag at $180 might seem like a bargain to many unknowing buyers of the Apple smart cover..

splogue

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Cary, NC
I have a Grove case on order. In the meantime, I'm using a BodyGuardz back film, an SGP UO screen protector, and a really cheap netbook case from CaseMate that actually works pretty darn well.

I'll be honest, the Waterfield cases look spectacular. If I were travelling with my iPad, I'd have more than one on pre-order right now. The Tom Bihn cases are high-end contenders too, but lack the leather (which has both positives and negatives).

I love the look of the Muzetto. If Indiana Jones had a case today, that might just be the one.

But, I'm hesitating because I'm just not sure if I would use it enough. On the other hand, without a case that fits my bluetooth keyboard, I'm not sure I'll be able to get enough use out of *that.*

Ah, the arguments we make to ourselves to buy things we really don't need...

Sean

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
Looking for a nice bag for my iPad 2 that will fit a few accessories - I've looked but can't quite find what im looking for.

iPad 2 is in a Switcheasy Canvas case - which btw is the perfect case for a mix of protection/bulk.

My goal is to fit my iPad 2 in its Switcheasy case, the charger/cable, magazine or 2, point and shoot Canon, and most importantly my Beats SoloHD's in their case.

The headphones are the hardest part to fit in at this point - nothing looks to have the girth to allow a set of over the ear headphones.

I REALLY don't like the timbuktu designed cases - both from a protection standpoint but also a design perspective.

Anyone have a bag that fits the above?

What is your budget?

There are some really nice bags out there not specifically designed for iPads, but fit everything you mention. Most are messenger bag style. At least those are the ones I have looked at.

I have a 11x12x2 messenger bag which can hold my iPad, BT keyboard, small moleskin notebook, a few pens, stylus, 2 cell phones, P&S camera, etc.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I apologise for hijacking the thread. I thought rather start another general thread about bags I would just post in this one as my question is very similar.

I'm looking for a messenger bag with a padded compartment preferably for an iPad but one for a laptop will suffice if it's for a 11"-13". It has to be made of leather with a leather strap. It needs to have at least 2 main compartments and at 2 to 4 small compartments. An outside pocket on the back or front would be nice. It needs to be of an horizontal orientation. I would prefer it to be in tan or dark brown although black is acceptable. It needs to be preferably under $300. I live in the UK so ordering from the US is not easy but for the right bag I'm willing to do so if need be. I know this is a lot to ask but this is what best fits my needs and wants.

Again I apologise for hijacking the thread.

Phil Lee

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2008
Manchester, UK
I love my Tom Bihn Ristretto. I can fit my iPad 2, Kindle, iPhone 4 and Canon PowerShot S95 in it with no problem along with a small case with cables and chargers and other bits and bobs. I can also fit my Sennheiser PX200ii in when needed.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Having looked at http://www.saddlebackleather.com I"m inclined to go with them even though they are more then what I was looking to pay. I'm looking at $400-500 including shipping. If I do I'm not sure whether to go with the satchel, messenger bag or laptop bag. Whilst I have a MacBook Air it's unlikely I will be travelling with that any more although it would be nice to be able to accommodate that. I figure if the bag is going to last a long time then maybe the expense is worth it. I think I may email them for more info.

stripedsnake

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Santa Barbara, CA
While the Osprey fits what I need, the styling is less than desireable - its a good outdoorsy bag, but I need something professional for work.

That Opt leather bag is FAR too small to fit over the ear headphones.
THAT IS WHAT I NEED THE MOST!

Id be willing to spend $100 or so - considering the bag for my MBP was about that much, I dont feel like spending more for a smaller bag.
I want something designed for the general size of the iPad - but not something big enough for an actual laptop - defeats the purpose as I already have numerous laptop bags.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I love my Tom Bihn Ristretto. I can fit my iPad 2, Kindle, iPhone 4 and Canon PowerShot S95 in it with no problem along with a small case with cables and chargers and other bits and bobs. I can also fit my Sennheiser PX200ii in when needed.

I second the Ristretto. Currently visiting family and it served as my carry on very well. Pretty much carried a similar load... iPad 2, Kindle, cell phone, digital camera, a Tom Bihn accessory bag with essential cables. I also used the back slash pocket for quick access to boarding passes and other travel documents.

sandydlc

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
Having looked at http://www.saddlebackleather.com I"m inclined to go with them even though they are more then what I was looking to pay. I'm looking at $400-500 including shipping. If I do I'm not sure whether to go with the satchel, messenger bag or laptop bag. Whilst I have a MacBook Air it's unlikely I will be travelling with that any more although it would be nice to be able to accommodate that. I figure if the bag is going to last a long time then maybe the expense is worth it. I think I may email them for more info.

I highly recommend the saddleback products. I have the large satchel and use it to carry my ipad2 and my MacBook air 11". I still have plenty of room for my Bose headphones, large wallet and other accessories. My satchel has just gotten better with use. The leather is gorgeous and gets softer the more I use it. With a 100 year guarantee - you can't go wrong with a Saddleback product.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I highly recommend the saddleback products. I have the large satchel and use it to carry my ipad2 and my MacBook air 11". I still have plenty of room for my Bose headphones, large wallet and other accessories. My satchel has just gotten better with use. The leather is gorgeous and gets softer the more I use it. With a 100 year guarantee - you can't go wrong with a Saddleback product.

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering whether to go for the messenger bag, large satchel or medium laptop/briefcase. I did send them an email today to get their opinion. I am inclined to go with the large satchel. Hopefully it will fit my needs as outlined in my post above. The medium laptop/briefcase seems a bit to large and the messenger bag doesn't seem to have as much storage space as the large satchel. It's a lot of money especially with delivery to the UK for the large satchel being $83.88 bringing the total cost to $423.88 or approximately £260. I'm still a bit confused about the difference between the large satchel and the messenger bag.

sandydlc

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
@Mr C. - I don't own one but I understand the messenger is larger than the satchel. The specifications/measurements are on the Saddleback website and that should help you. You can also go to the Saddleback Leather fan page on facebook where they have a pretty great community of fan who can answer questions too. Good luck!

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
@Mr C. - I don't own one but I understand the messenger is larger than the satchel. The specifications/measurements are on the Saddleback website and that should help you. You can also go to the Saddleback Leather fan page on facebook where they have a pretty great community of fan who can answer questions too. Good luck!

Thanks. I did have a look at the dimensions and the messenger is 3 inches taller but about 0.25 inches narrower. The satchel is however 1.75 inches deeper. The satchel only weighs only 3 lbs whilst the messenger weighs 5 lbs. I think dept and width is more important to me then height as it should allow me to fit more in. The iPad fitting is more important then the MacBook Air but it looks like that might just fit ok anyway. The satchel weighing 40% less then the messenger also makes a difference. I will check the Facebook page to get some more opinions. Thanks again.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
For stripedsnake--have you checked on http://www.etsy.com? While a lot of the stuff on there is geared towards women, a lot isn't (especially among the leather workers), and many of the vendors will custom make a bag that fits your required dimensions.

I had one made last year that was sized exactly to fit the ipad1 along with the Apple Wireless keyboard and a bunch of other stuff. The vendor had no problems working with my exact measurements, requests for different pockets, etc., and turnaround time was a week. The quality was as good or better than anything I could find in a store at the time, and it was unique.

Might be worth a try if you're not finding anything that works for you in the standard retail chain.

stripedsnake

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Santa Barbara, CA
Only problem is most of the leather goods are too far out of my price range - and a custom item would be more than standard goods.

I'm starting to grow fond of the Tom Binh but im concerned about space, so until I hear from someone thats actually putting a pair of over the ear headphones in with some other item's, I'm hesitant to pull the trigger.

sandydlc

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
Keep an eye on the Saddleback facebook page. There are often used bags available for sale that are great deals. Also, on the Saddleback website the Dave's Deals page has bags with slight imperfections at a great price. The trick is to check both sites early and often to get the best choice.

oakie

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
seattle
i'm currently using a Booq Taipan Shadow S. i've had it for a few months to use with my macbook air 13 and it has a pocket specifically for iPad. the front pocket is also expandable, which gives me enough room to carry my nikon D200 using a padded divider i got from BBP. the bag itself is under $100.

http://www.booqbags.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.