iPad Board Game

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mrgreen4242, Feb 9, 2010.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Saw this on Reddit a little bit ago... there was a lot of talk about the iPad being fun for board games and at least one developer is planning on trying that out.

www.gametableapp.com

2. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I'm curious.... is the back of the ipad curved?

If it doesn't lay flat on a table, all the board games planned will have to come with a little frame to stabilize the ipad when layed down on its back.

3. vini-vidi-vici macrumors 6502

It's only curved slightly. You can put it on a piece of cloth - problem solved.

4. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Yes, apparently the iPad isn't very stable lying on it's back (which I agree is a design flaw), but I for one will be putting it in a case which will likely provide enough stability for true table top gaming. Alternatively, I see some of this being more a pass and play style gaming.

I suppose we'll have to see after it's released how well it lends itself to things like this. I think it looks promising, tho!

5. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

If it rocks, and has a g-sensor to detect that rocking, that "feature" can be employed in any game. I can see a pinball game you can bump and possibly TILT. ;)

6. vini-vidi-vici macrumors 6502

This is exactly the kind of thing that makes the iPad very different than other devices. It's a social device. You can't do this well with an iPhone or a laptop.

I hope they add a cribbage board to it! :)

7. samcraig macrumors P6

We resent the implication that size matters and that an iPhone's screen can't be used by more than one person

[​IMG]

8. thejakill macrumors 6502

thejakill

9. tyrant macrumors newbie

+2

10. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

...What's wrong with a "real" boardgame, where you need a programmed one?

11. Sketh macrumors 6502

Sketh

I suppose the argument could be made that real boardgames have easily lost pieces, lack a CPU opponent, and also normally don't include more than one game at a price of .99 Cents.

12. jeznav macrumors 6502

You don't lose any pieces.

13. cwubbels macrumors regular

cwubbels

You don't have to set it up, or take it down. For Monopoly in particular I found this nice on the iPhone app. I no longer have to be the banker, make sure everyone puts their money in the middle, hand out $200 everytime somone passes go etc...

Yes that is a function of me being lazy and yes I am okay with it.

14. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

My first thought was "well, for $.99 I will never have to buy another card game, plus I get checkers and chess.

Also, playing in the car with something like this will be 1,000,000x better than actual cards/checkers/chess.

Lastly it'll be interesting to see if you can pull out random pieces from the game or if you will be limited to one set at a time. I can see kids (and adults) making up new games, especially if they add dice.

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Nothing is wrong with a real board game. With the iPad, however, you can have just about every board game ever conceived--all in one device.

16. bossxii macrumors 68000

I guess my take on it is the simple fact if I am going to a friends house, it's much easier to travel with the iPad with 10 or xx options than even 2 or 3 boxed up board games. :)

17. thejakill macrumors 6502

thejakill

all the above reasons, plus you could play against a computer or against a friend in a far off locale.

18. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

I recently read that you may be able to use your iPhone and iPod Touch as controllers for the central iPad game you're playing - eg: entering moves in a strategy game.

Now that sounds promising! Can you imagine all the possibilities?

19. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I think the ipad can be great for some board games, but others it still is lacking. The main area its lacking is a number of board games have a secretive element, such as scrabble. In scrabble you hide your pieces from everyone, so therefore that would no work well on an ipad, since everyone can see the screen. The same for playing a number of cards games, including poker. I guess you can overcome that if the game play is "pass and play" and you only look at the screen when its your turn, but then its not as fun as having an entire board spread out in front of everyone. Therefore I think some board games will not work well on the ipad.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

"Party" games will work well. Esp with multi-touch. Think of a situation/game where it's predicated on the idea that the first person to "buzz" in takes their guess. On the iPad - this concept works well.

Monopoly would work very well. Backgammon, Chess. Games like airhockey, tennis, etc

21. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

As I described above, Scrabble was one of the games mentioned as being able to take advantage of using your iPhone/iPod Touch as an adjunct to the iPad - - each player sees only there own tiles on their iPhone while the iPad acts as the central board.

22. Robin4 macrumors 6502

23. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Bingo... I think this is a pretty cool idea......

Risk
    Stratigo
    One player battle ship
    Monopoly
    Chess
    Checkers

Interesting idea.... Hmm

24. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

are you for real???

oh yeah lets take a dozen board games with us on the train today....:rolleyes:

25. macduke Suspended

macduke

Really good ideas in this thread. A dev should pop in here and make some of this happen!