iPad buyers remorse

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jebbuit, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Jebbuit macrumors newbie

Jebbuit

I recently purchased an iPad 1st gen, 64gb wifi+3g for around $300. I installed my apps and whatnot (Only the ones formatted for iPad), and began browsing. It was okay. But something just doesn't feel right with this device. Everything seems too spread out and everything just seems too large for comfortable use. I have the iPod touch, and I must say that I love that device. Despite being smaller, it goes with you anywhere. The touch adjusts with you and is comfortable to hold and use, and I just don't feel that with this iPad. I can't quite put my finger on what is specifically causing me to feel this remorse, but all I want to do is sell this thing.
    I am assuming everyone here loves their iPad, but did you have remorse at all within the first few weeks of ownership?

2. -TYLER macrumors regular

Why would you buy an iPad 1 now....

Have you looked at the nexus 7?

3. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

If I go a while without using my ipad I kind of lose my rhythm I guess. But after using it I get more and more used to, and even reliant on it.

4. Jebbuit thread starter macrumors newbie

Jebbuit

I am completely new to the tablet market and I ignorantly bought this without putting any research into any tablets.
    I bought the iPad 1 specifically because it had the best ratio between storage and price.

5. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Seriously? Nexus 7?

Use the ipad 1, if you do a lot of surfing, email, pictures, basic stuff like that I think you will like it. Just go a weekend or week without using your computer, use only the ipad, then see what you think after that. Find some good apps and fun games for it too.

6. freudling macrumors regular

To the OP.

The iPad is the go to device for:

1. Reading books and PDFs;
    2. Surfing the Web;
    3. Video.

7. AndreAudi macrumors newbie

I myself have just bout a iPad 1 64gb. For 200$ it was a good price to own a iPad and see if it is for me. The first week it did take a little to get used too. I would give it a little bit of time and I'm sure you will adjust. I told myself if I liked the experience I would purchase the 4th gen when it comes out. I'm not at all mad about not receiving a iOS 6 update. I purchased this knowing I would have it for less then 10 months. Overall I know understand what all the buzz is about. Havent open my laptop in a week.

8. JoeSixPack macrumors member

JoeSixPack

Agreed, plus newspapers and comic books. As long as you think of it as a device to take in content you will find good use for it. It excels as a vacation or road trip device. Just don't try to produce content.

9. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

We have a 1st gen & a 3rd gen at home and we love them. I read books, mags & comics on mine as well as watch Netflix, Hulu & Xfinity. The gf plays games & surfs the web on hers.

The only remorse either of us has had so far is when we forget to plug them in and charge them. ;)

10. Jebbuit thread starter macrumors newbie

Jebbuit

Welp, I reached my eBay selling limits apparently. I guess I am stuck with this iPad for a little while longer. :mad: Maybe this is a sign. :confused:

11. -TYLER macrumors regular

Craigslist?

12. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

The purpose of me buying an iPad was to use an iPad. Not to use an iPod. I have both but use them in different applications. I have about 10 games on my iPad and over 100 on my iPod touch. I didn't get the 1st gen iPad because I like the retina display better.

I use my iPad for reading, design work, and other business stuff. When its quiet or when I travel I use it as a gaming device while I listen to music on my iPod Touch. Basically what everyone else has stated.

Yes the touch is different because you can navigate using one hand. I found different ways to navigate on my iPad. Its pretty cool. Keep playing with it, maybe things will come around.

13. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I've never heard of ebay selling limits?:confused:

14. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Ya seriously. The Nexus 7 looks like an excellent tablet and is 25% of the cost of my iPad 64GB 4G. I've got one coming in a couple of days and I'm really looking forward to it. It is certainly well worth considering.

15. -TYLER macrumors regular

Nexus 7 is cheaper, faster, has a camera, better resolution, Light weight and sleeker. Remember i am comparing it to the iPad 1 he bought.

Only problem is no 3G, and 16gb storage, but there is always cloud storage.

I would highly recommend the nexus 7 over a iPad 1, unless you care for the 3G.

16. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

But it runs on Android:D. I can certainly see situations for a 7" tablet, but...

it runs on Android:D.

----------

See my previous post:D.

But really, its $100 cheaper for 1/4 the storage and a much, much smaller screen. Who cares about a camera on a tablet, not most people. And running Android over iOS, even on a newer device is not going to be as smooth and enjoyable.

17. noteple macrumors 65816

If you have a touch what was your reason for an iPad?

My touch / iPhone the screen was just to small to comfortably browse. Every other move was pinch and zoom.

I would soon tire of watching a movie or reading a newspaper through a 3.5" window.

Some things just beg for a larger screen, but maybe it's just too large for you.

The iPad 2 took a lot of the weight off the iPad 1 and did change the experience.

18. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Ipad 1 is dying. Even Apple is not updating it to iOS 6. To put $300 into it now is a waste of money. What's going to happen when more apps require dual core, more memory or iOS 6? Surf, email, pictures, basic stuff? At this price point the $250 Nexus 7 16gig makes more sense. It is the first Android tablet that I recommend. I would have recommended the iPad 2 but that was before the Nexus 7 was officially announced. A operating system that has bypassed iOS, 4+1 core processor, 1 gig of ram, 1280x800 res display, directly supported by Google and cheap cost with high build quality. And expect more tablet apps because developers can focus on one primary tablet that will sell in great numbers.
    If you want to stay with Apple I would only recommend the iPad 3 but your paying a $500 minimum. Or wait for the rumored iPad mini. That should be cheaper and makes a good competitor to the Nexus 7. I believe iPad 9.7 will be dethroned once a cheaper iPad mini has been on the market for a few years.

19. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Yeah but Jelly Bean with project Butter is unlike any Android operating system that came before it. An acquaintance went to Google I/O and showed me his. After playing around with it for about 20 minutes I went ahead and per-ordered my own. I love my iPad (2) but the Nexus is a very sharp an capable little tablet. And in terms of size I think it's a lot more portable. I can easily fit it in my back pocket and in the winter/fall it'll fit in a jacket pocket too.

I'll post a full review once I get it. Should be next week from what I understand.

20. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I can't wait for you to get yours and let us know how it is. Im really mostly kidding, I understand the advantages both ways, but this is an Apple forum:). I personally have seen nothing from Android that even tempts me yet, but some day they will come up with something. I hope so anyway.:cool:

21. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Anyone with a Apple logo as their avatar cannot be trusted 100%. Some people cannot believe a good deal when they see it. I prefer Android but I love the idea of a large screen iPhone and a smaller iPad. Problem is that Apple is taking too long. And people that make fun of Android never really used it or they had some crappy phone and got frustrated. Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly bean are light years ahead of previous Android operating systems. Imagine reading the same book 5 times with only very minor differences. That is iOS.

22. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

Seeing that portability is a factor for you, the assumed iPad 7.85 inch is probably best for you. Assuming it does exists.

23. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Haha, yeah, I do have that Apple logo:). I do think Android has come a long way, I can't wait to play with something with decent hardware running Jelly Bean, that I have not done yet and it certainly does look nice.

I hope you guys know I am doing this arguing in good spirits. I am a geek, I'll admit, and love the back and forth when its in good fun. I am a minority among my friends with Apple and with iOS, so I have a good time with it. Although more and more of my friends and family are getting Macs and iPhones and iPads. They are learning:).

24. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

To each their own I suppose, but I've owned all three generations of the iPad and have produced content on all of them. iPad 1 was mostly document creation in iWork. There weren't a ton of really effective photo editing apps available at that time. iPad 2 I started using GarageBand to demo song ideas as well as the previous iWork stuff. With the 3rd generation and the retina display I use it for almost all of my photo editing. I like being able to use a collection of apps that are all good at different things to do produce different effects.

I still do a lot of content creation on my Mac as well. If I need to create logos or work with lots of image layers then I'll go to the Mac, but for photography work I couldn't live without my iPad.

What the OP hasn't told us is what he bought the iPad to do. It sounds like he wanted more storage space than his current iPod Touch and thought a $300 iPad would be a better deal than a high capacity iPod. Unfortunately, it sounds like he didn't pick the right product for him.

This is why making decisions based solely on price and on-paper specs is never a good idea.

25. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

i know this is off topic, but really this whole thread is now anyway:), what photo editing apps do you use on your ipad?

And I totally agree on the whole price and specs thing. I don't think thats what anyone here was solely basing there opinions on though. But I do see way to many people doing this, and really most Android products can only sell themselves this way.