iPhone 7(+) Ipad charger destroys iphone battery?

ilikewhey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
i just got a replacement battery from apple for my iphone 7 a month ago, and its already down 3 percent in max capacity charge, the only charger i mainly use is the one that i have with my ipad pro, apple told me its completely safe using the higher wattage charger and i prefer it since it charges soo much faster, but given now the replacement program is 50 bucks vs 30, i'm not too keen on going back to replace every 5 months or so (5x3=15 percent charge lost).

are there other fast chargers out there that won't do that?

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
Any fast charger will have an impact on the longevity of the battery. Having said that, iPad chargers are pretty safe for iPhones. I’ve been using since years without issues. The battery capacity really depends on charge cycles and if you’re a heavy user then it might just be a normal thing. How did you measure the battery capacity anyway?

Reactions: Azathoth123

now i see it

macrumors 601
Jan 2, 2002
The original tiny 5 watt charger that comes with every iPhone was designed for the little iPhone 4 battery size. Today's batteries are much larger, making that charger undersized for newer phones.

The charger circuitry that controls current going into the iPhone is built into the iPhone, not the thing you plug into the wall. The iPhone only will accept what the internal charging circuitry will allow regardless of how many watts the AC wall device puts out.

Last edited:

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
I use the iPad charger exclusively when I’m traveling and for the first 6 months I’ve owned my X and a 7.5w Anker charging stand at home for the last 6 months and haven’t noticed any issues after a year. Battery capacity showing 97% on coconut battery..

Reactions: HEK

Civil Engineer

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2013
i would take the phone in and ask the store why it is not allowing a full charge. Sounds like a defective battery, not the charger.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
The link on #11 is showing it t may be fraudulent and trying to steal personal information. When I bring it up.

Last edited:

imagineadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2011
Got my 7 battery replaced too with apple at the end of September. About two months later dropped down to 97% (from 100%) and has been there ever since. Perfectly normal. Just use the phone and don’t worry!!

realpras

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2013
While it's safe on short-term, I think it's not good in the long-term. This is based on my iPhone 7 Plus, which in 2 years the battery capacity dropped down to 82%. I'm using 10W iPad charger to charge it quicker. Meanwhile, my girlfriend's iPhone 6 is already 4 years old and yet the battery capacity is still lingering at 86-87%. She uses the normal 5W charger.

I could be wrong, but based on this comparison alone, I think using stronger chargers will make the battery capacity reduces faster in the long run. And this is on phones that do not officially support fast charging, I don't know about iPhone 8 onwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: ilikewhey

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
While it's safe on short-term, I think it's not good in the long-term. This is based on my iPhone 7 Plus, which in 2 years the battery capacity dropped down to 82%. I'm using 10W iPad charger to charge it quicker. Meanwhile, my girlfriend's iPhone 6 is already 4 years old and yet the battery capacity is still lingering at 86-67%. She uses the normal 5W charger.

I could be wrong, but based on this comparison alone, I think using stronger chargers will make the battery capacity reduces faster in the long run. And this is on phones that do not officially support fast charging, I don't know about iPhone 8 onwards.
Apple makes their devices to use with any of the chargers they offer.

Reactions: HEK

ilikewhey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Apple makes their devices to use with any of the chargers they offer.
i feel like there is something apple is not telling us,

this isnt the first time i noticed this, prior on my 6s i also noticed a big drop in battery health whilst using the ipad charger

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
i feel like there is something apple is not telling us,

this isnt the first time i noticed this, prior on my 6s i also noticed a big drop in battery health whilst using the ipad charger
At the same time others haven't experienced that.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
https://imgur.com/a/rv5vOgH

the battery is literally a month old.
Considering that battery health is an estimate with an inherent margin of error, 97% is basically still 100%.

In some ways, allowing users to see the battery health is the worst thing Apple could have done, and that’s why they avoided it for so long. There’s no way that you notice a 3% difference in longevity. If you couldn’t check the percent, you’d be happily using your phone, maybe for years to come, without a care.

ilikewhey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
At the same time others haven't experienced that.
me and another user pointed it out, so i guess u don't speak for all the others lol
[doublepost=1548913613][/doublepost]
Considering that battery health is an estimate with an inherent margin of error, 97% is basically still 100%.

In some ways, allowing users to see the battery health is the worst thing Apple could have done, and that’s why they avoided it for so long. There’s no way that you notice a 3% difference in longevity. If you couldn’t check the percent, you’d be happily using your phone, maybe for years to come, without a care.
if its an inherent margin of error of 3 percent thats fine, they would've probably kept it hidden if it wasn't for all these law suits they got. i know battery degrates overtime and i'm fine with paying apple 50 bucks to replace it, but if its not an inherent error and i'm losing 3 percent in a month thn its a problem.

Banglazed

macrumors demi-god
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
I believe it’s safe to use iPad charger. I’ve been using 18 watt USB-C adapter for awhile now to quick charge before leaving the house. The problem with fast charge and wireless charging is the heat generated that can degrade battery. My battery health is still 100% and Coconut Battery shows over capacity at 3190mAh

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
me and another user pointed it out, so i guess u don't speak for all the others lol
Certainly not all others, just pointing out that this isn't some type of a consistent widespread thing that would point to some type of conspiracy of someone hiding something.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
[doublepost=1548913613][/doublepost]
if its an inherent margin of error of 3 percent thats fine, they would've probably kept it hidden if it wasn't for all these law suits they got. i know battery degrates overtime and i'm fine with paying apple 50 bucks to replace it, but if its not an inherent error and i'm losing 3 percent in a month thn its a problem.
The other thing is that you (and others) assume that it’s a linear progression. It’s not. Even if your battery has degraded 3% in a month, you might find that it experiences no further notable degradation for the next 6 months! My advice to you is just to use your phone and don’t bother even looking at the battery health until you actually notice that the battery life has gotten worse. Even without Apple Care, if your battery falls to under 80% health while under warranty Apple will replace it for free.

Also, I’m one of the many who uses an iPad charger on my iPhone. I have for years, and I’ve never had any issues with battery longevity.

Reactions: Cayden