iPad Continues to Dominate Tablet Purchasing Plans, Eating Into eReaders and Portable PCs

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 10, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ChangeWave Research today released the results of a February survey of U.S. professionals and early-adopter consumers showing that even before the unveiling of the iPad 2 customers were continuing to turn to the iPad when considering tablet purchases. According to the report, 82% of surveyed customers who were planning to purchase a tablet were looking to acquire an iPad, with competitors such as the Motorola Xoom, Research in Motion BlackBerry PlayBook, and Samsung Galaxy Tab all barely registering in the 3-4% range each.

Apple's iPad also continues to enjoy stellar consumer satisfaction ratings, with 70% of users registering as "very satisfied" and an additional 25% pegging their position as "somewhat satisfied".

In taking a broader look at tablet customers' buying preferences, the survey also found that tablets, dominated by the iPad, continue to eat into planned purchases of devices such as eReaders and portable PCs, with 17% of tablet-owning respondents reporting that they put on hold or canceled the purchase of a Kindle because of their tablet purchase. Netbooks and traditional notebooks also took a hit, with 10-11% of tablet purchasers reporting that they had delayed or canceled planned purchases in each of those categories of devices.

[​IMG]

Finally, ChangeWave surveyed customers planning to purchase an iPad in the near future about wireless service, finding that 24% of customers planned to purchase AT&T service, compared to 17% planning to use Verizon service and 27% opting for Wi-Fi only. An additional 30% were undecided. Notably, Verizon's solid appeal was present even before Apple unveiled the new iPad with built-in support for Verizon's network. With the original iPad, customers looking to use Verizon service have been limited to Wi-Fi iPad models paired with MiFi hotspot devices.

Article Link: iPad Continues to Dominate Tablet Purchasing Plans, Eating Into eReaders and Portable PCs

2. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

Oh my god guys! I heard the Titanic just sank! :eek::(

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Considering the first serious competitor to the ipad didn't come out until this year, I'd wait a year to really see how well the ipad is doing.

4. xwinger macrumors regular

xwinger

seems like the same news story over and over again :apple:

5. Fraaaa macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

I just want to know how many Xoom on day 1 and how many iPad2 on day 1 in the US. That says all.

6. SBeardsl macrumors member

I'd be interested (not pay for the report interested but interested) to see the customer satisfaction ratings for the Galaxy Tab to compare to the iPad.

7. La-d-da macrumors newbie

La-d-da

I will be picking up my iPad killer tomorrow... the iPad2.

8. La Porta macrumors regular

La Porta

They compare tablets with netbooks/laptops, but I'd also like to see if they are having an effect against desktops as well. I know that for years laptops have been gaining ground against desktop PCs, but do the tablets only take away from those planning to buy portable computers, or do they also swing those that have been contemplating a desktop, as well?

9. sjdigital macrumors regular

Well, as we say in Belfast, it was alright when it left here!

10. Popeye206, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2011

Popeye206 macrumors 68040

Popeye206

The real story here is how the heck are all the other players going to make it fighting for a piece of 20-30% of a 50K unit market?

Seems as though a couple will stand out and the rest will struggle to find they're footing in the market and some will just bow out.

The thing that is most unique about tablets is they can be part of the information and entertainment eco system and if they are not part of one, their use and value goes way down in the minds of the general consumer.

Me too! For the daughter. :D

11. err404 macrumors 68020

I like my iPad, but the HP Touchpad is the most interesting device on the horizon. Unfortunately it is extremely unlikely that WebOS will get the developer support that it needs to really succeed.

12. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

Have the current Kindle, wouldn't trade it for an iPoop. :p

When are they going to get back to basics and update the Macbook (hopefully not the way the "updated" the Pro).

13. toddybody Guest

toddybody

Seriously, can we have some...IDK, MAC RUMORS by chance? All this rehashed market analysis is getting old. If I see one more pie chart, Ill...buy a Xoom. Yeah, you heard me! Im done playing around!

14. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

But how many people participated in the survey?

15. techpr macrumors 6502

techpr

16. toddybody Guest

toddybody

Hmm...I think i remember you saying this in a previous post...and it makes me wonder. Hmmm...uh, oh yeah...Im getting one for my, uh , daughter too. Dont be afraid to profess your love for girly iDevices to us pal...youre in good company my friend.

17. JaSuS macrumors regular

JaSuS

I DARE YOU...:apple:

18. Robin4 macrumors 6502

In my case, I seem to fit in pretty much with the results of the survey. I bought my iPad at the Apple store. I've delayed buying a new laptop, my G4 is still kicking, I don't use it as much anymore. I'm buying an iPad2 for my son's b'day. Satisfaction - 90%.

BTW, someone I know is considering engraving his new iPad "till death do us part", lol.

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Really?

[​IMG]

Checkmate. Pay up now....

Also

[​IMG]

I do realize it's an old chart, but it counts

20. firewood macrumors 604

Those are the purchase estimates. The more important number will come after factoring in the actual return rates for all these tablets.

I expect the iPad 2 and Kindle 3 will dominate even more.

21. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

I'm getting mine engraved with "Until next iPad keynote do us part"

22. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

aww that is soooo cute. Posting charts and stacking up the ipad versus other tablets that JUST hit the market or aren't really out yet. It's one thing to be a fanboy but another to distort reality. :rolleyes:

23. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Wait a year until the first serious competitor comes out?

When did one come out?

I just see lesser and more expensive ipad clones. They are certainly not going to do anything.

What do you think the Xoom will be doing a year from now?

Why do you want an updated macbook when you can just buy a ti calculator? That is along the lines of you comparing an iPad to a kindle.

24. Popeye206 macrumors 68040

Popeye206

LOL! No worries... I'd love one for myself too, but the daughter needs one more and to be honest... it's to drive my x-Wife nutty! She hates Apple stuff because I loved them so much... even back in the 80's when we got married... so... having more Apple gear in the house (where my daughter lives now) will drive her batty! So really... it's iRevenge! :D